Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 13188 times)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:44 PM »
They go by Hudson Ave. Bait Shop and are at 519 Hudson Ave. in Alliance 69301 in case you want to navigate to it. It is 2 blocks north of Taco John's in Alliance.  Taco John's is on the east end of the east and west main drag in Alliance.  The number is 308-762-7464 as eepks mentioned.  They are nice people  ;) and we should to support the shops that stay open for the hardwater bite during the winter.  :)

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:55 PM »
How is the ice thickness and is it snow coverd?

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:43 PM »
With the nice days last week the snow pretty much melted and has refroze as hard slick ice for the most part. Need to use cleats for sure. Ice is anywhere from 8" to 15".

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:26 PM »
They go by Hudson Ave. Bait Shop and are at 519 Hudson Ave. in Alliance 69301 in case you want to navigate to it. It is 2 blocks north of Taco John's in Alliance.  Taco John's is on the east end of the east and west main drag in Alliance.  The number is 308-762-7464 as eepks mentioned.  They are nice people  ;) and we should to support the shops that stay open for the hardwater bite during the winter.  :)

I was there about a month ago, they have an honor system in place if they are not around. Appreciate them being there.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Did the lake fill back up from being so low this summer?  Sounds like the fishing is a lot slower this year.

You can check water levels for Box Butte, anytime, here, http://www.usbr.gov/gp-bin/arcweb_bbne.pl.

Water levels there are almost always below full pool.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Was up to the Butte yesterday caught a few perch and a nice pike. Not bad for getting there at 3:00 or so.

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:56 AM »

I would definitely call before you go.  Last trip to Box Butte was a last-minute decision so it was too late to get them in Scottsbluff.  When I got there to Alliance, they didn't have any minnows at all.  Apparently someone used their own bucket in the water and the resulting fish kill knocked off their whole supply.  They are great people; have stopped several times when they're up and have talked quite a bit with them. 

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Anyone know if they have any minnows now don't really wanna call at this time of night and maybe any stores that have some smelt was planing a trip to butte or smith this weekend but have not seen much on smith

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:26 PM »
there is a guy that has minnows only, in CRAWFORD. Just straight south across the street from the high school football field. Tan Building

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Went up this afternoon and fished for about 4 hours. Nothing on tip ups and 3 decent perch on minnows.

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Was up to BB yesterday, caught few perch, a couple smaller pike, a 24 1/2" walleye, and a couple smaller keepers eye's. When up there this morning left when wind came up about 12:00, had 9 perch and a couple smaller pike.
A friend went up there Thursday and had a good day, 37" pike and a 33" they put back, a couple 19" bass, a 5# cat, and a few perch and a couple walleyes that were too small to keep.

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:13 PM »
wonder how the ice is gonna hold out have fished once this year really slow not sure what to think only put two pike on the ice in over 5 hrs and 5 nice perch

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:11 PM »
how deep are you guys getting the eyes and where did you fish at on the lake of you dont mind

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I have fished here for years and that is two fish i have never had any luck catching
through the ice is cats and walleyes cant figure them out

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:49 PM »
have caught them all in the same immediate area. I'm not going to disclose where I fish, but anywhere you can find edges that go from 9 to 16' or so will usually produce something. Area south of boat dock and east close to dam has such areas. If you have a vex or the such you need to check those areas out. good luck.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:05 PM »
thx for the info and yeah i have a Vex fl18 and cant go fishing with out it
its not the same ;D

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2014, 05:38 PM »
any updates on the ice after all the wind wanted to head up this weekend

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:57 PM »
was up there today, ice was good right to the edge. No problem getting on around boat ramp tonite.
Was at hunters point this morning and it looked good also. Surprised me how good it is. Shouldn't have any problems. Towards the south side ice was from 12" to maybe 18".
Caught a few perch , some pike and a 13 - 14' walleye.

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Hey thanks for the update we will give it a shot

Offline gillhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:43 PM »
So how was the fishing and ice today? 

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I'm headed up there in the a m. Didn't make it today. There were some people up there today braving the high winds. Haven't heard how any one did.

Offline gillhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Don't blame you for not going today the wind was miserable, was going to take the kids locally this afternoon but decided to skip it.  Let us know how you did.  Thinking of heading up there next weekend.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:46 PM »
the ice (12-16"), including the shoreline, was very good.  We landed a half dz nice perch, and bunch of average sized Pike, a 10"
 Crappie, an 16 " eater Walleye, a FAT 35" Pike (that weighed 9.5#) and a 20" Largemouth.  Wind was rockin all day.  Nonetheless beautiful, great day on the ice.  Always pumped to get up to Box!  Tight Lines, Chris

Offline gillhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:28 PM »
it was a good day man biggest pike ive caught so far
 ;D

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 PM »
How long does the ice usually last at box butte? Still safe in middle of February or is that to late?

Offline NE-Iceman2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2014, 03:21 PM »
This is My first year fishing box butte on hard water but you should be good to go well past february....good luck!!!

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 19, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the reply. I've only fished it once and that was open water last year in may. I'd love to ice fish it and get my 4yo to ice his first pike

Offline NE-Iceman2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:01 PM »
No problem, you shouldnt have any trouble finding a pike there, iv only been out 6-7 times but got at least one pike everytime iv gone..nothing big yet biggest was 6lbs.. my buddy pulled up a 10 the other day before we got blew off the ice. Happy fishing!

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I appreciate it NE-iceman! Just looking for a place to take my bow and catch something different besides rainbows! My week off from work in februaryI think im going to head down their and have a campout in the truck and try for some northerns. is the hunters point everyone talk about west of the boat dock where a big tree is laying in the water? Thats where I fished when I was their throwing spinners and caught a dozen pike last aprl.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.