Author Topic: keweenaw bay  (Read 24712 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: keweenaw bay
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Any Cohos or Lake Herring?
I fished couple times and didn't see any, , last year was terrible for Coho fishing and I was hoping it changes this year.

Nope, no coho or herring at all yet.  I too haven't even seen any. 
Chris Raymond

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Well I hope the lake trout fishin is gunna be good then! Hoping the reefs will freeze over soon!

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I fished the drop by the lighthouse yesterday morning and caught a few herring, coho and smelt.  Some small lakers and a lawyer on the bottom.  55' of water.

Offline Pil#7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Awesome good mixed bag that makes it interesting ...
>))))•>    Keep er moist

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Is the ice still holding steady at the mission? Heard it was getting hit by north winds yesterday.

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Anyone willing to help a newbe out on how to fish the bay? I have fished it some in the summer and if you guys have gone outta baraga on a boat a good chance that i may have talked to you my gramps is Disney at the marina.

I am open to catching anything.
 Anyone use tip ups out there? Or is it mainly jig pole only?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:01 PM »
people use tip-ups in the shallower areas especially off of the baraga marina where there's lots of weeds, big pike in there.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Do you mean the south of the marina on the bp side or the marina side? I wouldnt mind hooking in to a nice oike or two. What do you think would be the best bait and size of bait? I have a good amount of smelt in the freezer along with sucker minnows that have died.

Also can ya catch perch in that area or are they more out towards the shanty town?

Hiw much ice is out there right now? How much snow and slush? Thinking about bringing the golf cart out

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Is the ice still holding steady at the mission? Heard it was getting hit by north winds yesterday.

Chase--The ice was a touch south of the mission on Sunday...there was a very strong wind from the south after mid-day when I was there.  No way was I going to go to the Tire Shop.  Report I heard two days ago is that the leading edge was broken and bobbing moreso than the weekend.  Can't imagine, it's gained much if any ground, safe or otherwise, over the last couple of nights. 
Chris Raymond

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Is the ice still good off squaw beach?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Is the ice still good off squaw beach?

Yes. Plenty of people fishing there

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Sounds good. Got to get my first laker!

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sqiaw Beach
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:27 PM »
My wife and I will be out there Sat. Look for a couple of red Eskimo pop up shanties. We caught 4 lakers and 2 burbot last Saturday.

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:45 PM »
How deep were you guys jigging? If you don't mind me asking.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:05 PM »
I am not exactly sure. We fish with rods and fireline or spiderwire and I didn't measure the depth. I didn't take my depthfinder with me that trip. Whatever the depth was where we were we were fishing about 3" to 6" off bottom. I was about .3 miles out into the lake from the parking lot.

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:11 PM »
What pound test do you use, also any tips you can give me, I think I may try there Sunday and never fished for Lakers before! Thank you!

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips flag up!

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:43 PM »
What pound test do you use, also any tips you can give me, I think I may try there Sunday and never fished for Lakers before! Thank you!
We use 14# to 20# line on most of our reels. Put the tail end of a smelt or a chunk of cut sucker on the back of a 1/2 oz. to 3/4 oz. jig. Make sure that the point of the hook in buried in the bait. Drop it down to the bottom and jig it, making sure that you are still within a few inches of bottom by letting it bounce off the bottom once in a while. If you don't do that you may have the current take the line off to the side and you will not be close to the bottom. Watch for subtle bites. The bait may get a little heavier or you may lower it back down but never feel the weight of the jig come back on the line because a fish grabbed it as it was falling. Other times they will hammer it. You never know.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:19 AM »
watch the weather for sat night and sunday
calling for high winds out of the west at 30-40 mph

careful out there

SnoHam13

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Who was out there on K bay today? My wife and I and 2 other friends got out there late morning and got skunked. I did hear of a few people getting fish but didn't personally see any.
Oh well! Some days you get fish and some days you pay your dues. I should be fully paid up now. LOL

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:17 AM »
Who was out there on K bay today? My wife and I and 2 other friends got out there late morning and got skunked. I did hear of a few people getting fish but didn't personally see any.
Oh well! Some days you get fish and some days you pay your dues. I should be fully paid up now. LOL

Was out from 10-2 out from tire shop in 140'. I got 4, my buddy got 5. Most fish came around 10-12. Big white pimples with cut bait

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:52 AM »
was out yesterday from 7:30 til 3 and managed 3 bites. very slow around the area where I was fishing 150 fow.

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Was out yesterday in 87 fow off the marina, makes fish but could get them to hit. It was my first time fishing for lakers so not sure if they just weren't biting or if it was me!

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:59 PM »
I missed one fish in 150 ft. Pretty slow.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Ice appear to be holding level with the asinnins sign?

Offline merwin69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:43 PM »
ok got the week off on the books will be coming the week of the feb 17 hoping to cath some white fish any input would be great
I tried 2 years ogo but only cought 1 Thanks for the help Merwin

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Chase, this is what it looked like this afternoon before the weather went downhill.  Fished by the lighthouse for the morning looking for coho or anything else that would bite but no luck.  A couple of lookers on the fish finder and a school of smelt but nothing to take home.
There was ice up to the red cliff North of Carla's across to Pequaming that looks to have a good start if the wind doesn't smash it up.  A round the Mission there is a half mile of cracked junk.  The old ice sheet just S of the mission seemed to be OK.  Skim ice as far as I could see on the way to Houghton.  We'll be in fish city in a week or so.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Great! Thanks for the report Paul! Getting out Friday!

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2014, 04:20 PM »
fished north of Squaw beach this morning in 172 fow got 2 lakers one 23" and one  18". missed a bunch of fish. biggest fish appeared to have some mono filament hanging from it, when I got home to clean it discovered that the fishes  head  was stuck in a mono filament  gill net. the line had cut into the top of head and under bottom jaw. Fish had 2 small smelt in it's stomach. wonder how any more fish are swimming around out there like that.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Satellite images today show ice all the way passed rabbit island...took a ride earlier and it looks solid! No reports of anyone on the reefs yet.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=s&page=1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.