Author Topic: Wabamun  (Read 5309 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Wabamun
« on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Slow day on the ice, few flags, few small fish.  Caught a ton of perch. Weather was nice, which made up for it.

For the love of all things sane though... DO NOT DRIVE ON THE ICE!!! I saw at least a half a dozen pickups on the ice and where i was fishing i was drilling through a max of 6" of clear ice.  There were areas where floodwater was up to 8" deep under the snow, with a half inch of crappy ice covering it.  Dont want to see anyone loose a life or vehicle over the holidays.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wabamun
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Good report swampy45, hope they listen and just walk on. See people every year with kids strapped into car seats and cringe.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:12 AM »
Good report swampy45, hope they listen and just walk on. See people every year with kids strapped into car seats and cringe.
I just posted in the ice report, but i was out there yesterday and found at least a dozen fist sized holes in the ice around my buddy's tent with at least 8" of flood water on top of six inches of ice or so.  I had never seen holes so perfectly round or shaped as they were though.  It wasnt from springs or gas venting from the lake, and it was way too far off shore for muskrats, so im curious what was causing them.

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Any ideas what was causing those holes swampy?  Any idea how ice is now at Wabamun?  Specifically Seba Beach?

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I cant say for Seba, im hoping to head out that way this week though.  I know the area where i found the holes in the ice quite well, and I cant say what was causing them for sure.  I have never seen them like that before. Im stumped.  Been trying to do some research, but cant come up with anything.  I can only think maybe there was an oil like substance or tar from the spill in 2005 floating on the surface where i found these holes, and when the snow pushed down on the ice it merely moved the oily substance elsewhere, leaving submerged fist sized holes in the ice... seems legit, right?!  :cookoo:

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:56 PM »
It's the new alien crop circles!!

Sure sounds Wierd. To the wonderful world of YouTube I go.

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline bigpikehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:08 AM »
hey guys new to the ice shanty forum. I fish seba beach side I have been their twice rr55 is where I fish. the ice is pretty scary this year only about 4-6 inch of solid ice and about 6 inch of crapty ice. we had the quad on the ice but lots of top water so had to rip on her abit. don't drive on!! Not worth it if u want to drive on a lake go to gull I hear their is a lot of good ice their. heading their tomorrow I think might try wab. Hey swampy can u tell me where I should not fish on this lake?? don't know where the current runs really and are their springs in this lake thanks for the info

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:07 PM »
hey guys new to the ice shanty forum. I fish seba beach side I have been their twice rr55 is where I fish. the ice is pretty scary this year only about 4-6 inch of solid ice and about 6 inch of ****ty ice. we had the quad on the ice but lots of top water so had to rip on her abit. don't drive on!! Not worth it if u want to drive on a lake go to gull I hear their is a lot of good ice their. heading their tomorrow I think might try wab. Hey swampy can u tell me where I should not fish on this lake?? don't know where the current runs really and are their springs in this lake thanks for the info
not sure on the lake where not to fish. I've had luck all over the lake but want to try some new areas! watch out for some of the small creeks that flow into the lake is all i can say!

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Ill be out on Wabamun tomorrow, not sure where Im going to fish yet.  Look for the giant red Eskimo tent, feel free to come say hi.

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Any luck swampy?  Where did you end up going?  How was the ice? 

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:24 PM »
went to Fallis.  Had up to 18 lines in the water between the ten of us… Caught three fish all day, all around 8 lbs.  Fishing was stupid slow.  Ice was about 12" consistently where i drilled holes, but only 4-5" of clear ice, the rest was frozen slush.  And yes, there is still a ton of flood water.  Had to help bail some guy out with his quad that was stuck right to his bumper.  Lots of snow on the ice in spots too.  I think my next fishing adventure will be else where.  Wab is not treating me well this year.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Slow slow slow on wab....all I'm hearing. Even at my "gonna beat my 27lb spot". Lol.

Good fishin!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Thanks for the update, I have found my best luck is Feb and March for those monsters

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:30 PM »
slowest season i have ever had on Wab... dunno whats going on.  This weekend im trying the lake that i have a hunch on.

Offline bigpikehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Heading out to a shot I love RR 55 come out and say hi will be out with a group we will be set up by my buddys shack that is out their now. stop by say hi have a hoot lol. I want to get a 20+ this year I have got a 15 pounder close but not 20 lol

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Anymore luck out there this weekend?

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:42 AM »
fished my usual spots, stayed away from the crowds at RR55.  Way too many people there for my liking.  Fishing was slow all weekend.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:29 AM »
Slow in my usually spot.

And as usual didn't pick up until after 2pm.

Caught one 9 and one 10lb. Missed some strikes and some real nice hits on a glow in the dark before we packed up.

It was total slush if a guy broke through the snow. Up to mid shin. I almost had water over the boots many times.

14-16" ice, but that first bit is junk then the bottom layer is sepearted by this slush between it and the top layer of ice.

Good fishin.

Offline lromanchuk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Pretty steady pike fishin today. Caught some descent ones, biggest being 11.5 pounds.

Lake was perfect skidooing conditions. Ripped around with no troubles, no floodwater.

Back out there Sunday.

Offline DiscoTime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Sounds like snowshoe or snowmobile accessibility. I have neither, just big rubber boots.

Maybe I'll head out there tomorrow just to get out somewhere. See if the horseshoe is still up my keister from last year.

Where on the lake are people fishing? I've only been to one spot, SW corner.

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Anybody go out this weekend?  How was it?

Offline snow shovel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:30 AM »
Spent last 2 days on wab at pike spot. 16-17" of ice. 11" of black ice rest white ice. Day 1 pretty productive in 22fow. Biggest landed 12lbs. Day 2 yesterday much slower & way less aggressive bite. Slow moving lethargic looking fish. A few landed biggest 8-9lbs. Thank god for the heater

Offline snow shovel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:11 AM »
Yesterday's biggest

Offline Speye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Nice!!!!  I might be heading out there later on today.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Sweet!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline bigpikehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:10 AM »
heading out to the big pike spot tomorrow and Monday mybe even tues cuz I took the extra two days off. hoping to get something over 25 or close to 20 biggest this year was only a little 15 pounder.

Offline lromanchuk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I'll be out there Monday with the wife. Probably Fallis or 55. I'll  be on an orange Arctic Cat skidoo.

Offline clayton

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I caught a Walter at Fallis today. Was I ever shocked to see that come out of my hole.  ;D ;D ;D
Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish

Offline lromanchuk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Fallis and 55 were a parking lot today. Family day, to be expected i guess.

I went a little further west of 55 and found a quiet corner, fishing was the craps. Just little pike. 2-5 pounds.

Fishing was brutal, but the weather was awesome. Was nice to see tons of kids out too.

Offline lromanchuk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Horribly slow fishing today at fallis. Anyone have better luck elsewhere on the lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.