Author Topic: Waterproofing Carhartts?  (Read 11929 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Waterproofing Carhartts?
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Does anyone know if there is anything I can get to waterproof my Carhartts?  Sometimes when I'm runnin and gunnin for perch I'll punch a line of holes prior to fishing, in an area that I'm familiar with and know that the perch move through.  When a school comes through I'll move to the next hole with nothing but my rod and Vex, and just kneel down at the hole, resulting in wet kneesand shins.  Also, I'll be fishing tipups a lot for pike and walleyes this year, so there will be some kneeling. Thanks!

-Zach

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
Re: Waterproofing Carhartts?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:53 PM »
good question....I'll be keeping my eyes on this one!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Bag the Carhartt's for icefishing and just get some goretex bibs or pants or see if Santa can bring you some.  Carhartt's are great but just not designed for water. 

This is the thought I've had all along...probably would be the best thing to do...  ::)

-Zach

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:45 PM »
I love my carhartts, but wet knees are a big problem.  I've tried the camp dry and other silicone sprays with limited success.  I was going to get a new pair of the artic ones.  They came waterproofed, but it doubbles the price.  My old ones are almost ready for the dump anyhow so I may try some other things on them before I give up on em.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2005, 05:48 PM »
I've tried the silicone sprays as well, and they just never quite seem to do the job.  Maybe if you put a few coats of it on and really let it soak in.  Another alternative would be to get the ice chaps from some place like Cabelas.  I think they are under $20.  Of course if Santa is nice to you, that won't even be an issue.  ;)
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:17 PM »
A couple things to try is a canvas tent water repellent.I think its called canvak. The other is If you know about those oilskin Drover coats which are sold in Cabelas they sell a water repellent for them which you rub on. The old way to waterproof Cotton was Beeswax. Rub it on and let it get warm to sink it into the fabric.
Cold feet

Offline water walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:37 AM »
I haven't thought of it till now, but I've used Sno-Seal on my boots and it works fairly well for a will. :-\  It would probably work on carhartts as well, just heat it up and let the stuff soak in.  If I try it, I'll let ya know how it works.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity has no end

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Filson uses paraffin to treat their tin chaps.  You might try that.
Cheese Head

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:08 PM »
You can try a pair of ice chaps.  They worked fine for me until I got Gore-Tex bibs.
I know they have them at Cabelas.  For some reason I can't get to the site to give you a link right now.  Just go to Cabelas and search for ice chaps.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 04:38 PM »
I use the arctic carharts and never have wet or cold knees.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:54 AM »
You can try a pair of ice chaps. 
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0010853114495a&navCount=1&podId=0010853&parentId=cat601250&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&catalogCode=UF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601250&hasJS=true
I got a pair for last season and I love'em, it keeps the whole front of your leg from getting wet, when your running and gunning holes with the gas auger.  ;D

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:56 AM »
I bought the ice chaps last winter and didnt get to use them  :P

I went out this morning with them on in my joe boxers lol

they work really well and i couldnt feel the jagged frozen ice/snow

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Zach- I got a pair of cheap ass rain pants on ebay size 3xl or somethin rediculous like that and they go on over my woolies just fine and i stay dry while kneeling at my tipups and for jiggin.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:32 AM »
That's actually a really good idea, Hood.  I think I might do that...I also have Columbia Outfitters Wool that I will probably be wearing on the ice, so that would be a good idea.  I'll definitely try it!!

-Zach

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:33 PM »
i wear big bill insulated waterproof pants. they are canadian made originally for loggers. they cost 50 bucks and are worth every penny. i bought mine at millers. put a couple pairs of long johns in em' and youll be all set.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:50 AM »
That's actually a really good idea, Hood.  I think I might do that...I also have Columbia Outfitters Wool that I will probably be wearing on the ice, so that would be a good idea.  I'll definitely try it!!

-Zach
I can't get enough of that Columbia wool, Zach.  I wore it on a little ice recon mission this morning before work.  It was a pleasure to have it on my back again.  You'll love it.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:36 PM »
Take a bar of parafin and rub it into the material, then take a warm NOT HOT iron and go over them. do this a couple times and they will be very water RESISTANT, not water proof. I treat my coats and coveralls this way and it works out good. You can also wear knee pads, that might help.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:11 PM »
You could also go another route and get a set of roofers kneepads.  The plastic shell keeps the insides dry and for guys with bad knees (like me) it saves a lot of aches and pains. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.