Author Topic: Island Ice  (Read 12628 times)

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Island Ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Huh....hope they are OK if its true, but I said before I don't believe any reputable guides were out yet or would be until at least next weekend. Now with this snow gonna be a real challenge. Everything around islands was wide open, moving ice last Sunday.ice is not safe yet....probably won't be next weekend now with blanket on it.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Ice fishing article in Sundays Toledo blade. Bud gehring, one of the islands reputable ice guides says ice is NOT ready yet. Quoting him from the article...."if somebody is taking fisherman out there now, they are absolutely crazy". Goes on to say things are looking good, but snow and any strong winds,(which we have) could change everything. Keep fingers crossed and stay patient.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:37 AM »
This was the article I read. Where does it say your quote?? If you saw it different in the print version let us know. I am all for the truth but taking a cheap shot at another guide is wrong, regardless if he should be out or not. (I believe I know who you are referring to and I do know they have been banned from several other sites as well for numerous issues.)

Lake Erie ice should be ready for anglers

Veteran ice fishing guide Bud Gehring reported on Jan. 3 that there was about four inches of solid ice in most areas around the Lake Erie islands, but open water was still visible between Green and Rattlesnake islands. Gehring wants to see about eight inches of ice “locked in” around the islands before he starts placing shanties and shuttling fishermen out on the ice, and according to WTVG Channel 13 meteorologist Ross Ellet, we should see that kind of thickness very soon. The bitter cold snap descending on the area should have most of the lake ice covered by Jan. 7. The only thing slowing the process now is the snowfall, which acts like an insulation blanket and hinders ice production. Gehring said that the past two winters have produced very little fishable ice around the islands, but that the current winter is shaping up like a good season could be ahead.

- See more at: http://toledoblade.typepad.com/bladeoutdoors/2014/01/lake-erie-ice-should-be-ready-for-anglers-.html#sthash.15SR58Qc.dpuf

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:28 AM »
We can make this real simple.....buy a blade and read the article. I took it word for word out of paper. Also I'm not taking shots at anyone. I've just seen people talking on here about how the ice is good at the bay, and people have been fishing it for a couple weeks. There may have been locals poking around, and I'm sure some of the ice is good, but overall it is NOT good. But when people start saying guys and or guides are on the ice, less experienced people assume it is all good, and that's when they get in trouble. Just don't want somebody getting in trouble!

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:32 AM »
This was the article I read. Where does it say your quote?? If you saw it different in the print version let us know. I am all for the truth but taking a cheap shot at another guide is wrong, regardless if he should be out or not. (I believe I know who you are referring to and I do know they have been banned from several other sites as well for numerous issues.)

Lake Erie ice should be ready for anglers

Veteran ice fishing guide Bud Gehring reported on Jan. 3 that there was about four inches of solid ice in most areas around the Lake Erie islands, but open water was still visible between Green and Rattlesnake islands. Gehring wants to see about eight inches of ice “locked in” around the islands before he starts placing shanties and shuttling fishermen out on the ice, and according to WTVG Channel 13 meteorologist Ross Ellet, we should see that kind of thickness very soon. The bitter cold snap descending on the area should have most of the lake ice covered by Jan. 7. The only thing slowing the process now is the snowfall, which acts like an insulation blanket and hinders ice production. Gehring said that the past two winters have produced very little fishable ice around the islands, but that the current winter is shaping up like a good season could be ahead.

- See more at: http://toledoblade.typepad.com/bladeoutdoors/2014/01/lake-erie-ice-should-be-ready-for-anglers-.html#sthash.15SR58Qc.dpuf

Also I read your link and it is only about 25% of entire article written in blade.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:55 AM »
First, I could not agree with you more about being safe and not creating a sense of security that is not there.
Second, I am in Cleveland, so if you can get me a copy of the Blade here, let me know where bc our paper stinks. That's why I said if it is different in the PRINT version let us know.
Third, I was not clear about taking a shot. I meant the person quoted in the article. Personally, I would use neither of those guys. One will throw you out there and never check on you. ( I know this as true, as I fished with him numerous years ago when I was learning the ice) and the second does not return phone calls or return money owed to people from cancelled trips.
Like you said there are several reputable guides and if you do some research you can find them.
Sorry for any misunderstanding and I was not calling you out.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:24 AM »
NP.......as far as guides....I've never been moved around much at all, whether it was the wind or whatever the reason. My experience is that it is just a neat little getaway to take boy or a couple buddies....but I don't know of any that will stay with you and move you all around yo hunt fish. Also early morning and just at dark have always been best when we are there, and usually don't get to shanty until it is already light and they want to be back in before it is pitch dark.
Final thought on guides....the "reputable" guides won't put you in any danger. As far as "good" guides.....if you happen to sit on the fish and have good luck, you will think you have a good guide. If you're there two days and have no luck then you probably won't think he's that good. Just a matter of timing!

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Everyone knows only guide out there right now is  NOT a REAL GUIDE !!!!  His facebook is a joke with info stating walleye were being caught but now he is doing perch trips {with limits of 10-14 inch perch being caught mind you } because walleyes were not being caught . The REAL guides I have talked to say and week to two depending on this snowfall. 

Stay Safe and dont let a 25.00 cheaper guide cost you promlems !!!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:33 PM »
For sure. Earlier on the page he made a comment we only do perch when the walleye aren't in. Then says they are catching walleye. Then put a post the next day of perch. Silly.

Offline chaddy721

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wack em n stack em!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:38 AM »
id like to give the island ice a try sometime. id rather not do the guide thing. but is it accessible by foot or is it a must to do a ice bus. im looking to ice some eyes without headin to lake simcoe..

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Not sure what you mean by a Ice Bus  ? Air boat ? If that is what you meant your not taking much gear on that ?

Heck ya you can walk when ice  is  good or drive a sled or Quad. About 4 to 5 miles usually to good area's off SBI.

Or wait until ice gets good and go off Crane Creek area.

Offline chaddy721

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wack em n stack em!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:57 PM »
wojo,

yea air boat is what i meant. i figured you couldnt take much gear. i have a side by side (rzr) so ill wait untill we get some good ice. im from pa so its a 3 hours trip for me. a good road trip always clears the head..

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:07 PM »
wojo,

yea air boat is what i meant. i figured you couldnt take much gear. i have a side by side (rzr) so ill wait untill we get some good ice. im from pa so its a 3 hours trip for me. a good road trip always clears the head..

Yea that's what I thought you meant ! I used to have buddy who ran ice charters out of airboat but quit . That was the way to go But not cheap

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:50 PM »
id like to give the island ice a try sometime. id rather not do the guide thing. but is it accessible by foot or is it a must to do a ice bus. im looking to ice some eyes without headin to lake simcoe..
Can get a lot better fishing without going to island area if ice ever gets good, which I think it will in a week or two if weather settles. Later the ice holds the better!

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Can get a lot better fishing without going to island  Thats debatable, but safer at the islands is not debatable.  The islands keep the ice from moving like it does away from the islands.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Can get a lot better fishing without going to island  Thats debatable, but safer at the islands is not debatable.  The islands keep the ice from moving like it does away from the islands.

Yes...island ice is more stable....and longer window to fish, no doubt. I should have stated it differently perhaps. If you have transportation and good ice to get to bay, that's great, but if your only mode is to fly over and use guide, better hope he sits you on fish. At least if you are mobile you can search and have better shot. That was my point. And if ice stays in all of western basin and continues to grow, should not be a problem in " normal" ice fishing conditions. Coldest part of winter yet to come! Hopefully it cooperates!

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Good ice and clear water at the islands,is there anything better? Headin back up sat eve ITS ON BOYS!!!

Offline Skimmerhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:42 PM »
      Forkzilla you may be right but that theory does not hold up when the wind switches to a east wind .

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:04 PM »
With the amount of ice we have now,i don't care what direction the wind is from,its not goin anywhere!!!

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Hey Augerhead, I guess gdccsc  told you!!

Offline growcorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:22 PM »
      Forkzilla you may be right but that theory does not hold up when the wind switches to a east wind .

Augerhead,  no matter which way the wind is blowing one had better be upwind of you!!!!

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Plenty of thin spots all over yet......travel with care.....one report went from 8"-1"........don't assume ice is good all over because of a few, and it is a very few people saying how great ice is. Coldest part of winter coming.....fishing only gets better the later it gets. Travel with care.....be SAFE!

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Im not sure where hoppy saw 1" of ice,but it was not at the islands..The ice from green to rattle is just plain good..That dosent mean you don't have to be careful...The guys out there are reporting 12".I think that's good,and ill be fishin it every week till its gone...

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:23 AM »
No the 1" wasn't there...and HOPPY didn't see it....it was west of there two days ago.......just saying there ARE thin spots out there......the ice off Catawba was moving ten days ago. I'm sure MOST of it is good, but there will be thinner spots....mainly due to snow cover......just be cautious

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I think your on the wrong thread again..This thread is island ice right? By the way you seem to know a lot about the ice up that way..Just wondering how many times you fished it so far this year?

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I think your on the wrong thread again..This thread is island ice right? By the way you seem to know a lot about the ice up that way..Just wondering how many times you fished it so far this year?
It is island ice....and I feel it is right thread because people see good ice and don't want them running blindly from mainland to get there. Personally I like to here many more good reports on conditions from mainland to the islands. Haven't seen that many yet. And I do live near, and I have not been on Erie yet this year, but have fished it for a year or two.....like 30. Just don't want to see someone go down........

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Fair enough..Its all good.I guess we all have limits huh...

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:53 AM »
I flew to the islands yesterday at about 4pm and there were 3 shanties off the north west tip of Catawba, about 6 between PIB State Park & Green, about 25 off the ship house and a dozen just south of Rattlesnake.  A buddy was using my equipment at Rattle and he had a decent weekend, and was going back out today.  9 nice eyes and a nice mess of pearch.  He also caught 2 channel cats.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:53 AM »
I flew to the islands yesterday at about 4pm and there were 3 shanties off the north west tip of Catawba, about 6 between PIB State Park & Green, about 25 off the ship house and a dozen just south of Rattlesnake.  A buddy was using my equipment at Rattle and he had a decent weekend, and was going back out today.  9 nice eyes and a nice mess of pearch.  He also caught 2 channel cats.
Thanks for report!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Fork,
Any idea what kind of ice he was sitting on (clarity/thickness) and how travel was??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.