The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Lazer Pro fuel leak  (Read 4967 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Strikemaster Lazer Pro fuel leak
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:05 AM »
I had my brand new lazer pro on the ice for the 3rd time this season a few days ago. When roughly 20 holes through consecutive drilling the auger quit....I gave it a quick pull after pressing the blue button. It didn't start. I thought that was a little wierd and maybe it wasn't getting enough fuel, so I pressed the primer bulb twice. Upon the 2nd press of the bulb I noticed some fuel drip out of the plastic cover area over the fuel lines. The auger turned over and started just fine, so I drilled my next hole. The auger bogged down and spewed quite a bit of fuel from the same area. I immeidately turned the machine off and gave it a good lookover. I then tipped the auger over so the fuel leak was pointed towards the ice and fuel began running out of the same area. I'm incredibly frustrated and plan to call strikemaster on Monday morning to sort this out. I'm tempted to tear it apart, but given the auger is brand new I know strikemaster will replace parts or fix the auger free of charge. Anyone else had issues with the new strikemaster augers?

-I've used a circa 1991 Strikemaster mag 2000 with a Tecumsah powerhead and never had an issue.  I purchased the new auger in hopes this would be an upgrade. Not happy.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline shortfatandold

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Strikemaster Lazer Pro fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:42 AM »
man i love my 1991 strikemaster 2000 has never failed  me, but i drilled some holes with my buddies propane jiffy,WOW i was impressed it started easy and almost drilled holes by itself.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:40 AM »
That sucks.  I'd guess the daiphram failed and it puking fuel.

Hope ya kept your old auger since they will probably want it sent in.
Don

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Lol I just had the same thing happen to my year old Eskimo and of course I tore it apart to find the leak. In the process I break the fuel line and almost didn't get a new one due to Douglas life stile open late and close early weekend good luck uggg. So here is my question I filled the tank up and fuel starts leaking out so I take the tank off and fill it with water to find the leak and fix it. No leak I don't have a clue what to do next I put it back together and haven't put gas in it yet wish me luck or any ideas would be great.
No one left behind.     

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I had my brand new lazer pro on the ice for the 3rd time this season a few days ago. When roughly 20 holes through consecutive drilling the auger quit....I gave it a quick pull after pressing the blue button. It didn't start. I thought that was a little wierd and maybe it wasn't getting enough fuel, so I pressed the primer bulb twice. Upon the 2nd press of the bulb I noticed some fuel drip out of the plastic cover area over the fuel lines. The auger turned over and started just fine, so I drilled my next hole. The auger bogged down and spewed quite a bit of fuel from the same area. I immeidately turned the machine off and gave it a good lookover. I then tipped the auger over so the fuel leak was pointed towards the ice and fuel began running out of the same area. I'm incredibly frustrated and plan to call strikemaster on Monday morning to sort this out. I'm tempted to tear it apart, but given the auger is brand new I know strikemaster will replace parts or fix the auger free of charge. Anyone else had issues with the new strikemaster augers?

-I've used a circa 1991 Strikemaster mag 2000 with a Tecumsah powerhead and never had an issue.  I purchased the new auger in hopes this would be an upgrade. Not happy.

Hahaha!  The junk strikemaster curse!

Had the same thing happen with one a couple years ago, the recoil was overgreased and wouldn't rewind the first time out, and along about the third trip of the year, the clutch snapped in HALF.  This was on one of SM's "German engineered, made in China" Solo engines.

Last year it was out on the ice and either the clutch snapped in half again or a chunk of ring broke off and seized the cylinder...

Strikemaster is JUNK. 
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Just got off the phone with S.M. customer service. This is from the mouth of customer service- She knew exactly what the problem before I finished my senctence. I guess Solo has had some issues the primer bulb fuel line. The grommet that connects the 2 shrinks in cold weather producing a massive fuel leak. Solo has allready designed a replacement grommit and a larger fuel line for replacement.

When I asked the customer service rep if this is happenning on many of this years power heads? She went quiet...then explained that "the only thing we can do is provide our auger owners with excellent customer service."

Read between the lines here fellas.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I solved all my Strikemaster problems and bought a Jiffy and couldnt be happier with the results. :tipup:
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.