The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Pro 4 HELP!!!  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Pro 4 HELP!!!
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:14 PM »
New to the forum and still trying to figure things out "also having R&C page issues" but thought I would hopefully get some advice from ya'll. So this is my first year getting into this sport and therefore I needed some gear. Purchased a Jiffy Pro 40 which started fine at my house, took it up to Scofield the next morning and the dang thing wouldnt start. Once I screw the bottle in immediately way to much propane is coming out of the carb. If I unscrew the bottle a ton of propane spits back out at which point leaving the bottle off I can pull the cord several times to where the air/propane ratio is back to normal and the auger will run for a few seconds until the little bit of propane left in it is burned off. Assuming I got a lemon I took it back to Cabelas, they replaced it. Took the 2nd one up to the Berry only this time transported the whole dang auger inside my truck. Started fine drilled two holes, fished for 3 hours and tried to start it again and once again had the same problem, temp was 14 degrees. Anyone had this problem? I'm just trying to decide if I should bag the whole propane auger all together or what. Yes my spark plug was always in the up position, yes the propane was warmed up and a good full bottle.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Jiffy Pro 4 HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:55 PM »
First off welcome to the shanty jigiton, I don't have much advice for that auger but I know prospector has the propane one and always unscrews the line from the bottle when not using it. Something about it leaking out the carb I think. You might want to post up this question on the auger board here

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0

Im sure somebody will have some advice there. As for the R&C boards you will need 3 posts for them to open up for you. Some members have been having issues with the Utah one but the other states that have them were fine

I just seen this post on the general discussion board about the jiffy propane auger, but I would still post up your question on the auger board

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=269051.0
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I seriously appreciate the help but at this point i'm done with the Jiffy propane. I brought the auger and propane inside the house for 3 hours, tried to start it and got the same result. In my opinion i cant freakin believe that Jiffy is putting this product out their. What a bunch of crap!!!

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy Pro 40 HELP!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Better get my 3rd post in so i can view the R&C page.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:50 AM »
I think I know exactly why- I did the same thing when I got mine.

If you lay it down the wrong way the oil will flood the engine. Look by the spark plug and you'll see a sticker that says "this side up". when you lay it down lay it down so that sticker (and the spark plug) is facing up. You'll never have a problem with it if you do that.

If you clean it up and let it sit for a while it should be fine when it dries out, like most other small engines. It'll smoke like hell when you start it up after it's been flooded but once the smoke burns out it's fine. In extreme cases guys have damaged their spark plug in this manner, which would require replacement. If it's the first time that shouln't be a problem.

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Redneck i wish that were the case but its not. Oil is fine as well as the plug i knew about that issue before i made the purchase. This issue seems to be a propane supply problem that is a defect on the actual auger. Once the bottle is screwed on it immediately floods the engine.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Did you just buy it? I know they redesigned a few things with the propane connection this year. I got mine last year and it's been fine. I'm sorry to hear that happened! I rave about the thing all the time on here, but you're the first person I've heard of having an actual problem with the thing since they worked the bugs out the other year.

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Yes its the "new and improved" model as in out of the box less than a week ago. I had my wife record me trying to start it but i cant figure out how to post it up for suggestions. I pm'd Musky so we'll see if he can walk me through it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Here's the short video you sent me jigiton, just click on the pic

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Thank you for posting that. I realize you cant hear it on the video but when the bottle is screwed all the way in propane starts flooding the motor. Once you unscrew the bottle and pull it enough to get the propane to air ratio back to normal it will fire for a second. Somebody has to know what is going on here??? My hope is that its somehow me and not the auger.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Have you tryed a different bottle of propane,also it looks to me that you don't have the bottle in the holder and have it tipped down this will allow liquid propane to flow out instead of gas,try a different bottle and put the bottle in the holder where it should be and see if that helps,if it doesn't it may be a bad regulator by the sound of the symptoms you have

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:40 AM »
That doesn't sound good, especially 2 of them with the same problem. I bought one the second year they came out and haven't had any issues, (Knock on wood) but there are people who have had issues with the fuel delivery system. They change the fuel delivery system every year I think. If you stick with it, these machine are great when running properly, if you don't, I can't say I blame you, Jiffy shouldn't let these units get by their QC department. It can cause serious injury.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I agree with Bigcrew,  with the cylinder inverted I think you'll be pulling liquid when it's meant to be using gas thru the regulator.  getting the air fuel mix right if you feed it liquid will be impossible. I haven't had the trouble you are in with mine.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:34 PM »
I am on my second season with mine and have had no issues... When starting, I do the slow half pull to prime and then a full pull... starts every time. I also leave the bottle connected when not in use... I didnt like the idea of screwing and unscrewing risking damage to threads. After sitting in the shop all summer... it fired right up using the start up procedure I just described.

Not sure why you have had two doing that same thing...

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I might actually try one more exchange but that would be the last. Its not the placement of the bottle it does the exact same thing whether in the official spot or not. It simply is dumping out way to much propane "and yes it is in a gas form when doing so". Its almost like a check valve or O ring is bad. Not regulating properly so maybe two bad regs heck if i know.

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:04 PM »
Come on there has to be someone on here that can pin this issue? Okay let me ask all you jiffy propane auger owners a question......should you hear a ton of gas coming out of the carb once the bottle is screwed in?

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:07 PM »
You know...you would think that a nation wide forum like this would attract enough attention from Jiffy that they would state an official answer to my problem. Maybe its because $560 is nothing to them so my problem means the same???

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I hear you bud. Jiffy will be getting a call from me in the morning about a generation two hose with two leaks.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I hear you bud. Jiffy will be getting a call from me in the morning about a generation two hose with two leaks.

DANG, sounds like the one prob has multiplied joe. I was pretty impressed using yours at the gorge  :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Are all the lines tight? Is the propane getting into the cylinder,this may sound stupid but try taping on the regulater,also see if there is a arrow on the regulater for the direction of flow it may have been put on wrong at the factory,and if the regulator. Is on correctly see if you can get the end of the regulator off inside there's should be an adjustment screw,you shouldn't have to go through any of this crap you bought a new auger and it should run like one good luck bud I hope you get it straightened out

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:33 PM »
DANG, sounds like the one prob has multiplied joe. I was pretty impressed using yours at the gorge  :-\
I love the auger. Since I bought it, it would fill my vehicle with propane. One time it left me without a way to punch a hole. After that, I always unhooked the bottle when done using it. I thought she was leaking through the carb. Now I think it was the fuel line all along. Sorry to hijack a thread! BTW Muskie, did I send you a pic of biggest fish from the other night?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:36 PM »
If you got one bigger than the 22 then no, nice fish man  :thumbsup: You know it probably has been leaking from that hose
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Try testing all of the connections with soapy water?  Maybe tapping the carb and reg with something hard while hooked up?

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:58 AM »
Give it full throttle while starting.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Come on there has to be someone on here that can pin this issue? Okay let me ask all you jiffy propane auger owners a question......should you hear a ton of gas coming out of the carb once the bottle is screwed in?
No you should not hear gas coming out. You'll hear an initial small "pff" when screwing on the tank. If you hear gas leaking, I'd take it back.
It must be something in the water.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:13 PM »
No you should not hear gas coming out. You'll hear an initial small "pff" when screwing on the tank. If you hear gas leaking, I'd take it back.

X2- maybe you got an assembly line misfire... they happen with everything. Exchange it for another.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I was talking with a friend of mine who has one and was telling him about your problem.  He said that his friend had the same problem with his and it turned out that the fuel line from the propane tank to the "carb" is made of soft metal and got pinched and wasn't letting enough propane in.  Now I have to say I don't have this auger and no personal experience with them but what he said makes scene to me. 

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:47 PM »
IMO you shouldn't have to troubleshoot a brand new auger. If it isn't running properly, take it back or call Jiffy and ask for a new power head.

Offline Jigiton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:07 PM »
NoMe i'll 2nd that. So here is where i'm at on this. Believe it or not i took the 2nd one back and got a 3rd with the only difference being that i decided to go with an 8" rather than a 10". I put it together in Cabelas parking lot and ran it then shut it off repeating the process several times. This one starts with what feels like half a pull and i cant hear any propane coming out when the bottle is screwed in. In other words so far its working as advertised which is what i paid for. I'll update as the season goes on but even if it runs for 30 years what a joke this has been.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Good to here you got it takin care of jigiton  :thumbsup: X2 on the joke part, may the rest of your hard deck season be problem free  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.