The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160747 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #150 on: Aug 03, 2014, 01:47 AM »
I checked Clam's website they still offer the drill plate conversion kit without the auger bit section. The price is $59.99 item is currently out of stock.
Steve

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:36 AM »
any idea when they,ll have them in stock? i keep checking the site about once a week, but no luck yet. gettin ANTSY to get one. bought a milw. fuel 18 v. drill to do some work around the farm, ,n, such. may as well use it for play.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #152 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Good man for the early start, Gills-only.     ;)2

What a bargain, last year @ $49.95 , well, some outlets but maybe not all.

Looks as though inflation has upped the tariff.       :woot:     And, they have included a bit/auger.

You best have a seat before checking this out, YIKES !

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/auger-combo.html
                                    Just like anything else, find a good product, they run out of stock,(made too few) lets hose the consumer, I can see making a profit but double?!! Are they a sponsor? That's good advertisement!!  I'm sure its American made, just MY thoughts!!  Might think twice about even considering one now.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #153 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:45 AM »
any idea when they,ll have them in stock? i keep checking the site about once a week, but no luck yet. gettin ANTSY to get one. bought a milw. fuel 18 v. drill to do some work around the farm, ,n, such. may as well use it for play.

Checked some sites

Sportsmanguide  10/27/14

Gander Mtn  09/17/14

most other sites are just stating" backordered" or " seasonal item available in October"
I am looking to get one also ...less wear and tear on the drill and me ..my DeWalt/Lazer combo is good but its a learning curve ..that lazer likes to grab the last bit of ice before punching through ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Talked to them at Gander Mountain they don't know when they will get them and have no idea on price.  They don't update the websites that often!!  Also e-mailed Clam and they said early this fall!

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Aug. 3 is early fall. ain,t it?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:59 AM »
That's what I'm thinking!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Aug 03, 2014, 10:56 AM »
You can probably order one from clam now and they will ship it when they come in. That's what I did last year. I ordered it in august and got it in October. Their shipping fees are pretty high. Check Reeds in Walker, they have better shipping. Also I would think about putting the Blue Mora auger on it instead of the Lazer. It cuts much smoother and the replacement blades are cheaper. I have the 6 inch Mora and a 6 inch Lazer and the Mora is a lot smoother than the Lazer and it doesn't hang up at the bottom of the hole. With the Milwaukee Fuel 18 it's as good as my 6 inch Nils gas auger minus 6 lbs. and no gas to fool with.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Aug 05, 2014, 07:12 AM »
THANK YOU, DAN. this is the kind of review i can use. very informative. wire

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Aug 05, 2014, 05:32 PM »
                                    Just like anything else, find a good product, they run out of stock,(made too few) lets hose the consumer, I can see making a profit but double?!! Are they a sponsor? That's good advertisement!!  I'm sure its American made, just MY thoughts!!  Might think twice about even considering one now.

Easy there Chief, you aren't comparing apples to apples.  ;)

Clam offers two products:
-Auger conversion plate: $59.99
-Conversion kit combo:   $149.99

The conversion kit comes with the conversion plate, a 6" auger, and the handle for the auger if you chose to not use the conversion plate.

The conversion plate is what you are looking for if you already have a hand auger.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Aug 05, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Sorry for any confusion I caused, I was looking at the combo, I only want the plate, my mistake, $49 last year and $59 this year not that bad.  Sorry guys for getting everyone jacked up!!

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #161 on: Aug 05, 2014, 08:52 PM »
The plate was on sale for $49 at some places last year, but was $60 MSRP.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Got my auger plate after waiting most of the summer, Gander Mountain, now the drill !!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #163 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:58 PM »
Bass pro still has them at $49.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #164 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Would anyone recommend any changes to the Clam plate or do you like it the way it is? I'm thinking of prototyping one out on the CNC mill.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:46 PM »
will I be getting 1/2" or 3/8" drill? variable speed drill? anyone using a regular drill or is everyone using a hammer drill and using the drill mode?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Using a 18v 1/2" Milwaukee brushless hammer drill(2604-22). Just getting set up as I think I have a good set up as per reading reviews.  Say not to run in hammer mode.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Using a 18v 1/2" Milwaukee brushless hammer drill(2604-22). Just getting set up as I think I have a good set up as per reading reviews.  Say not to run in hammer mode.

You'll love it same one me and a buddy uses and it's a beast!

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Hope someone can help me out here. Can I put my nil hand auger on clam plate I have drill just wondering what more I need to put all together?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I think there is a thread somewhere(search mode) that says the Nils wont hook up with out custom made adapter, someone correct me if I am wrong!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #170 on: Nov 29, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Auger has to use a telescoping handle to work. The nils has a folding handle.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Nov 29, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for post

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I think there is a thread somewhere(search mode) that says the Nils wont hook up with out custom made adapter, someone correct me if I am wrong!!

Also the Nils hand auger with the red blade is too aggressive for the drill. Run out of power too quick.
Nils makes a unit called a convertible with a black blade made for drill use. It also comes with a handle in case you drill too many holes and run out of juice.
That's what I have and it's awesome.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:44 PM »
You need a 1/2 inch drill for the Clam Plate. The hammer drill has heavy duty gearing and should hold up better. Brushless drills won't heat up and shut down as much a the brush drills. Do not use the hammer mode it will werch your auger. High torque drills 600 or more inch pounds of torque and 400 or more rpm on the low setting will turn your auger better. A 4 or 5 amh Lithium battery is best to drill ore holes. A shaver auger such as a Mora will work better than a Lazer with a chipper being the worst. A 5,6 or 7 inch will give you the most holes. I use the Milwaukee Fuel 18 (2604 ) with 2 4 amh Lithium batteries (725 inch pounds torque at 550 rpm on the low setting on the Clam Plate with either a 6 or7 inch Mora auger. I get 40 to 80 holes per battery depending on ice thickness which auger and temp. One thing to consider is these are not ment to replace a gas auger. I have used mine to drill 36 inches of ice but I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. For 24 inches or less I love it. Not planning on selling my Nils power auger any time soon.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Nov 29, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Yes I have Milwautee Fuel 18 hammer drill. so what you are saying I need ext with threads on one end that go in drill and a short shaft that go in auger

luv2fish2

« Reply #175 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:49 PM »
so i'm thinking that a chipper style might be better that's what a k drill is and it was specifically designed for a cordless and that's what's on my eskimo z51 8" auger i just don't have any experience with the k drill but website it looks like it goes threw like nothing still on the fence with what auger to use . used a lazer last year i agree it takes a lotta drill to use it but man it is fast gotta try my mora this year but mine has the threaded handle not like a lazer yeah i got a milwaukee also

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:16 PM »
The shaver blades are made for this setup. The Lazer and Nils are to aggressive and bite to deep. I can cut faster with my 7 inch Mora than I can with a 6 inch Lazer and it dosent hang up when you break through. Another ice thing is the replacement blades are cheaper.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #177 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Would anyone recommend any changes to the Clam plate or do you like it the way it is? I'm thinking of prototyping one out on the CNC mill.

I figured you could whip one up in your shop.
Last year there was a guy on here that had milled one out.
I have made 2 of them using plywood.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #178 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:22 PM »
The shaver blades are made for this setup. The Lazer and Nils are to aggressive and bite to deep. I can cut faster with my 7 inch Mora than I can with a 6 inch Lazer and it dosent hang up when you break through. Another ice thing is the replacement blades are cheaper.

Huh......wonder why clam has the lazer style blades on the augers that come with the plate. I have a 7in shaver worked well gonna try a 7in lazer.

luv2fish2

« Reply #179 on: Nov 30, 2014, 04:17 PM »
so i picked up a  k drill ( for a very good price from a member)  today got to order an adapter for the clam plate to make it work i can't wait for ice it's a 6" but on their website if you need bigger it has a pilot point i'll drill one beside it if i'm jiggin for walleye i'm so stoked yeeeoowww ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.