Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Jul 22, 2014, 07:23 AM
Click here to order with free shipping.

Team Iceshanty Patches! Most iceshanty boards are represented

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 5808 times)

Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Financial investment??? Ummmm it is totally minimal. My milwaukee fuel 18v setup is totally attainable for $250 in fact i got mine built for just under $225. I own a eskimo 8" gas auger and i kinda got sick of the gas auger problems, 1) mixing gas 2) gas/oil on my hands 3) hard starting 4) heavy auger..... So I made up my mind I was going electric.  After much research I decided to build my own auger.... and I have no regrets!!! The Milwaukee fuel 18v is THE drill for the setup. I now own a inexpensive, 13 lb, powerful and fast  7" electric ice auger that is perfect for the ice fishing that I do. It truly is a fantastic way to go, I would highly recommend it to anyone that has a hand auger they are willing to convert to this type of setup. I cant say enough about it, easily the best ice fishing investment I have ever made!!!

whitefishmt

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Financial investment??? Ummmm it is totally minimal. My milwaukee fuel 18v setup is totally attainable for $250 in fact i got mine built for just under $225.
Just curious where you found Milwaukee fuel 18v with 4 ah batteries and charger for under $225.00??

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:15 AM »
The Milwaukee fuel 18v is THE drill for the setup.

Firstly, there is no "best" drill for this setup.

However if your going to invest in this setup it behooves you to check out each manufacturers warranty. Reason being: Your using this drill for a purpose and in an environment it was not designed for.

After alot of research, the Rigid brand drill offer the best warranty. Lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries (yes both, i confirmed this). For repairs/replacements you can take it back to a Home Depot with a service department. They have the parts to fix or replace it there.. All you have to do is register your product online. Takes about 5 mins, super easy..

This is what I found, please feel free to reply with any corrections.

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular

• There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:20 AM »
I have an 18v Makita with the old style pod batteries that I use to drive a 6" eskimo. Worked great for the first couple years, especially on the relatively small amount of ice we see in MA. But as the batteries aged the performance has gone down hill, as you might expect. One battery is fine and gets me through about 50 inches of ice with a 6" auger attached (2.5 holes through 20 inches of ice last weekend) before dying. The other battery is totally useless on the ice. Trouble is around the house the drill is fine and the "diminished" battery life isn't any trouble.

With the cost of replacing the batteries what it is I'm thinking I'd be better off just switching to a small used gas job or saving up for an ion/ice gator. Especially given that I go up north a few times a season and have to contend with serious amounts of ice.

I loved my drill setup, but will be leaving it behind. For anyone still dealing with the torque problem, you don't get bruised or tossed around if you brace the drill against your thigh first, and then lean into it as you drill.

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Most of these newer hammer drills come with the attachable T Handle. Allowing you to hang onto the drill with two hands.

prospector

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Look at "destroying my Ridgid drill" on youtube. It was enough for me to buy a Milwaukee. If I lived near a service center, I would buy a Ridgid for sure. If one of you guy would be so kind, please post a link to the video. Prepare to laugh! WARNING: Some choice words are used.
flash in the pan!

big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict

• cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:35 AM »
looks cool @)...but what temps are we talking..from experience...anything with a battery will fail in colder temps..ive used every kind of battery on construction sites here in upper michigan...and ANYTHING...AND EVERYTHING with a battery will soon fail you in temps below 10 degrees.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

colclaed

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:35 AM »
When I take out my portable my clam auger is all I bring.  Were at almost 20" of ice now with no problem.  I just lift it up every six or so inches to clear the shavings.  I am using a old dewalt 18 volt and can get a dozen or so holes from a battery.  I just bring a couple and leave the spares in the truck in a cooler.

mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict

• to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:52 AM »
If one is fishing basicly for pan fish,it just seems to me that a 5 inch hole should be plenty big enough... :-\
too cold ....aint going out there..

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Look at "destroying my Ridgid drill" on youtube. It was enough for me to buy a Milwaukee. If I lived near a service center, I would buy a Ridgid for sure. If one of you guy would be so kind, please post a link to the video. Prepare to laugh! WARNING: Some choice words are used.

Are you referring to the video from two years ago of the guy who goes ballistic on his 3+yr old drill with a hammer?

If one is fishing basicly for pan fish,it just seems to me that a 5 inch hole should be plenty big enough... :-\

Most guys are using 6-7in augers. Which will fit alot of fish thru the ice. In order for a fish to get stuck in a 6in hole it would need a girth of over 19inches..

whitefishmt

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Firstly, there is no "best" drill for this setup.

However if your going to invest in this setup it behooves you to check out each manufacturers warranty. Reason being: Your using this drill for a purpose and in an environment it was not designed for.

After alot of research, the Rigid brand drill offer the best warranty. Lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries (yes both, i confirmed this). For repairs/replacements you can take it back to a Home Depot with a service department. They have the parts to fix or replace it there.. All you have to do is register your product online. Takes about 5 mins, super easy..

This is what I found, please feel free to reply with any corrections.

The Ridgid drill and batteries have a 3 year limited warranty! IF you register the tool, batteries and charger within 90 days you get a "lifetime service agreement"! You have to register!!!! Make sure and follow up on the registration and get your LSA number! If you buy a tool and return it and get a "over the counter replacement" it only has a 3 year warranty. Keep your receipt for any of the tools for warranty! Some will not warranty with out receipt!
And lastly (as someone else stated) that most warranties do not cover failure due to normal wear or tool abuse.

Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:04 AM »
I purchased the fuel drill for $85(drill only) and the batteries for $50 each all new off Amazon (I have seen used equipment go cheaper on ebay). I stared looking around in early fall and purchased a piece here and a piece there. Got my clam plate from BPS for $45 on a internet promotion xmas sale. I sold all of my Dewalt tools 7-8 yrs ago and moved exclusively to Milwaukee power tools, so i already had a charger. I looked on you tube at drill comparisons and talked to my tool guy at work and it became obvious that the fuel drill with it's 725 in/lbs of torque and increased rpm is the best choice for this project. I honestly do not care about a warranty since I'm sure that we are all probably voiding it anyway. I know that I am abusing my Milwaukee drill by strapping it to a clam drill plate, chucking it up to a 6-7-8" auger and then drilling a ton of holes in 12-24" of ice on a frigid lake. I'm just not honestly going to try to warranty a tool that I'm having so much fun abusing!!! ;D ;D ;D. The xc-4.0 batteries are perfect for this application. They just plug and play, providing full power down to zero degrees without any special warm storage or storing them in your pockets. IMO the Milwaukee fuel is easily the best drill for this setup!!!

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:31 AM »
I think you will see the same performance out of either drill. One just has the warranty to cover your bases.

dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:49 AM »
good review

Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I buy quality tools to cover my bases. In my job (commercial/industrial electrician) I have seen Milwaukee tools take INCREDIBLE abuse and continue to perform. Like I said, I am not personally worried about the warranty. If I were planning on trying to warranty the equipment 5yrs on the drill is more than adequate. Every li-ion battery, regardless of brand, has a charge life so 3yrs is plenty of warranty on the batteries. Check out "K-drill ice auger" on you tube. The Milwaukee fuel is the ONLY drill that they recommend for their system. That rigid tool video was hilarious and is also the way I feel about junk tools that don't perform thanks for posting.

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I buy quality tools to cover my bases. In my job (commercial/industrial electrician) I have seen Milwaukee tools take INCREDIBLE abuse and continue to perform. Like I said, I am not personally worried about the warranty. If I were planning on trying to warranty the equipment 5yrs on the drill is more than adequate. Every li-ion battery, regardless of brand, has a charge life so 3yrs is plenty of warranty on the batteries. Check out "K-drill ice auger" on you tube. The Milwaukee fuel is the ONLY drill that they recommend for their system. That rigid tool video was hilarious and is also the way I feel about junk tools that don't perform thanks for posting.

The Rigid drill is a quality product backed by THE BEST warranty. There really is no argument against that.
Does the same job as your Milwaukee, costs less, and has a better warranty..

As for the K-Drill, they suggest the Milwaukee because of how aggressive the blades/cutting head are on them.

Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Do you own a drill auger setup baitbucket???

BaitBucket

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Do you own a drill auger setup baitbucket???

Yup..
I bought this drill for his setup and for use around the house in the off season.

Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Nice!!! You should do a review on the whole setup.

slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:30 AM »
 Great reviews guys.......lots of info,i dragged my 8" strikemaster out on the ice on the weekend across snow
with 5" of slush on top.....what an ordeal .This thread has got me thinking for next year.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved