Author Topic: Your Favorite Perch Recipes  (Read 17502 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re: Your Favorite Perch Recipes
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Any good Japanese Tempura Batter mix (in your local supermrket) ....dip fillets....deep fry....sprinkle with Tempura sauce, or Teriyaki Sauce.   BRING TO MY HOUSE !!!!

Offline Backwoods_boy3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:30 PM »
After seeing some of these recipes, maybe ice shanty should have a cook book section lol. some of these will definitely tried this year.
Ice up! & Lines down!
Keep em' tight!

Offline beaver1080

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Mix egg and little milk dunk perk fillet in it cover in Italian bread crumbs and fry.

i had a bag of mixed perch and bass from this summer that i just cooked up tonight.

didn't have milk or bread crumbs so i used some egg nog and town house crisps italian herb flavor crackers crushed up as a substitute. came out surprisingly tasty.

Offline JigginChenango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I use a catfish batter from price chopper. (blue bag)
I cook on the ice over a small single burner. I milk dunk, roll in batter and fry in oil. AMAZING....

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Beaver 1080 nicely done. Really looks great

Offline woodsy57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Last winter my buddy introduced me to mixing Franks Red Hot Sauce or Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce into his egg wash and then breading with italian bread crumbs. Great flavor with just a touch of heat!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:46 AM »
mmmm   sounds like ill be getting too fat to get off the ice....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline salmonseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Im a fan of Crushed up Corn Flakes, instead of the standard bread crumbs or anything else, it's killer on walleye fillets too!
I think, therefore I fish....

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Beer batter  ::)
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Pan fried and rolled in a 1part shore lunch to 1 part crushed corn flakes.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I like my perch in a fish chowder.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Last night fried up some gills and crappie using the pancake batter! YUM! I was doing quickly and didn't look on here for recipe so I forgot it was a beer batter. I just egg washed and dipped in dry pancake mix. Delicious.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:35 AM »
I do the same but instead of egg wash I use butter milk.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Burton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2013, 05:42 PM »
We put ours in an egg wash, then 50/50 flour and corn meal, then pan fry it. Sometimes I will put cayenne and/or black pepper in the flour-corn meal mixture to add some zip.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Perch tacos... cook the fillets in butter with plenty of crushed/minced garlic, salt, pepper. Flake up the meat when done and put on a warm flour tortilla top with lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream or tarter sauce.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2013, 06:43 PM »
I like to fry the filets plain, flake them apart then mix them into a bunch of mashed potatoes and make perch pie. It works with any kind of fish, and you can spice it up however you want either before you cook it or at the table if nobody can agree on what their favorite spicing is.

Here's my pie crust recipe:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (white flour would work too if that's all you have)
A bit of salt
1/4 cup oil
Somewhere between 2 and four tablespoons of water

Mix the oil salt and flour together. Put in 2 tablespoons of water and mix that all in. If it seems dry still (you should be able to make a ball with it and it shouldn't be sticking to your fingers or crumbling apart) add some more water a little at a time and mix it up until you can make a ball with it. Then roll it out big enough to cover the bottom and sides of your pie plate. The easiest way to roll it out is between two pieces of waxed paper. No rolling pin? Me neither, I use a beer bottle! Pretty much anything round and solid will work.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Lake perch, filleted and skinned or scaled and pan dressed; no matter. I like fried fish and I don't usually like a lot of batter/breading to get in the way. Here it is:

Sparky’s Fish Fry Dry Dust

Ingredients:

•   1 cup flour
•   3 tsp lemon pepper
•   1 tsp seasoned salt (Lawry’s or Season-All are OK)
•   1 tsp cayenne pepper
•   1 tsp fine black pepper
•   ½ tsp garlic powder
•   ½ tsp Old Bay (added 03/07/13 with rice flour instead of wheat)
•   1 small can evaporated milk
•   Some kind of oil for frying

Notes: Used a flour blend of ½ corn, ¼ rice and ¼ bean flour on 05/10/13 as a gluten free option. Works great.

Makes enough to coat a good 2-3 pounds of fish.

Directions:

Combine the first six ingredients. I like to put everything but the flour in a blender or spice grinder and spin it up good first. Then add the flour and spin it up again.

Pat the fillets dry and dip in the evaporated milk. They don’t have to soak but it won’t hurt ‘em either. Let ‘em drip off just a bit and get ‘em in the flour, covering them thoroughly.

Lay the dusted fillets on a wax paper covered pan or sheet and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. This allows the dust to form a bit of a crust so it sticks well during frying.

Heat your oil over medium-high heat. I use an electric fry pan set on 360°. When the oil is just about smoking that’s about right. You can use vegetable oil or butter (lower smoke point) or bacon grease (yum!) or a combination of veggie oil to raise the smoke point for hotter oil and some of the others for extra flavor.

Add fillets, I usually place the rib cage side down first. Fry until golden brown, flip and repeat. Don’t crowd your pan for best results.

Finished fillets can be placed on a warm platter in a 180 - 200° oven until ready to serve. They are best right out of the pan though…

Enjoy!

Serve it up with some homemade slaw and baked beans...........

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:08 PM »
You guys are killing me...I MISS PERCH ! ! !

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Perch tacos... cook the fillets in butter with plenty of crushed/minced garlic, salt, pepper. Flake up the meat when done and put on a warm flour tortilla top with lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream or tarter sauce.
Sounds great I am going to have to give that a try.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Coconut Pearch

Heat oil to 350 (couple inches)
Lightly salt and pepper fillets first
Mix un-seasoned Panko and Shredded coconut   50/50  +- (up to you)
Dip in Flour first
Then dip in a a beaten egg or two
Then press in to the Panko/Coconut mix
Fry until golden brown or floats (5 min)

For a killer dip   - Take some Pina coloda mixer and mix in a table spoon or so of Smuckers pineapple topping 
Works with Walleye and Gills really good!!! and of course Shrimp

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Mine is pretty similar to a few of the above. I use peanut oil, egg bath, and a mix of seasoned Italian bread crumbs and Panko style crumbs for a little crunch. Sometimes I add a little fine grated parm to the crumbs.
Most important: obtain a nice quantity of fresh perch fillets! ;)

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Try this one out some time....egg wash with a dash of hot sauce after patting the fillets dry... I use a combination of crushed up captain crunch cereal, garlic powder, then salt and pepper to taste, then deep fry till crispyyyy.... Kids and wife love it too.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline blue grouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Larry the cable guy beer batter. Sounds red necky, but it is great.  one can of beer one pouch of batter whip till smooth. Heat oil to 370. Dip fillets and drop in oil for 4 to 6 minutes.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2013, 05:18 AM »
Flour, pepper, salt and cajun seasoning. Egg and mustud dip in a bowl.  Cleaned fish or fillets, dip into egg and mustard dip then roll into flour mix and then fry.

Offline paulieg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:55 AM »
hi guys im also from Kingston .I found arecipe on the Ohio fish and game site for perch tacos .Take the filets and drege in a taco seasoning and flour mixture you can doctor it up if you like put them a a piece of foli sprayed with pam or something like it and bake in 350 oven for 12 minutes.Mix the same taco seasoning with sour cream and lime juice.Put the perch in warm taco shell  and top with sour cream lettuce and a little hot sauce .Warning they are addicting.So when the ice gets good go getem and be safe out there

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I tried my hand at a perch scampi last night that was so good. I wish I made enough for left overs today at work.
I did a quick google search for guidance as I've never made a scampi before. I feel like a fool after finding out how easy it is.  :P
Heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil and throw 1lb of fillets in for 3 or 4 minutes. Just enough for them to turn white.
Get them right out of the pan so they don't brown and set aside.
Heat up a little more oil and some fresh minced garlic for just a few minutes. The recipe I read said that browning the garlic will make a bitter taste.
Add 1.5 cups of white wine and 1/4 fresh squeezed lemon to the garlic and cook it down to about half. Turn your heat down to low and let the pan cool a bit. Add a stick of butter. Throw your meat back in once the butter is melted and mixed in.
Toss your choice pasta right in the pan with all of it and and a lil parmasean on the plate.
Crazy easy and outstanding man.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:18 PM »
IT was great.  *BURP*

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Mix aunt jemima pancake mix and old bay until the mix just turns a little pink. I put my fillets in milk instead of eggs. Fry until brown. The batter holds the old bay seasoning but it isnt super thick. Still crunchy but you dont feel like you are just drinking oil :)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Reb do you own a restaurant? because that is what the quality of your food looks like. Great job.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #59 on: Dec 17, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Reb do you own a restaurant? because that is what the quality of your food looks like. Great job.

Oh, I wish.  ::) Thanks...family used to own one. Lots of training. I learned that presentation is a big part of the food...ie; like using Buttercrunch Lettuce instead of Iceberg. I would have skewered 2 stuffed olives on those skewers, but had a big Dill alongside instead along with 2 lemon slices. (I already ate the dill, ha) And yes, I do have a jar of assorted wooden/plastic skewers for sandwiches and such. That is a restaurant" style plate; I have a cupboard full of them from my buddy who is a Master Pastry Baker. Last forever. ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.