Author Topic: Ice fishing boot survey  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing boot survey
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:58 PM »
  I am one of those old guys that has sweaty cold feet always, and need some waterproof ice fishing boots .
  Figure you Alaskan ice fishermen know what works the best.
  I have seen those Cabalas Sack  boots and Baffin boots on the cabelas web site. Are they any good?
  Any other boots  worth loooking at ?

Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
Re: Ice fishing boot survey
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:40 PM »
I just ordered a pair of unissued white bunny's from these folks.(http://store.colemans.com/cart/boots-and-footwear-c-7.html] ) your feet will never get cold with bunny boots and they are cheaper that most of the hi tech boots
Bob

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:37 PM »
There's the good Micky's boots and some cheap ones my buddy got the crap ones that cracked. I use sorels for 3 years no problems. -40 for 3 hours no heater

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:51 PM »
White bunnies for me.  :)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:12 PM »
When it is cold out I wear my Sorels and they keep my feet warm in the coldest temps.  They are not water proof though and if you are in Slush/overflow, than you may get wet feet.  The white Bunny boots are the most popular up this way wether it is ice fishing or working on the slope they will keep your feet warm and dry.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:13 PM »
I have the Cabelas Alaska series pack boots that work real well when I am riding my sled or it is bitterly cold, very clunky boots that I always trip over.  I have a pair of the Clam outdoors Onyx Boots that I got at the beginning of this season that are waterproof and warm. The best part is they are very lightweight. Here is the link.   http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_armor/footwear/icearmor-onyx-boot.html
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:08 AM »
I have a few pairs of boots I use. When it's in the 20's I like my Muck boots. I have a pair of Sorel's I use when it's colder than that. I also have a pair of Baffin's but they are my least favorite and sit on the shelf waiting for the day when my Sorels are wet or lost. I have old sweaty feet too and the Baffin's made my feet sweat real bad then the sweat would soak into the liner and they would lose they're heat value. When I buy boots I always look for ones with removeable liners so I can pull them out to dry which is the down side of Mucks but they breath super well.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:36 AM »
LaCrosse Alpha Iceman Pac Boots work real well for my sweaty dogs !  we do alot of hoofin it to the ice and once there, really put the march on, pullin sleds by hand .  then its sit and wait time. boots wick moisture good and retain warmth. they can handle a few inches of slush all day as well.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Let me ask you a question Homewrecker before I offer you an opinion! What kind of sock's are you wearing before you head out into the cold? You could have on the world's finest waterproof boot's and if you aren't wearing the right kind of sock's, your feet are still going to get cold! Never, ever wear cotton sock's next to your skin! They will make your feet sweat even more! Get yourself a pair of good wicking sock's. Or just put on a pair of ordinary nylon dress sock's next to your skin. Then put on a pair of Smartwool sock's! You can find them here:  www.Smartwool.com No doubt at all in my mind that you will feel a world of difference! I have a pair of Irish Setter's with 2000 gram's if Thinsulate and I love them! My feet never get wet and they stay warm and never sweat! DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:46 PM »
When it is cold out I wear my Sorels and they keep my feet warm in the coldest temps.  They are not water proof though and if you are in Slush/overflow, than you may get wet feet.  The white Bunny boots are the most popular up this way wether it is ice fishing or working on the slope they will keep your feet warm and dry.
What he said. If theres no over flow i where baffins big and bulky but warm and light.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:41 PM »
x2 on the smart wool socks!  I love smart wool socks, they wick the moisture away and allow your feet to stay dry.  They are around $20 I believe, but well worth the money.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Let me ask you a question Homewrecker before I offer you an opinion! What kind of sock's are you wearing before you head out into the cold? You could have on the world's finest waterproof boot's and if you aren't wearing the right kind of sock's, your feet are still going to get cold! Never, ever wear cotton sock's next to your skin! They will make your feet sweat even more! Get yourself a pair of good wicking sock's. Or just put on a pair of ordinary nylon dress sock's next to your skin. Then put on a pair of Smartwool sock's! You can find them here:  www.Smartwool.com No doubt at all in my mind that you will feel a world of difference! I have a pair of Irish Setter's with 2000 gram's if Thinsulate and I love them! My feet never get wet and they stay warm and never sweat! DIRTBALL2 ;)2

I have tried some of those high end wicking socks.....thats what they do ,wick all the water out of your body into your boot and freeze.
I used to spray my feet with a antiperspirant ,that was  awesome ,zero sweeting ,but can not find it on the shelf anymore.
Been using those life time guarantee  wool  socks from pro bass . Been the best so far.

I have those Dakotas   work boots rated for -100 ,leather uppers they are good except after cutting holes all day you get wet feet..

To make them waterproof I place plastic bags between the felt liner and boot.....has to be a better boot out there.
I hate those taller work boots that have felt liners (rig boots) that are water proof,because when you pull your foot out the liner come out always
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline akair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Your feet are getting wet because they can't breath. I have a pair of cabelas pac boots,  and they are great, the real trick is to insulate your foot from the ground/ice. They are big and clumbsy, but how much running are you going to do on the ice? I used to have Lacrosse Pac boots but they eventually cracked and water penetrated which made them horrible. We go on fishing trips were we are on the ice 7 days straight 12hrs atleast and cabelas boots are the only way to go. I too have sweaty feet, and I used to have bunny boots which don't get me wrong worked but you could ring the water out of my socks when i got done at the end of the day.

Offline repeatspawner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Any pac boot with a liner will freeze completely solid if you submerge it in overflow at below freezing temperatures.  Bunny boots don't have liners and warm back-up after dumping the water out.  Boots with liners freeze solid at low temps. 

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I spend a lot of time camping in the winter. I cant talk about bunny boots I never liked them comfort wise  but one of the things that I do is take an extra pair of liners with me that way when I go to bed I take the wet liners our and in the morning put new dry liners in that way my feet start out warm and dry for the day.   

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:41 AM »
i love my bunny boots, but the point about wet feet was how I used to feel until I found liners made for them.  These liners are called Bama Socks, and are awesome for any waterproof type boot. I use these in my extra-tuffs all summer and then switch them to the bunny boots in winter.  Feet are always dry and warm.  Check them out, they are totally worth the money. 

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Are they free like the bama phone?    :P
Bob

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:18 PM »
i love my bunny boots, but the point about wet feet was how I used to feel until I found liners made for them.  These liners are called Bama Socks, and are awesome for any waterproof type boot. I use these in my extra-tuffs all summer and then switch them to the bunny boots in winter.  Feet are always dry and warm.  Check them out, they are totally worth the money.

Look like a good deal, I just ordered two pair of them  :tipup:
Bob

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:48 AM »
White Bata Bunny boots work good at keeping my feet warm. I wear heavy wool socks with them, just to wick the sweat away. I may have to try them Bama socks.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:28 AM »
White Bata Bunny boots work good at keeping my feet warm. I wear heavy wool socks with them, just to wick the sweat away. I may have to try them Bama socks.

I wear polypropylene wicking socks with smart wool over socks in mine.

Offline Mochag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:52 AM »
I have lived in Alaska for almost forty years and have hunted, fished and trapped all those years.  Like stated before, bunny boots are waterproof and will keep your feet warm no matter what.  If you sweat in them, you can take them off and wipe them out.  The drawback is they are big and clunky.  The Baffin's are good, remember to get an insert that breaths and wicks moisture from the inner boot to the out.  I have a pair of twenty year old LaCross Ice Kings, rated for 40 below and they have breathable inserts, however I dont think they make them anymore.  Basically there are alot of options out there that probably would help you.  I will say this, NEVER, trust the rating of boot from the company that makes them.  Usually these rating are under optimum conditions, dry, moving etc, and dont really provide the warmth they say they will while sitting still fishing. 

Offline BobbynofisH907

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Bunny boots hands down I've been stuck in 45- 55 below with no wind chill and my bunny boots have never failed

Offline I Fish Icefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:25 AM »
My arctic mucks are the best light weight waterproof warm boots I have ever owned!
Lets go catch some fish!

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:40 PM »

I just received two pair of bama sox via fedx I will try them out with white bunnies soon thanks for the tip
Bob

Offline marty424

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Alaskan Pike Assassin
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:38 PM »
I have tried all sorts of boots as my feet sweat and they get cold, bata bunny boots work the best if you have feet that sweat, they are waterproof and if your feet get wet they will still be warm. Nothing is worse than wet cold feet it ruins the whole trip. Bunny boots are big and kind of bulky but they are very comfortable.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:44 AM »
i've been using anti perspirant on my feet for yrs to keep them from sweating. if it's real cold & I'm not planning on moving much I'll throw a hand warmer in each boot at the ball of the foot. Sorels,bunnies,bafins, cabelas trans alaskan are all good. it just depends on what works best for you personally. ;) :tipup:

Offline GreeceMonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:04 AM »
I've been using Neos overboots out on the ice. It is what we use up on the slope and they are very proven. I've worn them out in -50 fahrenheit and colder. A little more bulky (although light) but the nice parts are I can wear a pair of sneakers and light socks inside, they have traction spikes, 100% waterproof up to mid shin and the chances of stepping in an ice hole are very slim with the amount of surface area on the bottom.
"A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else"

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:44 AM »
I've been using Neos overboots out on the ice. It is what we use up on the slope and they are very proven. I've worn them out in -50 fahrenheit and colder. A little more bulky (although light) but the nice parts are I can wear a pair of sneakers and light socks inside, they have traction spikes, 100% waterproof up to mid shin and the chances of stepping in an ice hole are very slim with the amount of surface area on the bottom.

They sound like what I am looking for.  I have always bough good insulated boots, however my problem is my feet get warm, then sweat, then get cold.  Have you experienced any of that using them.

Thanks,
Ted

Offline GreeceMonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:45 AM »
They sound like what I am looking for.  I have always bough good insulated boots, however my problem is my feet get warm, then sweat, then get cold.  Have you experienced any of that using them.

Thanks,
Ted

Not at all. Very breathable even when I wear a pair of steel toe Wolverine shoes at work inside of the Neo's. What makes them really nice is they are easy on and off. If your feet start to sweat, just slip them off for a bit.
"A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else"

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I also have a pair of the neos over boots and wear them over my mukluks trapping.  Mine are also studded.  It hasn't been cold enough to bother with the muks and over boots the few times I've been out fishing.  Ever since I had to run in bunny boots I have chosen not to wear them again if I can help it.   I've had PTSD since but for some reason the VA wont accept me for it LOL!  Talk about shin splints holy heck.

The nice part about the neos, they're waterproof up to my knees if I roll them all the way up.   They're still waterproof higher than a pair of bunnys rolled down.  I wear the old green army muks with the -100 liners in them.   Though I plan on buying a pair of stegers someday.   

When its warmer, or I'm too lazy to bring both pairs of boots I reach for my 100 below sorels.  They work but wont keep your feet dry.

I also wear the darntuffs (life time wool socks).  And 2nd the smart wools as well.  I use the darn tuffs when its warmer out.  When its really cold I go for my smart wool trekkers (red).

Something to consider about cold feet and sweating is how much effort are you expending.   I'm pretty fat and happy on my snowmachine.   If I'm hiking (which I dont have to do very often due to the machine lol), my feet will sweat, when I stop my feet can/will get cold.  Bring a spare pair of socks!     

We layer all of our other gear based on what we are or are not doing.   yet we expect one pair of boots/socks to do it all. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.