Author Topic: Up North Ya Der Hay!  (Read 1343 times)

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
Up North Ya Der Hay!
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Happy Holidays folks!

Any reports for the Northern Front Range up into the Northern Colorado Mountains?

Red Feather, Cameron Pass, etc. ????

Thanks!  Tight Lines To All!

The Woodsman

Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline Moosemilk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Up North Ya Der Hay!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:26 PM »
JW on Cameron has been fishing good as well as good size and numbers for bows out of Lake John.  Using black marabou jigs or Kastmasters. 

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Brother in-law and I hit Dowdy last week and caught over a hundred small 8-12" rainbows and browns! A lot of browns in there this year.
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:56 AM »
On p. 3 I have two threads on Lake John.  "North Park ready to go"  and "Nice Day at Lake John"
  Has a few pics of the catches.  We've been up 3 times already - never skunked - fat solid 17"-18".  Last week ice was 14"  I'm sure more by now.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Airman_x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:12 AM »
Went to Dowdy Lake on Saturday.  We caught 28 trout.  Mostly rainbows, some browns anywhere from 8-13 inches.  It was about 28 degrees and wind was blowing pretty good most of the day.  Others I talked to on the lake did about the same.  There were only 4 other groups on the lake.  The ice was 12 inches thick with about an inch or two of snow on top with some bare spots.  We fished on the east side of the two small islands in about 10-15 feet of water.

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:43 PM »
 :)  THANKS folks!
Headin' up to Red Feather this weekend.  Sounds like a wind and slush forecast, but what they hey!

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Well, Red Feather last weekend was tough.  We tried for bigger trout in Parvin.  We played by the rules and used no live bait.
That made it tough.
My son, Devin, however caught a Macinaw - about 14 inches and let it go; a small Rainbow that he threw back; and a really nice
16 " Rainbow keeper.

The WIND was from HELL! >:(
Used a hut and were glad we did but putting it up was like a scene from a disaster film!  Getting the ice screws in was really tough.

Love Red Feather except for the damned wind!

The Woodsman

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  Wind can be tough up there.  The mackinaw you caught was actually a splake.  I would recommend letting the bigger fish go in Parvin to make even bigger fish.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a good chance at 20"+ trout each time you fish it?  You can always stop by West and nail a few 12-14" if you want to eat them.  I might hit Parvin tomorrow but not sure due the wind forecast.

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Points well taken.  This was my first time icing Parvin.  I've belly boated there before and always done catch and release.  Fond memory of a 18" Rainbow tail-dancing across still surface as a Rocky Mtn. sunset colored both sky and water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.