The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160774 times)

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I wanted to give a review for anyone considering using a cordless drill with a ice auger. While researching this on the web it would appear it can be difficult to hold the drill and not end up with a broken or bruised hand/arm while drilling, do to the torque from the drill. Here is what I have put together.

I recently purchased a Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit (plate only) for $59.99 from Gander Mountain. I paired this with a 6" mora hand auger and a Dewalt 20 volt Lit cordless drill with 1.5 ah batteries and 300 watts of power for $99.99. I also tested with a 8" lazer and mora auger.
This set up with the dewalt drill was was able to drill 17 holes through 6" of ice with the 6" mora auger bit on one battery. When I tried to 8" lazer I barley got one hole drilled with a fresh battery and about killed the drill. While the results were fair, I was not sold on this yet.

On my second attempt to build a cordless drill auger with the Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit I paired it with a 18 volt Rigid lith hammer drill with 3.0 ah batteries and over 600 lbs of torque for $199.99. I tested this on Saginaw Bay over the past few days on 12" of ice and here are the results.

I first tried the 8" mora and was able to drill one hole but the drill was working to do so. I could of drilled a few more but didn't want to kill the drill.. I then remove the 8" auger and put on the 6" mora and a new battery. I was able to drill 39 holes with ease through 12" of ice on one battery. It drills the hole in a matter of seconds, with very little pressure applied. I was very happy with the results and this auger is now with me on every trip. Since I like to use 8" hole or bigger for walleye, I have been drilling two 6" holes side by side while on the bay and it has worked out great and I really see no need for a bigger auger bit. They sell an extension for $14.95 which I will be purchasing since it looks like this will be an epic year for ice conditions.

Here are a few more things I really like about this set up.

The total unit might weigh 12-13lbs
It chews threw the ice with ease
You pull the trigger and start drilling and its silent
Because of the Clam plate it is very easy to handle when drilling
I can drill 78 6" holes through 12 inches of ice on two batteries or a total of 936 inches of ice.

Here is a pic of my new Clam Ice Auger

For anyone looking to use a cordless drill with an auger, I highly recommend this setup. The key is to use a high torque drill on the lowest gear setting and 18 volt 3 ah lith batters or higher.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:48 PM »
same drill i have with a 7 inch lazer works awesome, great review!!!!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:53 PM »
My buddy picked up one this year with clams 6" auger. It cut thru the ice nicely with his Dewalt 20v drill. Combo was super light (13-14 lbs). We only drilled about 25 holes (6-7" ice) total but he had 2 batteries just in case. Im told if you remove the batteries and keep them warm it will last a lot longer than if you just leave it out in cold. As stated, it is a very compact setup, probably only 40" or so so get the extension.

With the comments about battery life however I am concerned about mid season and longevity.  I also wonder with a higher quality auger like a nils if results might improve. I know my mora was a Piece.
I hole hop and have punched over 150 Holes on 1 outing with my gas auger.

If you go to same spot and fish everytime this would work great, if you chase fish or have thick ice, I might be more skeptical.

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Great review!  This setup is amazing!  I still have to get the adapter because the conversion kits sold out so fast that I was only able to get the Drill plate and I want to hook it up with my Kluge 6" bit.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:41 AM »
I could drill all day with my 4" Fin Bore head ;D, just happen to have a few Rigid 18v LI drills and batteries around too. Nice part is, with Rigid's  lifetime warranty, if you kill a battery or drill, you get another one free of charge. You won't get that from the Auger Manufacturers.

May just have to look into that setup.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:52 AM »
same drill i have with a 7 inch lazer works awesome, great review!!!!!

How many holes can you get one one battery with the 7" lazer and in how thick of ice?

Thanks

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Interesting that bumping up to an 8" basically kills the concept.

Thanks for the detailed review.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Do the math.  there is almost twice as much ice in a 8" hole vs a 6 ;)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:03 AM »
I fully understand the mathematics, but find it interesting that you can go from basically 30-40 holes with a 6" to essentially none.  Logic will lead you to believe that if you are drilling nearly 50% more volume then you would be able to do roughly half the number of holes.  But I"m sure there is a threshold in the energy/torque delivered by a drill in which it says, "no mas".

8" hole is my preference and it seems that this technology isn't quite there yet, but understandably the product might not be driven at the 8" market.

From everything I've seen and used, nothing battery powered has come close to an Ice Gator.   

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:16 AM »
It is not 50% more volume.  That is where most folks' understanding goes south. pi X r X r X h is the formula.  Going from 6 to 8 changes the r X r part from 9 to 16 resulting in 78% more work.  You are right about the drill going "no mas".  :)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:30 AM »
My math says that 12" of ice would be 340" of ice for a 6" hole and 603" of ice for an 8" hole.   Which would be about 46% more ice to drill in each hole.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Your math is good but you analysis of the results is not. 603-340=263. This is the difference between the holes. 236/340=77%this is the percent difference.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:37 PM »
If I need calculus to drill a hole, I'll stick with my 4" in Fin Bor ;D

Simply put, the drill doesn't have enough ooomph to drill 8" holes.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:19 PM »
the cold must have retarded my math skillz.  LOL   my bad.  :)

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:29 PM »
If I need calculus to drill a hole, I'll stick with my 4" in Fin Bor ;D

Simply put, the drill doesn't have enough ooomph to drill 8" holes.

RG
I love my 4 inch auger except my U/W camera won't go down the hole.  You can drill 4 holes 4" with the same work it takes to drill 1 hole 8". ;D

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:37 PM »
I wanted to give a review for anyone considering using a cordless drill with a ice auger. While researching this on the web it would appear it can be difficult to hold the drill and not end up with a broken or bruised hand/arm while drilling, do to the torque from the drill. Here is what I have put together.

I recently purchased a Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit (plate only) for $59.99 from Gander Mountain. I paired this with a 6" mora hand auger and a Dewalt 20 volt Lit cordless drill with 1.5 ah batteries and 300 watts of power for $99.99. I also tested with a 8" lazer and mora auger.
This set up with the dewalt drill was was able to drill 17 holes through 6" of ice with the 6" mora auger bit on one battery. When I tried to 8" lazer I barley got one hole drilled with a fresh battery and about killed the drill. While the results were fair, I was not sold on this yet.

On my second attempt to build a cordless drill auger with the Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit I paired it with a 18 volt Rigid lith hammer drill with 3.0 ah batteries and over 600 lbs of torque for $199.99. I tested this on Saginaw Bay over the past few days on 12" of ice and here are the results.

I first tried the 8" mora and was able to drill one hole but the drill was working to do so. I could of drilled a few more but didn't want to kill the drill.. I then remove the 8" auger and put on the 6" mora and a new battery. I was able to drill 39 holes with ease through 12" of ice on one battery. It drills the hole in a matter of seconds, with very little pressure applied. I was very happy with the results and this auger is now with me on every trip. Since I like to use 8" hole or bigger for walleye, I have been drilling two 6" holes side by side while on the bay and it has worked out great and I really see no need for a bigger auger bit. They sell an extension for $14.95 which I will be purchasing since it looks like this will be an epic year for ice conditions.

Here are a few more things I really like about this set up.

The total unit might weigh 12-13lbs
It chews threw the ice with ease
You pull the trigger and start drilling and its silent
Because of the Clam plate it is very easy to handle when drilling
I can drill 78 6" holes through 12 inches of ice on two batteries or a total of 936 inches of ice.

Here is a pic of my new Clam Ice Auger

(Image removed from quote.)

For anyone looking to use a cordless drill with an auger, I highly recommend this setup. The key is to use a high torque drill on the lowest gear setting and 18 volt 3 ah lith batters or higher.
   Is this the drill your using now. ??

18V Lithium-Ion X4 Hammer Drill 615 in. lbs 1/2" chuck ----Model #R8611501K  https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/x4-18-volt-lithium-ion-hammer-drill      Thanks For your help

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Yes, I am currently using the Rigid hammer drill. As I continue to use this set up this winter, I find myself liking it more and more. In the future I am going to pair it up with a 7" lazer auger and see how it performs.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I got an Ion last year and it eats up the ice with an 8in auger.
I put my 6in mora on it and punched 80 holes thru 13in of ice and still had battery left. It was insane.

The ion with the 6in bit on it is about 19lbs.

I do like the fact that these serve a dual purpose. During the off season for ice, you have a real nice cordless to use as well.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 1madcrappies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Can anybuddy tell me were I can get 1 of thoses clams ket I been looking every where for it with no luck please and thank you

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Interesting that bumping up to an 8" basically kills the concept.

Thanks for the detailed review.
I have noticed a significant difference using a 6" and 8" hand auger , both with sharp blades.
Think about it, it is cutting 25% more surface.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Nice review! I have been punching holes with a 36v Dewalt for about 4 years. I use a 4" & 7" Strike master auger. Do you have to put much downward pressure on it? Is that hard on the back? When drilling, I keep my drill close to the body and let my fat belly do the work. Not recommended on bare ice without cleats. ;D

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:18 AM »
Can anybuddy tell me were I can get 1 of thoses clams ket I been looking every where for it with no luck please and thank you
Good luck!! all retailers I searched are saying sold out for the season. Maybe someone will get another shipment in.

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:53 AM »
Nice review! I have been punching holes with a 36v Dewalt for about 4 years. I use a 4" & 7" Strike master auger. Do you have to put much downward pressure on it? Is that hard on the back? When drilling, I keep my drill close to the body and let my fat belly do the work. Not recommended on bare ice without cleats. ;D

When using the clam auger plate, I apply very little pressure when drilling holes, and you don't have to hold it right against your body like with the drill adapters. Its just like drilling holes with a gas auger, but with less pressure applied and no binding. I think clam had no idea how big of a hit this product would be, hopefully they are making more as I type this. There are still a few out there you just need to search the web.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:51 PM »
How many holes can you get one one battery with the 7" lazer and in how thick of ice?

Thanks
well i think the ice was 8 to 9 inches and i got 30 holes per battery

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:12 PM »
I use a Dewalt 20v with 1.5 lithium batt ...today I got 8 holes with a 8in Mora drill in 8 in of ice. I plan on getting a 6 Lazer this weekend . Hope it increases the number of holes per battery
How are the edges ?

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:50 PM »
Clam recommends a Lithium Ion drill of at least 3ah.  My buddy uses the Dewalt 20V that has a 4ah battery and he's selling his gas auger now and only using the drill plate!!!   @)

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:02 AM »
I just ordered a second plate from bass pro ($49.99+s&h) I had to call the main number since they were not listed on-line and they had a few left. I paired my clam plate with a Milwaukee fuel brush less 18v. It has 725in/lbs of torque and 50 extra RPM over it's brushed counterpart. I bought two of the xc-4.0 batteries and built a 15" extension for my 7" strikemaster mora auger. I easily punched 30+ holes in 12+ inches of ice last weekend on one battery with power to spare. I simply set the auger down where I want a hole and squeeze the trigger, the 13 pound auger is all the down force needed to make the hole. I have yet to need my second battery in any of my outings this season. I really need to see exactly how many inches of ice I really can do..... It just hasn't taken 100 holes for me to find at least a few takers this season. In fact it may work a little too well since I'm ordering the second plate for a buddy that ran mine once and is ready to give up the gas for good. (which means I get to assemble another drill auger somehow???) I highly recommend the clam drill plate and IMO the Milwaukee fuel with the 4.0 batteries is unbeatable in the cordless drill auger world. My 2 cents. ;D ;D ;D

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:35 AM »
I am getting ready to load up and head to Saginaw Bay for the day. This will be a good test for the combo as the ice is 22-28" thick. I will be using my 6" mora and drilling two holes side by side for walleye. I will report back the results this weekend. Also the 20 volt dewalt with the 1.5ah batteries just didn't cut it for me, not enough torque or battery life. This is why I went with the 18 volt rigid hammer drill with over 600lbs of torque and the 3ah batteries.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I'm using similar setup rigid drill 18v with a strike master adapter that cost 12.99.7" mora I can get 10-15 holes thru up to 10" of ice per battery.Tried drilling thru 17" last week and was a no go.It was also 5 degrees out in 15 mph winds...not ideal.Your not supposed to put any pressure on drill when drilling holes not sure if those handles really help.Just my 2 cents.Also keep the battery packs as warm as possible

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:14 PM »
I use an old school 18v Ridgid Nicad drill, with around 510 or 550 in-lbs of torque, mated with a 6" lazer auger, and an adapter called the "ice kicker" off ebay for about $20 shipped.  My drill has the auxiliary handle which I have mounted opposite of the drill handle, so it's stable and setup like a pogo-stick or jack hammer handles.  I can get around 20+ holes through 10-12" of ice per battery pack and have even used it through 20" of ice, but I only get about a dozen holes then.  The kit came with 2 batteries and bought an additional battery along with it 7 years ago, all with a lifetime warranty.  I refreshed the batteries a few years ago with the warranty, at no charge, so it's like I have a brand new kit again.  I also picked up a 4th battery a few years ago, but that didn't come with a lifetime warranty.  The auger adapter was one of the best investments I've bought for ice fishing to date!  In my area in Iowa, we only get around 10" of ice per year average, sometimes up to 18" but a little over 12" this year.  My gas auger hasn't seen the ice the past 2 years and I've never run out of battery power on the ice, and i drill lots of holes.  I see the guy came out with an "ice kicker 2" adapter with a drill plate, handle, and reduction gears, so supposedly you can use up to 8" augers.  I have no experience with the ice kicker 2, but I would think you could get even more holes with that unit.  You can look it up on ebay or youtube, the maker states.  However, I see no need to go beyond my setup I have now along with my gas auger on standby when necessary...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.