The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shanty ideas  (Read 1484 times)

Offline JNotte

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty ideas
« on: Dec 15, 2013, 05:14 PM »
I was wondering if anybody has a preference for a shanty? I have been in a mild debate with a family member on a hard side shanty vs a portable. Any thoughts?

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Re: Shanty ideas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2013, 05:25 PM »
I love my portable.  I have a buddy heater that heats it up great and I'm not stuck in one spot.  Also cost.  I got mine for $160 at Killzone.  http://www.killzonehunting.com/fishing-gear/killzone-igloo-xl-ice-fishing-shelter.html

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:19 PM »
shappell 4000
expensive
amazing
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Farmer1776

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Soft is more portable and better for hopping around different waters

Offline Overreved

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:40 PM »
I bought the two man Otter Pro Thermal and I can tell you this is an awesome shanty. Bucket seats that are so comfortable, so warm with just a little Buddy heater on low, yesterday was 5 above on Lake Carmi and I was in a short sleave. No condensation at all.

Folds up very easy...3 minutes your packed up and moving.

Offline JNotte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:28 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. Just have to find the right one now.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I had one of the fold up and pull out ones but If you fish Champlain or a windy spot in general I wouldn't recommend it. It was awesome when I used it except for a windy day on Champlain. I was out in Shoreham on Champlain when the wind blew the wall in and the metal nub almost hit the back of my head! I was fortunate it didn't and the force of the wind doing that also broke one of the bars. I plan on getting one of the portable one man shanties but the fold up and pullout ones I'll never buy again.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Do you jig mostly or do you usually set out tip-ups?  I almost always set out tip ups, and once I set up, I rarely move much.  If you only jig I would go with a Genz setup Clam.

Offline JNotte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I usually like to setup tipups and fish in one spot for the day. That's a good consideration on the wind. I had never heard of one breaking like that. I would love to have a hard sided shanty but, they can be such a pain to get out and taking off the ice. After watching a truck go thru at Whites bay last year I have little desire to go down that route.

Offline 802keeper1122

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:57 AM »
I have a pop up eskimo that holds up to 3 people comfortably and I love using that

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:46 AM »
ive been using a portable clam two person flip over, for the past couple years. not much heavier than dragging my jet sled and only takes a few minutes to set up. get home from fishing I can pull it out of the back of the pickup and bring it inside when done.
fish on

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:52 AM »
       Josh,
 I have a Clam Command Post.It is 6 x 12 and is great.I prefer a non portable but when it comes time to get it off nobody is around.The only thing about the portable hub shanties is wind.Doesn't matter how much you anchor it.The hubs collapse at 20 mph winds.On Champlain where i fish most you usually can get where the wind isn't to bad so therefore i love my shanty.Anytime you are welcome to check mine out.Dave

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:45 AM »
I would def go with a portable with a mr heater if you are staying in one spot!

They make an attachment for a cordless drill to set anchors, really slick! Tie it down right and the hubs WILL NOT collapse...at least in the Shappell...Love it!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I would def go with a portable with a mr heater if you are staying in one spot!
Tie it down right and the hubs WILL NOT collapse...

+1

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:25 PM »
A friend of mine and I built a hard sided shanty a couple years back and fished out of it for 2-3 years.  It was fun but you are kinda stuck to that spot.  I'm probably going to be buying a portable this year at some point.

This was a neat idea and shanty build though I found on ice shanty in another state.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260682.0

Offline quesnelvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:24 PM »
I have hard side shanty, Shappell Ice House 6000 and an Eskimo Quick Flip 1.  All three have there advantages and disadvantages. The hard sided Shanties allow you to keep some of your less valuable equipment in the Shanty. And if conditions are favorable drier and warmer. Some years I have spent as much time blocking and digging out as Fishing, to try and prevent the shanty from freezing in. Also you will need some assistance setting and removing the shanty from the ice. The Shappell pop up shanty is easy to open and close but needs to be secured to the ice. This can take about 10 min., depending on conditions. Also wind can collapse the side walls if not anchored. The Flip shanty requires no set up time at all, as it just collapses onto its own sled, and all your equipment stays in the shanty. It really depends how mobile you want to be. As a rule I use the flip shanty the most followed by the Shappell. I haven't put the hard shanty out the past two years.
See you on the Water Johnny Q

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:25 PM »
I have an eskimo Fatfish that I am happy with. its big and I keep it hot inside, wind can be a problem with the hubs collapsing but as long as you anchor properly they wont collapse. portability is very nice,but I would like a home base shanty some day
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:29 PM »
I had a 15 yr frabill 2-3 man shelter that was good all around for tip up fishing.
It is easy to set up, heat, fishes 2 men very well and in a pinch can fit 3 but
Champlain wind bent the aluminum poles and doing more jigging now. i just
purchased a clam scout (1man) with expanded base. I like the portability and
should be good for running and gunning.  I await delivery. 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:39 PM »
I have both a pop up and a bulky hardside, this year I decided to find a happy medium and built a portable (wheeled) hardside. Built it on an 8x8 trailer, with doors to drive an atv in, and a fold up bed. it is light enough to take out early (7ish inches of ice), but warm and comfortable for overnights. We took it out this weekend on carmi on 7 inches of ice, pulled out with the atv (unstudded tires no chains) and it pulled out fine. It was warm with the buddy set to low and plenty of space to fish with two adults and 2 kids. I think the value in pop ups and pull overs is in that they are great on 4-6 inches of ice, but the period of the season where ice is that level is short, having solid walls is great the rest of the time. Best thing about a hardside is customization. We installed spotlights on the 4 outside walls with a light switch that is nxt to the bed, great at night all you have to do is flip the switch and u can see all your tip ups.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I have both hard sided & portable. I use the hard sided most. I built it on an old pop up camper frame so it is kinda portable. I can simply hook up with the wheeler & away I go.Has all the comforts of home & as I am getting older its really nice to have that. If I wanna fish somewhere else & don't feel like moving the hard sided one I'll grab the portable & head out. They both have there advantages & disadvantages, but as the old saying goes can't have your cake & eat it too. :tipup:
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline fishinnotcatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I have a pop up one that the wind ripped apart last year on champlain. I am making one out of pallets and spare wood i have lying around.
That's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'!

Offline JNotte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to go with a Cabela's 5600 pop-up shanty. Can't wait to get out there this year. Time to get all the hunting gear put away and start prepping the tip ups.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 PM »
That looks nice, but the one thing that I would be concerned about is that it weighs 75 lbs.  If you have a snowmobile or wheeler, no problem, but when you add your gear, bait, and heater it would be a lot to drag.  Especially in this crappy snow. 

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:09 AM »
 I also have one of these, they are awesome. More than enough room in this one; I actually had to take it this year to NH to wait for my bear transportation tags in March.  It fits a folding cot, folding table, and Mr. Buddy just fine.  It was very comfortable to camp in for 4 days.  More than big enough to fish in with the kids, too.
       Josh,
 I have a Clam Command Post.It is 6 x 12 and is great.I prefer a non portable but when it comes time to get it off nobody is around.The only thing about the portable hub shanties is wind.Doesn't matter how much you anchor it.The hubs collapse at 20 mph winds.On Champlain where i fish most you usually can get where the wind isn't to bad so therefore i love my shanty.Anytime you are welcome to check mine out.Dave
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:29 AM »
I have a Frabill trekker II, its two man folds down to the sled base, works great. holds all my gear and has kept me out longer and more comfortable. fished days last year i would have never fished all day before. Mr. heater definitely helps too
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:30 AM »
shappell 4000
expensive
amazing

I love mine because my son is willing to drag it!  I like the hard floor with ready made holes!   Its just heavy enough not to blow away with the first breeze!
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.