Author Topic: Island Ice  (Read 12627 times)

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Island Ice
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Yeah, he said the ice south of Rattlesnake was 14" and the water was clear.  Saturday evening, he said lots of water on the ice but sunday was much better.  Most of the snow is gone so it was easy driving the 4 wheeler.  Only 2 small eyes today.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 13, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Do u know if people are still crossing from the main land?

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:24 PM »
No crossing that I know of. I myself would not with the stiff sw wind pushing ice on a thaw period. Jmo

Actually, in this thaw it would probably be downright dangerous!

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I fished Fri & Sat 400 yds south of Rattlesnake with limited success.  After I left Sat, Skimmerhead & some friends caught 2 ten pounders, and quite a few 6 & 7 pounders, 2 catfish white bass & white pearch, and I caught my first ever sheep thru the ice.  13 inches of ice with the ramps in nice shape.

Offline growcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Was it the elusive sheep or the more common frashwater drum?   

Offline bigeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:47 AM »
  A couple of years ago thats where I caught a sheep too. And the only one I have ever caught on the ice, and I have a few years under my belt.  We will be there this weekend hopefully with the same succsess. :o

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Fork, you must have been near us. We were in the same area directly north of the airboat, alone by ourselves between to two packs. Thinking you were west of us

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:14 AM »
I believe we were the farthest to the west.  I didn't see anyone beyond us.  We steered a couple of guys from Wisconsin in to the ramp at 6pm friday night.  The pole light was still visable.

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I am cancelling this weekend at PIB, due to the forecasted brutal winds.  I am too old to fight that stuff anymore.  Next week!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I am cancelling this weekend at PIB, due to the forecasted brutal winds.  I am too old to fight that stuff anymore.  Next week!
today's wind was enough to sway my schedule too!  I'll get some stuff done and wait for it to calm down. bite was SLOW
anyhow.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Im with ya,no fishin this week..My new auger is comin and im sure ill need it next week...Ice around the islands will be THICK!!!

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Griffing just canceled my ride for this weekend to KI.  Anyone have a guide off of Catawba with a #.  All my stuff is there.

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Chances are you will not find a real guide to take you out in the weather they are calling for . Safety is first among them and with 40MPH winds, far from safe . There are a couple of cracks that opened up yesterday and made several guys run way west to get back inside them . Stay home this weekend and be safe .

Dale

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Can anyone give a island report.  Would like to head there this week while we can still cross.  Any help would be appreciated.  Pm me if u don't want it out there

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I fished all weekend, and caught pearch only.  I had a camera down and saw lots of eyes but no takers.  Saturday coming in and sunday going out and in were a slushy mess.  lots of water and tough going.  I got stuck once and was able to back up and go a differant route, but it sucked driving the quad.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:22 AM »
I fished sun-tues.very sl0www...Kept 2 and threw back to many to count 8-14in..Sun was a mess but everything was good mon and tues..No problem at all..The old dock was real good..I ran into a slush bed comin in mon.I had to use my wench but no big deal..Had lots of lookers but they just wouldn't go..Hopefully the snow won't mess everything up for us...Headin back sat..come on down fork and have breakfast and we'll talk...greg

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I just got back from PIB.  I just flew up to take a look at the ice.  There is a huge open spot at mouse island and everything from Marblehead to Kellys to Peele and mainland Canada and east is open water.  My friends are in my shanty and have 3 nice eyes today, but it is still slow by Rattlesnake, where they are.

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:52 AM »
My son wanted to take 2 of his friends for a plane ride, so I flew north to check the ice out.  There are still 23 shanties west of Put-in-Bay and both ramps looked good.  I was fishing on 16 inches of ice on saturday March 15th and caught 7.  My buddy landed 1 for our limit.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Don't want to stir the pot fork but ya might want to reread what ya posted. Just saying ;)

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:38 AM »
What i meant was, 4 each for our limit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.