Author Topic: Air Gap in Lake Freeman  (Read 937 times)

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Air Gap in Lake Freeman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:31 AM »
I have no squirrel in this fight...I would like to see some more evidence than just someone saying it might be dangerous?
Paul

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:33 AM »
That is ridiculous.  Freeman is the same level they haven't drawn it down at all.  Neither Freeman or Shafer has much good ice at all right now seeing how the main lake locked up last Wednesday and then we got 7 inches of snow.  The SFLECC is just putting that article out to try to keep stupid people off.  Most anyone with any sense at all would not be silly enough to go out on it anyway.  Get a little snow on the lake and every idiot with a snowmobile thinks it is fair game.  Lived in the area along time and I guarantee you except for extreme floods the lakes don't raise or drop more that a skoash.
Adam

Offline fishinater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:44 AM »
I've heard some debate as to whether or not this is possible and to what extent.   The argument was that the ice was to heavy to support itself other than around the edges where it is frozen to something to support its weight for a short space.   I thought both sides of the argument sounded interesting- is the ice strong enough to suspend over the water or will it flex and eventually break  ??? It would be nice to literally see cold hard evidence of this mystery either way

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:10 AM »
All I know is how scary would it be to fall through ice anywhere and realize you had nothing to hold on to?

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I've heard some debate as to whether or not this is possible and to what extent.   The argument was that the ice was to heavy to support itself other than around the edges where it is frozen to something to support its weight for a short space.   I thought both sides of the argument sounded interesting- is the ice strong enough to suspend over the water or will it flex and eventually break  ??? It would be nice to literally see cold hard evidence of this mystery either way

Add the weight of the snow and I don't think it could do it.  Seems like every year we have this same discussion lol.

Offline fishinater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Ya Matt with concrete evidence discussion is over.   ;)  Also 10 point -seems like someones recurring nightmare about past job experience.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.