The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160749 times)

Offline David Snyder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #60 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Need a little help here. Have been reading all the posts refering to the Clam Cordless drill adaptor and cordless drills to use. Wondering if I should keep my 6" Nils as a hand auger, purchase the clam conversion kit & a new cordless drill or just purchase a new gas auger?
Does the Clam cordless adaptor fit on a 6" Nils? Thinking of purchasing a 20v lith Ion 1/2" Milw hammer drill w/ (2) 4 Amp batteries to make this work. I was told the Clam doesn't fit the Nils but the person that told me wasn't sure? My biggest problem is, we have 24-26" of ice. Obviously we don't have this kind of ice every year, but this year is the exception.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Does the Clam cordless adaptor fit on a 6" Nils?

The Nils wont work as its not the telescoping handle.

Nice!!! You should do a review on the whole setup.

This thread is a review on the same setup im using..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Look at "destroying my Ridgid drill" on youtube. It was enough for me to buy a Milwaukee. If I lived near a service center, I would buy a Ridgid for sure. If one of you guy would be so kind, please post a link to the video. Prepare to laugh! WARNING: Some choice words are used.
just watched,that dude was not happy with ridgid.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:33 PM »
just watched,that dude was not happy with ridgid.
The drill seemed fine. The brand new batteries are what set him off! The poor drill was caught in the crossfire and lost. ;D

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Anger management
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:57 PM »
I picked up a K-Drill 6 inch and running it with a Milwaukee M-18 with the heavy duty battery.  Love it. Already sold my 6 hand auger, and for all the ice I am faced with normally, don't need much more.  Still haven't convinced myself to sell my 10 inch Mag 2000. in case I go where there may be 24 or more inches of ice.
Bud

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:37 AM »
Baitbucket the original post was a rigid 18 with a mora auger. Is that a laser on your rigid setup?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Baitbucket the original post was a rigid 18 with a mora auger. Is that a laser on your rigid setup?

Its a finbore auger, both use shaving style blades. Will be little to no difference. The real test is the drill, and him and I have the same one.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #68 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:36 AM »
I picked up a K-Drill 6 inch and running it with a Milwaukee M-18 with the heavy duty battery.  Love it. Already sold my 6 hand auger, and for all the ice I am faced with normally, don't need much more.  Still haven't convinced myself to sell my 10 inch Mag 2000. in case I go where there may be 24 or more inches of ice.
       IFF, couple of questions for you.

1, How thick was the ice
2, How many holes with one battery
3, Do you have the 3.0AH battery or the 4.0AH

I used the K-drill with the Ridgid 18V hammer Drill 3.0AH batteries, 7 degree temp. 12"-14" of ice, cut like I was going though butter but only 7-8 holes per battery  >:( when I got home I tried the batteries out before recharging and they still had a good charge in them. Makes me think maybe drill or batteries went into overload. Maybe I should have purchased the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel with 4.0AH batteries $299. Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:50 AM »
       IFF, couple of questions for you.

1, How thick was the ice
2, How many holes with one battery
3, Do you have the 3.0AH battery or the 4.0AH

I used the K-drill with the ridgid 18V hammer, 7 degree temp. 12"-14" of ice, cut like I was going though butter but only 7-8 holes per battery  >:( when I got home I tried the batteries out before recharging and they still had a good charge in them. Makes me think maybe drill or batteries went into overload. Maybe I should have purchased the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel with 4.0AH batteries $299. Any input would be appreciated. 

When I did the test with the ridgid hammer drill on 16" of ice the temp was around 0-5 degs. I drilled 39 holes, one after the other through 16" of ice until the battery died. I keep the batteries in a thermal lunch bag with hand warmers. I also drilled about a dozen 6"holes last weekend through 24-30" of ice and still had plenty of charge on the one battery used. I am getting ready to pick up new blades for my mora 8" auger and test it this weekend on about 24-30" of ice. After watching the k-drill video, I think the problem may be the speed that is required to cut the holes? But this is only a guess. The mora blades shave the ice, where as a lazer cuts more aggressive. I will post my findings after the weekend.

Thanks

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:59 AM »

Had my batteries in a thermal lunch bag also, but no hand warmers. Your results were with a 6" Mora ?

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Yes, my test results were with a 6" mora auger. I am testing the 8" mora this weekend. I am also working on another project, I am going to weld a 1/4-1/2" wood screw on the bottom of the six inch auger. i am hoping by doing this I can easily drill two 6" holes side by side. The screw should act as a guide for the auger and prevent it jumping all around when trying to drill holes side by side. If this works than it may be suitable for fishing walleye with a six inch auger through thick ice.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Check out cordless drills-reviews-.com. Lots of info on drills / batteries.
Oops! is too late.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:30 AM »
   I used the K-drill with the Ridgid 18V hammer Drill 3.0AH batteries, 7 degree temp. 12"-14" of ice, cut like I was going though butter but only 7-8 holes per battery  >:( when I got home I tried the batteries out before recharging and they still had a good charge in them. Makes me think maybe drill or batteries went into overload. Maybe I should have purchased the Milwaukee M-18 Fuel with 4.0AH batteries $299. Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Because of how aggressive the head is on the K-Drill the extra Torque from the milwaukee is needed. The less aggressive Shaver blades, like whats on most hand augers require less torque and u can use drills in the 600lb torque range.

To give you an idea as to how aggressive the K-Drill is. I have heard people have tried to use it on the Ion and it binds up the Ion.

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #74 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Because of how aggressive the head is on the K-Drill the extra Torque from the milwaukee is needed. The less aggressive Shaver blades, like whats on most hand augers require less torque and u can use drills in the 600lb torque range.

To give you an idea as to how aggressive the K-Drill is. I have heard people have tried to use it on the Ion and it binds up the Ion.

I bought the Milwaukee fuel series with the 4.0 amp hour battery and used it yesterday for the first time. I used it on my 6 inch strike master auger.  I got 30 holes through 12 inches of ice. I checked the battery life and it was on half. Couldn't be happier and I still have another full battery. Weighs five pound, stores easily in my sled. Can't find a problem.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Its a great drill. Guys are seeing similar results with other drills as well.

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #76 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I just bought a M18 Fuel , have a Lazer 6 inch, with new blades, And conversion kit. Will try it next week, I am 63 years old, Last time I went out I drilled 4 holes though 10 inchs of ice, Thought I was going to fall over, doing it by hand.  Used to be easy,  Hope this new setup helps.

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I just bought a M18 Fuel , have a Lazer 6 inch, with new blades, And conversion kit. Will try it next week, I am 63 years old, Last time I went out I drilled 4 holes though 10 inchs of ice, Thought I was going to fall over, doing it by hand.  Used to be easy,  Hope this new setup helps.

You will be pleasantly surprised with this set up, little to no effort drilling holes.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Firstly, there is no "best" drill for this setup.

However if your going to invest in this setup it behooves you to check out each manufacturers warranty. Reason being: Your using this drill for a purpose and in an environment it was not designed for.

After alot of research, the Rigid brand drill offer the best warranty. Lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries (yes both, i confirmed this). For repairs/replacements you can take it back to a Home Depot with a service department. They have the parts to fix or replace it there.. All you have to do is register your product online. Takes about 5 mins, super easy..

This is what I found, please feel free to reply with any corrections.

(Image removed from quote.)

You folks should not let the warranty issue weigh too heavily on your decision.  Most of the "lifetime" warranties only apply to the tool life -- that's defined as the production run for that specific model.  Since these are electronic devices, you can expect models to be discontinued on a frequent basis.  Once the tool is discontinued, the manufacturer won't support it.

-- Sentence removed by author --

And, as someone else has mentioned, once a manufacturer figures out how we are using these drills, they won't honor ANY claim.

Buy quality.  Buy value.  Don't buy warranty.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:40 AM »
AMEN!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:41 AM »

With the T handle that comes with these drills i passed on the added weight (~7lbs) of the clam drill plate.

I went with just a drill adapter that goes to the chuck, so I can remove it and use the drill around the house if needed. I can also pop it off and use it to screw in my ice anchors which is an added bonus as well.

I was going to use foam as flotation incase the chuck became lose and the auger fell down a hole. But instead i made a plate out of 1/8in aluminum that secures the adapter to the drill with a piece of bungee cord. Kind of like the Ice Master Adapters.  http://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit?source=googleps&gclid=CJCJhYD4t7wCFTJp7AodpzAAHQ

Here is the one I made. The whole setup w/auger is 11lbs

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:45 AM »
What fee? News to me.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:45 AM »
You folks should not let the warranty issue weigh too heavily on your decision.  Most of the "lifetime" warranties only apply to the tool life -- that's defined as the production run for that specific model.  Since these are electronic devices, you can expect models to be discontinued on a frequent basis.  Once the tool is discontinued, the manufacturer won't support it.

I contacted Rigid regarding their warranty. The tool is covered for as long as you own the drill..

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:49 AM »
What fee? News to me.

News to me too

Per the Rigid warranty website:

"What We Will Do to Correct Problems

Warranted products will be repaired or replaced, at Ridge Tool’s option, and returned at no charge; or, if after three attempts to repair or replace during the warranty period the product is still defective, you can elect to receive a full refund of your purchase price."

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I contacted Rigid regarding their warranty. The tool is covered for as long as you own the drill..
I was told that if they do not have the tool in the future, you would get a newer model. Ridgid tools seem good to me, the batteries are what made me hold off for now.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:54 AM »
With the T handle that comes with these drills i passed on the added weight (~7lbs) of the clam drill plate.

I went with just a drill adapter that goes to the chuck, so I can remove it and use the drill around the house if needed. I can also pop it off and use it to screw in my ice anchors which is an added bonus as well.

I was going to use foam as flotation incase the chuck became lose and the auger fell down a hole. But instead i made a plate out of 1/8in aluminum that secures the adapter to the drill with a piece of bungee cord. Kind of like the Ice Master Adapters.  http://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit?source=googleps&gclid=CJCJhYD4t7wCFTJp7AodpzAAHQ

Here is the one I made. The whole setup w/auger is 11lbs
Great design!
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I was told that if they do not have the tool in the future, you would get a newer model. Ridgid tools seem good to me, the batteries are what made me hold off for now.

What is it about the rigid batteries that has you worried? Please dont say that 2yr old video posted above of the 3+ yr old drill.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:35 AM »
The batteries were brand new from Ridgid. :wacko:  They replaced them under warranty. :woot:  What video are you bringing up?

Online MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:45 AM »

Also, the Rigid warranty requires a substantial flat fee for each claim. 

And, as someone else has mentioned, once a manufacturer figures out how we are using these drills, they won't honor ANY claim.

Buy quality.  Buy value.  Don't buy warranty.

Ridgid does not have a "lifetime warranty". It is a 3 year warranty and if you register it within 90 days it has a "life time service agreement".
Just because the tool is discontinued doesn't mean they will not support it.
There is no "substantial flat fee for each claim" the customer pays nothing if it is under warranty not even return shipping.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:45 AM »
The batteries were brand new from Ridgid. :wacko:  They replaced them under warranty. :woot:  What video are you bringing up?

You have lost me here. Are you referring to the video posted of when the guy goes nutty on his drill with a hammer?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.