The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice conditions around Madison?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice conditions around Madison?
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:05 PM »
I'm new to ice fishing the area so any and all help is appreciated. I did get to do a quick drive-by of Cherokee and Monona Bay. Couldn't see Cherokee that great but looked to have the majority if not all of it locked up. Sounds like people have been fishing it, but unsure on ice conditions there.

The triangle area looked very iffy with lots of open water holes mixed with the ice. It wouldn't take long if this wind ever died down....   :(

Anyone know of places that are walkable right now?  Might try to get out this weekend or for sure next weekend.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice conditions around Madison?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I only drove by on 113 and then up River Rd which you really can't see anything from I found out...

I was just looking on google maps, does anyone park at the boat ramp I have marked B on this map? Or do most people just park on the street next to the park by point A and walk out?   Thanks for all the help! 

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Burning+Wood+Way&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=43.152381,-89.375367&spn=0.011882,0.027616&sll=43.156201,-89.372728&sspn=0.011881,0.027616&geocode=FY19kgIdzDms-g%3BFe93kgIdiB6s-g&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=16&z=16

Still may give it a go tomorrow, that sounds a little safer than Monona Bay but I didn't get a good look at it today, just the Triangle.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Thank you sir, I'll be sure to give a report if we do end up giving it a go.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:57 PM »
I'm guessing since the river flows in here it's somewhat shallow and silted in? Just wondering what depths I should be expecting to see.

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:47 AM »
I was out for a ride with one of my sons yesterday and we drove by the triangle. There was one guy out on the south east side wayyyy to close to open water. Hope he was not one of us! It still looks bad all so maybe next weekend. Freaking snow.
GO PACK GO

Offline wisconsinwalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:39 PM »
I was on Monona Bay and it was a solid 3 1/2.  In fact I was the the 3rd on the ice of off N Shore Dr.   Only problem was no fish

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Huge changes from yesterday  :thumbsup: I might try to sneak out tomorrow while the wife's at work.........
GO PACK GO

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Good to hear! Should be some options then by next weekend. I'm heading out of town mid-week but next weekend I'm hoping to be out a lot.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Yes, should be more options by next weekend, it's been darn cold here the  past two nights! I had the sense to stay home today 3-5" off snow falling in Madison, be careful out there! I start my annual ice fishing vacation/frenzy Dec 12th, off work for the rest of the year and will be fishing most weekday mornings. Pumped up and ready! Thursday morning chill factor predicted at -20, this crazy old guy will be out at the crack of dawn, hunkered down in the Fish Trap shanty with the heater going!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Still open as can be over here on campus. Just looked out from the Library an hour ago and the waves were rolling in. I can see white on the far side though...

I guess this is typical for this area for Mendota to be last? Guess I'll be fishing elsewhere this weekend...especially with the wind in the short term forecast.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Typcially Mendota and Geneva are the last 2 to freeze over in southern WI

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Does anyone here fish Wingra? It had solid ice as of this weekend and I saw lots of ice skaters and a few fishermen. Wondering if it's worth checking out.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I fish Wingra quite a bit during winter. A nice quiet "getaway" lake that sure beats the Monona Bay zoo! Lots of small bluegills (stunted) and crappies. Nice clear water, it's like a northwoods lake right here in Madison! Ya never know what you might catch in there ice fishing, that's what makes it great, you might be suprised with a huge crappie! Not many people fish it during the winter. I have ice fished the Madison lakes for over 50 years and grew up near Wingra, the fish in that lake just taste great! I do this every year, 5-10 littile Wingra gills, gutted, scaled and baked with butter, yumo!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:48 PM »
We fished Wingra out of kayaks once this summer and had a good time. I'd think it would be a fun lake to ice fish and it's close.  Good to hear it's iced over! This will be near the top of my list for places to fish this weekend. What else should I add to the list now that ice is forming elsewhere? Are Crystal or Fish up by Prairie du Sac any good? Trying to avoid the zoo on Monona Bay from the sound of it...

If you see a silver truck with IA plates, new clam flip over, and my fiancee and I feel free to say hi.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I live close by and I'll be sure to drop a line sometime in Wingra.

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Fished off the west shore of Monona bay yesterday. Ice is a solid 3" but out towards the middle there was open areas still... Didn't venture out far. Fished in the weeds and had little luck. Fished the weeds edges and found a lot of dinks.  All on plastics. Temp dropped and wind picked up. This made for a crappy day. Only good part was that the sun was up.  Can't wait to get onto Waubesa and move around. Tight lines.

Offline onabucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Fished Wingra today for a couple hours.  I popped about 6 holes on the way out from shore, and found about 5" of ice.  Maybe a little less under one snowdrift.  I spent a lot of my time checking ice and messing with my gear (first time out this year.)  Results were about the same as usual: a few dinks--but it was nice to make it out.   :)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Was out yeserday just north of Madison and the wind kicked my butt so after 45 min if fighting it I gave up and told mother nature you win.

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:26 PM »
cylcones - Crystal and Fish lakes north of Madison hold panfish and they are a good place to take kids as they can chase flags for LM bass all day.

Offline fnhguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Can anyone make a recommendation for a decent place to fish earlier in the season like this in Dane or Rock counties?  I've only gone out ice fishing a couple times last year and it was well into the season in a small lake.  I'd like to get out more this year but still find myself to be a bit green when it comes to stepping out on the ice.  I have the usual safety gear, spud bar and picks and whatnot but hoping to find a good place that's generally safer (not that any ice is completely safe) until I acclimate myself better and feel more confident in my skill and knowledge.  I'd probably be better served by trying to get out with a friend as I learn more about the sport but most everyone I know lives several hours away so solo is usually my only option.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Drive north a little and got to fox lake.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Rode my bike by the main body of Monona today near Monona Terrace. Whole lake looked frozen over. Not sure how thick.

Offline Bray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2013, 02:31 PM »
I was on squaw bay yesterday good 5" of ice. Got two gills in 3 hrs. Also I just got an email from the dnr that said that monona is frozen over, I didn't go over that way but am going to try this weekend.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Lake link says they are driving on little green.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:17 PM »
We might give Waubesa a try tomorrow, any tips on where to get on the ice? We're not as concerned w/ fishing spots as we are with ice conditions and good/free parking. We'll be walking but don't mind walking either. I've only ever been to the boat ramp on 51 south of McFarland by the dam, any other places to get on?

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Saw skim ice today on most of Mendota visible from the UW campus.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Tried Waubesa for a few hours this morning, couple ATV's and permy's out near shore on the E side. Ice was anywhere from 3-9" thick where we drilled. Never even marked one, water was crystal clear and could sight fish too. Looked like a fair amount of people out in different areas.

Offline onabucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I tried Waubesa today 10AM-2:30PM--went from Goodland and started south around the point into the SW bay.  Couldn't find weeds there, and ice was only a little over 3".  Like Cyclones30 said, the water is gin clear.  I walked up to the area NE of the landing with the intent of fishing/working my way toward the rock piles (not as easy to find when there's no buoys marking them  ;D ).  I ended up giving up and turning around because the ice was quite variable in thickness (as thin as 3", up to about 8") and I encountered an area where the snow was very slushy/watery underneath the top inch of snow; I'm not sure what that was about, but it was not confidence inspiring.  Zero luck with jigging or tipups. 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Thinking about trying Upper Mud this weekend, but by looking on Lake Link, it sounds like it might be a bit of a zoo out there. My goal this winter is to learn some on Waubesa and Kegonsa, never really fished either in the winter

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Sounds like you need a lake access sticker/pass to park there at upper mud?

I might give University bay a shot here soon, there were tracks on it Sunday and more tracks today. Anyone want to try tomorrow afternoon/evening?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.