Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Jul 28, 2014, 06:33 PM

Fly the Team Iceshanty Flag! New 2x3' flags in the Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Best Auger for Cordless Drill  (Read 1335 times)

walleyehawger

• IceShanty Rookie

Best Auger for Cordless Drill
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:44 PM »
I have been using my Milwaukee with a 4" or a 5" Lazer for a few years and have been happy with it. I am just wondering if I am missing out on a better, more efficient auger. What are you guys using?

ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Best Auger for Cordless Drill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Nils.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Nils and strikemaster are even the hype of the nils, is just hype after buying a nils everyone says the way better I can punch holes way faster and straighter with a lazer, and blades have to be sharpened the same amount had them both on drills my nod goes to lazer

cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:37 PM »
can anyone with a 8" nils comment on the size of drill they use - and it works well...  When mine arrived, it stated at least 18V.  The NILs site says 28V though, and I've heard some say they burned out their 18V.  My hunch is their problem had more to do with plastic gears though.  I know Skil has model 2898LI-02 (metal gears) and porter cable has the PCCK600LB which I "think" has metal gears.  Both 18V.

Anyone using either of these, or something similar with metal gears?  This all I would use if for, and don't want to spend megabucks...

Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:39 PM »
I have a friend that uses a 36v Bosch gets 40 holes out of a battery

cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Thanks Muskrush, but just no way I can see spending almost 400 beans for something I'm going to use just for this.  Hoping someone out there is using something that cost much much less...

dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular

• waitin for winter
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:01 PM »
I have a 8" nils and use a 18 volt Makita. My drill is one of the heavier  hammer drill models. I have used it a couple of years . maybe 20 holes a day, I think that the hammer type models are built with heavier duty gears.

Dave

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• I'd rather be Fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:10 PM »
i think your all set for now

i use lazer 4 and 6" with ridgid brand 24 volt hammer drill with it set to drill mode on speed one
if you want to upgrade the drill look at warranties too.
ridgid bought online or at homedepot are lifetime every thing
mine is 550 foot pounds. not the best torque, but best warranty and i can drill 50 holes at least per battery even when the ice is 24 inches. the cold deletes them faster than using them up. so keep them warm in the shanty or a cloth bag with hand warmers.

20" ICE

@ 50' BOTTOM

bigstorm

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:10 PM »
I think you have to have a hammer drill for any auger to work well. The hammer drills have more torque

Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:17 PM »
I have an 8" Nils, and I have used an 18V on it, worked OK going through up to 15" of ice, but it started to smoke on me, so I went to a Bosch 36V, works like a champ now.

OIM

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:29 PM »
LAZERô SYNTHETIC ULTRA-LITE is what I am going to this year after using it last year on a buddies drill. It leaves a cleaner hole then the Nils and I love the reduced weight. It should really help the gears and clutch on the cordless drills.

walleyehawger

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:20 AM »
LAZERô SYNTHETIC ULTRA-LITE is what I am going to this year after using it last year on a buddies drill. It leaves a cleaner hole then the Nils and I love the reduced weight. It should really help the gears and clutch on the cordless drills.

Does the 1.5lbs difference really make that much of a difference?

gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Just remember that volume of ice to be removed is pi times radius squared times thickness.  Six inch hole radius is three inches and square that gives nine.  Eight inches, four squared is sixteen. Ten inch hole and five squared is twenty five.  You will get just a little better than half as many eight inch holes as six inch, and just a little better than a third as many ten inchers.  Make the hole small and you'll get to make a lot more holes.

OIM

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:03 AM »
Does the 1.5lbs difference really make that much of a difference?

Yes the reduced weight is better for your gear box and Clutch. But the major difference is that the cutting head is very different from the all metal laser. They are using the NOVA head from Mora which is a very good and fast cutting auger in Sweden. Also the Lazer leaves a clear hole then the Nils(less slush in the hole).

finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:11 AM »
i have a milwaukee 18volt red lithium ion and run a 8'' fin bore on it. i have 3 batteries and switch them out between holes so they don't get over heated. i get around 15 holes through 16'' of ice per battery this way. 1 thing i have noticed is i get more holes if i just cut straight through the entire hole without pulling it out half way through to clean some of the ice out

Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Take a look at the Kluge from Vexilar.  Industrial blades and a very light bit!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• I'd rather be Fishing!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Take a look at the Kluge from Vexilar.  Industrial blades and a very light bit!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

http://icefishingtoday.com/pages/web_extra_electric_drill_ice_augers.php

i like what i saw except the guy saying it is effortless and no twist pressure put onto you and then the lady gets on it and it about throws her a few times like a bucking bronco

at least companies are trying to have new concepts on old gear
up selling that drill makes it worse tho and should be offered w/o it. makes me laugh at him  selling a cordless drill with no cover and i bet warranty does not cover water damage. could at least make a cover for it as a package if you want to go there

being it is sold at only one place makes me leary just like the "as seen on tv" products that are always junk. thats why they are "not seen on shelves" because you could return products

i will stay with my life time warranty drill and battery thanks. not two years like they are selling.
wonder what they want for new ones being you can only buy from one place. its not like they have the market corned on them huh

thanks for the share!
20" ICE

@ 50' BOTTOM

frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:01 PM »

i will stay with my life time warranty drill and battery thanks. not two years like they are selling.

Mr 3300,

Make & Model?  Purchased where?  Link?

PS:  You post ALOT.... Thanks Bro :)

Frogmaster... Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• I'd rather be Fishing!
20" ICE

@ 50' BOTTOM

wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:59 AM »
physically speaking, the lighter the hunk of metal you're trying to turn with the tiny electric motor is the better off you are going to be. i have a strikemaster lazer 4 inch and a 20v dewalt drill. I can get 50+ holes through 10 inches of ice with one battery. I dont even bring a second one with me anymore

key thing i noticed was to use far less pressure than I would use when cranking by hand.
It takes a little longer to drill the hole but it uses less power  when i was leaning on it to get a hole drilled fast I was only getting 30 or less before I had to change out batteries.
reason being if you only have a 2 amp hour battery and you are drawing 6 amps out of it while pressing down hard  v.s. drawing .5 amps and keeping the drill turning a few more seconds to cut the same hole...

Also if you can keep the batteries and drill warm I find that I get better performance out of it.
I keep mine in its hard plastic black case and leave it in the sun.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
-Doug Larson

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved