Author Topic: Lake Storey - Galesburg  (Read 3012 times)

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Storey - Galesburg
« on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Anyone around the Galesburg area know if Storey has fishable ice?

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Storey - Galesburg
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I got a text from a friend that works at Carl Sandburg College, and he said there is a shanty out there today fishing.  Sounds like the ice has survived the snow storm. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Check back in two hours and see if he is still on top of the ice  :o

I heard 4" of crap ice from a guy yesterday.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2013, 12:12 PM »
LMAO!!!! ;D

Check back in two hours and see if he is still on top of the ice  :o

I heard 4" of crap ice from a guy yesterday.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:16 PM »
thanks for the reports! it's rare to get an update on lake storey. I live in peoria now, but grew up in yates city. Never fished the lake, but went to school at CSC, and always heard the lake was good for crappies, esp. when there was hard water. Is it pretty easy to get a hut on the lake if you're walking? Do you park by the "main building" (?) by the swimming area? Is there a lot of fishing pressure?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline catfishcalvin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:18 PM »
We fished around the Macomb area Saturday and most ponds had 4-5 inches of solid ice then bad ice on top.  The 18 acre Lake we went to had over 6 inches of good ice. Those warm temps didn't seem to effect the ice thickness.  Must have been the snow on top.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:22 PM »
get on storey on far west end by sledders.  Not sure why no one fishes other areas though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:38 PM »
thanks blu!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Been down there a few times but never really caught anything over 8". I have heard that around 12-3am is the time for walleyes for one guy but never saw any pictures. If anyone goes please give an ice report. I'm looking for some ice to get on.
Thanks
Matt

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Want to meet up at the canal?  pm me
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline fishthoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:26 PM »
I plan to be in G-burg tomorrow and the next few days.  Will venture out to Lake Storey.  I'll be in a black Frabill suit.  Hope to see some people out there.  Any info on ice thickness would be great.  Thanks.

Offline rtgal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2013, 05:04 AM »
Will keep my ear out about ice on lake storey fishthoughts i have a buddy in gburg gonna call him ask if hes been out look forward to hearing back on your findings if you get out as well let us know if you do be safe :icefish:

Offline fishthoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Got out at 2pm.  Saw a guy walk on ice just before me, so I decided to go on.  Only had time for two holes.  Both were 6 inches.  Temps at 8 degrees with little wind.  Metered a few fish, but no takers.  Will be out tomorrow.  Good luck everyone. 

Offline fishthoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Went out this morning at 7:40 at the west side.  Fished 26ft.  Ice was at 6" in one spot and 4" in another.  Kept seeing fish on electronics and got light bites.  But I did not get one.  Had to call it quits at 9 am.  Middle of lake is still open due to geese. 

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Thanks for the reports.  In my past experiences down there, it's not worth fishing there until the evening time.

Offline ifishice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Was at Storey yesterday, slow bite. Only 2 keepers, I gill and 1 crappie. Ice was 7 inches on the west side by the cement gate control.

Offline ifishice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Was out this am near Geneseo on private lake. Slow bite with 2 keeper gills from 15 ft water. Fishing neighbor was fishing 25 ft water and caught 10-12 with about half of them nice keepers (8-10").  Will move to deeper water this week with cover.

Offline woody91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Lake Storey is great to fish at night for crappie and eyes, the dam gets plenty of pressure
 there is an area east of there where there is a downed bridge just east of the dam with 25 foot of water which is a GREAT spot at night also

Offline tacihla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Was out yesterday from 3 - 7pm.  Caught a lot of small bluegills and small crappies.  Bite slowed after dark which is normal, but we didn't see any of the larger crappies which tend to come out at night. 

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:03 PM »
HND & I are going to Storey this evening to try it out.  Will post our results tomorrow.  Anyone else going to be out there tonight?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:08 PM »
What time r u heading out? I have been wanting to go try it out.
Matt

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Hey Matt, I'm hoping we can get out there by 6PM.  I'm waiting for the wife to get off work, then I'll pick up HND and we'll head down there.  We'll be in a Black Frabil near the cement pillar with the heat cranked! 

If you want to stop by and say hello to your old rod and do some fishing, shoot me a PM.  I'll get the PM on my phone and can reply.

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Waiting to hear back from 74redone, we may also be joining you. Would those near the QC and Galesburg like to have an IceShanty meet up one weekend on Lake Storey?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Just found out my son is going to stay with me instead of going to his moms so I'm out but good luck guys! I will be going down their soon.
Matt

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Pretty typical trip to Storey.  Marked fish all night long, caught a bunch of dink Crappie, and ended up with a dozen keepers.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Should probably add a few things.  The ice was 11", and very solid.  We fished in 25' of water, most of the bigger Crappie were caught about 4' off the bottom.  Deadsticking seemed to be the best, too much jigging just got lookers.  I was using a spoon tipped with a minnow head, and HND was using a Horizontal jig tipped with Spikes.

Offline njohnson2004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:02 PM »
How's fishing been on storey this year? Havant made it out there was thing of trying it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.