The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Side Scanner/Fishing Buddy  (Read 692 times)

Offline SALTY BAY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Side Scanner/Fishing Buddy
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Just wondering about using this fish finder for ice fishing? Now I know about all the others like Marcum, Vex, Bottom Line etc.... However, I was just wondering about the side scanner feature under the ice? It works great in the summer(150ft or so to the side), I don't really see why it wouldn't help locating fish without having to drill, drill, drill, as Tony Beets would say!I never used it in winter before as I just got it last summer and I was wondering if anyone else had used a side scanner ice fishing?

Offline NUMBTHUMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Side Scanner/Fishing Buddy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:30 AM »
If your talking about hummingbird or lowrance it works great. But u cant just lay it in the hole. You want to set it up so it only looks on one side then you need to turn it slowly untill u find the right speed to get a clear picture.
I only bing it if im on a new body of water and im tring to find the top of a hump, weeds, rocks, a good edge. If you are going some where you always fish and know where to go its kind of pointless. If you just leave it in the hole you cant make out much of an image but you can see a change when a fish moves in.
QUIT WISHIN GO FISHIN!!- (BUBBA BASSIN)

Offline SALTY BAY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I should have mentioned it's the Hummingbird Fishing Buddy 120, BLK/WH screen. I use it on my small boat, in small ponds in the summer and it works great marking fish on the side with a range of about 120ft or so. I see no reason why that wouldn't be the same in winter but I just didn't know if anyone had been using one on the ice and had more experience that way. I figure, less drilling, more fishing. Different threads on the internet had varying reviews, maybe someone might respond with a few tips to this one.

Offline NUMBTHUMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Yea i use my hds5 lowrance set up as a portable so i guess you can disregard my statement
QUIT WISHIN GO FISHIN!!- (BUBBA BASSIN)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.