Author Topic: trot line under the ice?  (Read 5762 times)

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
trot line under the ice?
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:38 PM »
is there anything in the regulations about trot lines under the ice? what a way to score some fillets! wonder how this could be done? hum anyone have any suggestions on how you could do it? 
got grease?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Re: trot line under the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Don't know if I t would be legal, but if it were you would need some thing to plain the line away from the hole.   

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Remote control submarine from one hole to the next carrying your line. 

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:25 PM »
If there is a way it would be sooo kewl. Lots of people would be baiting 25-50 hooks. Have to have a careful eye on the limits. Would be a killer walleye getter. LOL

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Regulations Guide, Page 14

"Ice Fishing. When ice fishing, no more than three lines may be used at any one time. Each line may contain no more than two hooks or two artificial baits"

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:06 PM »
is there anything in the regulations about trot lines under the ice? what a way to score some fillets! wonder how this could be done? hum anyone have any suggestions on how you could do it?

Setting a trot line, long line, etc. would be really simple actually... but illegal in most if not all areas unless you're a commercial outfit and even then...

Anyways you would use the same contraption they use for setting a net under the ice, which is called a jigger.  You can google it and there should be videos.  Here's a wiki on it --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_jigger

Offline black55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I thought that the regs have changed to 3 hooks per line , am i wrong ?
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

Offline Awk5658

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:04 PM »

1.  Trot lines seem wasteful in my opinion.  I snag them on my lures and end up cutting them off and throwing them in my boat to pitch in the trash, people rarely seem leave their name and address on them.

2.  People would set them and then the ice would be unsafe and they would leave them and they would end up in the lake. 

3.  I cut like 20 of them down on the Iroquios River a few years ago.  Someone set them all over the place and left them. 

4.  Loose string is not good for wild life.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:24 PM »
i agree with the bishop, what a walleye getter! lol but also pike, catfish and bass. would be interesting to see how it worked. you could put a large fish on the end hook and use him to stretch out the line. then yank him off when it got to the end. you would need a blow up hole saver too, so you didnt have to chop out the line.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:34 PM »
I had been thinking this myself but was afraid to post it.  Setting the line I don't think would be too difficult if two or more people were going to do this. Drill a hole then drill another hole some distance away. Use a long pole to pull a guideline from one hole to the next. Continue until you are at the end of your main line. As you attach bait, pull the set line and continue.

Of course you would have to follow any regulations from your state. In Indiana you would have to check the line every 24 hours. Now, if you are only allowed so many poles while ice fishing then that's another story.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I thought that the regs have changed to 3 hooks per line , am i wrong ?

http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/fishing/fishing-information/

In the link above it says.

Hooks for Hand or Pole Fishing
You may not fish with more than three poles or hand lines at any one time. Each line may have no more than two single or multi-barbed hooks, two artificial baits or two harnesses for live bait
Ice Fishing
When ice fishing, no more than three lines may be used at any one time. Each line may contain no more than two hooks (single, double or treble) or two artificial baits. Holes cut for ice fishing cannot be more than 12 inches in diameter. Tip-ups must be identified with the name and address of the user, and must be in constant visual contact of the person using them.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Here is another one for the IDNR t answer: Can you use "Set Lines" during the winter while ice is on a lake?

I do believe there is precedent: During the softwater season, you can use three poles, a trot line and a number of limb lines all at the same time. During the ice season, you can use three poles and . . . ? ? ?

Interesting topic for sure.

Also, I do run a trot line at times here in Indiana during the softwater season. One way to catch catfish but mainly for turtles. I do run them as the law states and I do not leave them in the water when not in use. (I really  cannot afford to do that!) I now use Kahle Hooks and have found that these tend to hook in the jaw better and allows for release of fish not intended to be kept.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:44 PM »
WARNING: If its illegal to run a trot line thru the ice, don't blame me when getting arrested. If its legal remember it has to be taged with name and full address.

Here's my input on Ice trot line fishing. I would never try it but this may work. it would be a 2 man setup wouldn't hurt to have a 3rd.

If you can understand my drawing here's how it may work. First u would need something light, maybe PCV pipe, about 10ft long with a 90° angle and maybe 2-3ft handle after the 90° bend. It should float so it wouldn't sink after its down the hole making it easier to snag the line w/hook. If the ice was thick it may be hard to get the elbow down the hole so the hole may need to be 10-12". Put a non abrasive hook on the end.

Then after you have the long end down the hole you try to snag the line in the 1st hole(1st man holding line). When snaged 2nd man pulls the L shaped piece out the 2nd hole. 3rd man Grabs the line comeing out of 2nd hole then go to the 3rd hole and repet. After you get as many holes as you want go back to the holes and tie on the line w/baited hook. Then set back and take a break.

Seems allot of trouble to me but may work.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Here is another one for the IDNR t answer: Can you use "Set Lines" during the winter while ice is on a lake?

I do believe there is precedent: During the softwater season, you can use three poles, a trot line and a number of limb lines all at the same time. During the ice season, you can use three poles and . . . ? ? ?

Interesting topic for sure.

Also, I do run a trot line at times here in Indiana during the softwater season. One way to catch catfish but mainly for turtles. I do run them as the law states and I do not leave them in the water when not in use. (I really  cannot afford to do that!) I now use Kahle Hooks and have found that these tend to hook in the jaw better and allows for release of fish not intended to be kept.

Modified circle hooks are actually even better than Kahle hooks. Both for hooking percentage and for hooking in the corner of the mouth... been scientific studies on it and everything, both trotlines and juglines

Back to the topic at hand, I do not believe you could use a trotline under ice as it explicitly states in the Ice Fishing subsection that you may not have more than 2 (or perhaps 3 with the new clarifications) hooks per line.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Back to the topic at hand, I do not believe you could use a trotline under ice as it explicitly states in the Ice Fishing subsection that you may not have more than 2 (or perhaps 3 with the new clarifications) hooks per line.

It also says the same thing in fishing regs for hand or pole fishing(wet water fishing). So for running a trot line under the ice I would be inclined to say that would fall in the Trot line regulations. In the winter when there is no ice on rivers, what regs apply? It will be an interesting question to ask the DNR.

http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/fishing/fishing-information/
Hooks for Hand or Pole Fishing
You may not fish with more than three poles or hand lines at any one time. Each line may have no more than two single or multi-barbed hooks, two artificial baits or two harnesses for live bait.

Trot lines no matter if ice or no ice I would think go by Trot line regs. Below is mentioned in the link above

Trot Lines
A trot line (also called a set line or throw line) is a fishing line with smaller lines attached to it extending out into the water from a fixed point, such as a boat dock or tree. You may fish with no more than one trot line at any one time. The trot line must have no more than 50 single- or multi-barbed hooks. Each drop line on a trot line may have only one hook. Trot lines must bear a readable tag clearly showing the name and address of the user, and be checked at least once every 24 hours. It is illegal to use a trot line in Lake Michigan or within 300 yards of any partial or full dam structure on any stream, river, ditch, canal or reservoir.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:28 PM »
50, minnow baited hooks in 40 f.o.w. laying on the bottom on a perch flat could produce a bucket of green gold...just sayin'
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:04 PM »
My take is that regardless of method if you're fishing thru ice, you're ice fishing. So that section on ice fishing would trump the ability to use a trotline

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:11 PM »
in minnesotta the indiana set nets out for tulibee through the ice. they drill a hole on an angle to start setting the net, they use long push poles that attach to each other to keep pushing the net until its desired location/position. then drill a hole on the other end at an angle to set the other side. they 'molly-whop' all other species of fish while doing this. have seen piles and piles of walleye, pike, musky, perch just thrown to the side.wardens have been called, photos taken and the whole nine yards. nothing can be done cause the indians are on their own reservation grounds. but that is how they set the nets to begin with for tulibee.
Got one goin'!

Offline thorn168

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Trot lines tend to deplete fish stocks rather quickly and they are dangerous to the fisherman. Experienced trot line fisherman always carry a razor sharp knife while hauling in the lines because if they end up with a big fish on the line or multiple heavy fish, there is always a chance that the fish can pull the fisherman into the water and drown him. Don't assume that fish on a trot line are tired out or dead; they may be just loitering in the water with a hook in their mouth. So when you haul in the line, there is a chance that they are strong and well rested, you could be in real trouble because when they start taking line from you, you can get hooked and/or entangled and dragged into the water.

Saw a reenactment of this sort of accident on river monsters (Congo). Jeremy Wade was holding up a 20 lb catfish and explaining how a fish of that size could easily drown a person hooked and entangled on a trotline.

Now I can see where guys can argue with me saying: "Well I would wear a float suit and I would only target small fish...."

If the danger of this fishing method doesn't deter you then the technical issues should...

Just setting and hauling the lines can be problematic. Lines freeze and get tangled. Ice conditions can change suddenly. The line fails because it get cut up on the sharp ice.

I just don't recommend trot lines as a means of "sport fishing".

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Oh man could you imagine cutting a hole someone's line below gets caught in the blades wraps up hooks sticking all over the place. I wouldn't be a happy camper for sure!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:42 PM »
My take is that regardless of method if you're fishing thru ice, you're ice fishing. So that section on ice fishing would trump the ability to use a trotline

You could be right, then again you may not be, none of us know for sure. I tried calling the DNR today got a recording so I emailed them. As soon as the DNR replies I'll post it.

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:31 PM »
you guys are rite. i didnt even think about walleyes! maybe ill set some out at brady's on sylvan. that would be great to pull up a few doz. walleye in the morning! keep my limit and give the rest away. circle hooks and chubs would have to get something.

be interesting to see what the dnr reply will be.  can you post what you asked and how you asked it please. shoot even three lines with three hooks would be a good spread, and legal to boot. 

was thinking about the deployment last night. do you think a big magnet would work to pull the end of the line out under the ice. then pull the magnet up away to drop the end of the line where you want it. is the under side of the ice smooth or jagged?
got grease?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:40 PM »
you guys are rite. i didnt even think about walleyes! maybe ill set some out at brady's on sylvan. that would be great to pull up a few doz. walleye in the morning! keep my limit and give the rest away. circle hooks and chubs would have to get something.

Keeping your limit and then giving the others away is illegal.  Once you have your limit you are to catch and release only or fish for another species.  Any fish you give away count against your limit.

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:47 PM »
really? i give fish away all the time. i see others do it too. i would think if another angler has a licence and i give him some fish they would be in his bag limit.
got grease?

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Yep wax, that is exactly what I was thinking when I read.  If its legal to set out a trot line, then say you set 10 dropped lines. If the first 6 have keeper eyes, any more you have hooked you would have to throw back or cull. Not sure I have never run a trot line, but can the line have 2 or more peoples name on it? That way if you caught 10 legal eyes you each would have 5 eyes. But both would have to be there when it was ran.

Fishhogger, remember its 2 hooks per line not 3.

As for trot lines I think you are only aloud 1 hook per dropped line.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:57 PM »
really? i give fish away all the time. i see others do it too. i would think if another angler has a licence and i give him some fish they would be in his bag limit.

I don't know the Reg's on giving fish away after you limit out. But just because you see others do it doesn't mean its legal. If it is illegal and the DNR catches you, its probably a fine.

Did some research and couldn't find anything for Indiana. But found this from Maryland, so more than likely Ind. is the same. If you catch a limit and give it away, you are done fishing for that day. You can only catch one limit of species per day.

http://72.30.186.176/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=INdiana+DNR+giving+fish+away+counts+in+your+limit&pvid=cm.rekgeurCcZy56UrSI4wE6uBFMIVK1BM0AC2tz&fr=sfp&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=INdiana+DNR+giving+fish+away+counts+in+your+limit&d=4836370615894144&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=K82_KeXrjUCXU4R9XJLqKmt3Ky0bB-_k&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=fVMr16C0lrV2LEhCDj9pKg--

read link or the following

Good fishing at the Conowingo dam, this smallmouth was no wimp and indeed very tasty. Now my question is this fish was given to me by another angler. I was under the impression that it’s ok to give away your limit just nothing more. I have given rockfish away sometimes when I’m not in the mood to clean and eat them. Is this wrong or perfectly legal so I know for next time.

DNR response: Josh, thank you for writing, the person fishing can keep only their creel – they can give their creel away, they can keep their creel for themselves but they cannot take more fish out of the water than their daily creel limit. Additionally, as stated, the fish counts against the creel of the person who caught it, not you, so you can catch your limit and accept fish from other people. However, in actual practice, if NRP comes up on a person and the person has more fish than their own creel limit, the officer will write a ticket and the individual would have to prove in court they were given the fish. I’d recommend that people don’t have in their possession more than the daily creel limit. There are also different possession limits in addition to creel limits for a few species, for example sunfish.

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:02 PM »
thought i read where they changed it to three hooks per line this year.
got grease?

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
got grease?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I was doing a creel survey on Sylvan Lake back in 1977 and a guy came motoring up to me in his boat with a paper bag in his hand ready to kick my ***.  Turns out the bag had a rusty ol/ trot line it and he had stepped in while putting on skis.  For some reason he thought the INDNR used them. 

Strange night. This is the second time my job of the summer 1977 has come up on this site... ???
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:15 PM »

You can give perch, gills or any other fish that are not bound by limits away with no issue.  However if the DNR sees you catch your limit of eyes or crappies and then catch another and give it away instead of releasing it, they will fine you.  They will also nail you if they see you leave with your limit and then return that same day and keep more.  Doesn't matter if you cleaned or gave the first limit away.  Same thing as when you are fishing side by side with a buddy for crappie, you better not be both throwing them in the same pile and have over 25 in the pile or someone had a good chance of getting a fine.  Fish with limits on them need to be kept separate when fishing in a group.  Example...if there are 3 people fishing and you have one pile of crappies that are less than 75, but angler one has put 35 in the pile, angler 2 has put 25 in and angler 3 has put in 10, then angler one could be ticketed for being 10 over his limit.  I have seen this happen and seen a ticket given.  Also know others that have been warned by the CO that they need to keep their catch separte when fishing in a group for fish that have a limit on them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.