Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Southwest Iowa; places to try this winter  (Read 17097 times)

Offline minimalist

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Southwest Iowa; places to try this winter
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:50 AM »
FishinFFP, thanks for the report- do you know if Pinky's Glen has good ice?- I've heard that it sometimes has thin ice in places due to springs.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Man I wish I could take off and go with you guys but can pull away from work today.  Keep us updated on how you do.  I might try a farm pond Sunday afternoon if I can talk the wife into letting me go.

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:53 AM »
From my experience over the years pinkys is safe and best fishing mid to late January.

Offline bulzeye121

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Solid 7" @ Manawa. Fish still not hitting yet  ???. Get the occasional crappie to bite but nothing like last yrs first ice. Gonna try Farm Creek this afternoon. 

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:07 PM »
fished a couple of ponds south of Glenwood today with Chris71383 and gohawks. we did very well on huge gills (some pushing 10 1/2" and nice crappies in 13-14" range--along with a bunch of bass in 12-15" range. I know these people don't read this on this site, but I am very thankful (and I do express that to them) that the land owners of these ponds allow us to fish on them! They can easily say no (and that's their right to do so!) but they graciously allow us (and many others too like yourselves that get permission to fish private waters) to fish. We here in Mills and Fremont Counties in SW Iowa are blessed with some amazing private ponds (too many to count!) and what a great Christmas gift---great ice, great fishing, great company with friends, and all because of generous land owners! Vics; still need to do some fishing with you as well!

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Just got back from a small farm pond. 6 decent crappies biggest 13 in. A dozen average gills. 5 inch ice. Good action from 330 till 530.

Offline sticksnskullsia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Fished three different ponds this weekend. Ice was 4.5 - 6 inches on all of them.  Fished a pond Sunday that was the best, crappie between 11.5" and 13.5" and bluegill 8"-9.5" all day long. 

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:39 AM »
This isn't right it's going to be nice out today and I'm stuck at work. What do you guys think these warmer temps are going to do to the ice?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Doubt this warm front will hurt much, most of the area lakes are capped pretty good , temps are supposed to fall by sunday , and it will help by melting the snow on top of the ice and refreeze.
drilled a hole on manawa late last night and found almost  10" near the sportsman club.

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Had a great weekend fishin with Bert and Chris71383.  Thanks to the landowners for lettin us use their private ponds to catch some great bluegills and crappies.  I am in the process of gettin them a bottle of "thanks" :)  A sidenote...remember to ask permission to fish these private ponds.  We were on a buddy's place and there were a few people out on the ice that didn't have permission to be there when we first showed up.  It's this type of stuff that can put a bad taste in the landowner's mouths that can keep the rest of us from being able to get on the ice.  Take the time and just ask permission.  Most of the time the landowners are fine with it.  Also, a bottle of "thanks" or a 12pack can go a long way in keeping the relationship strong for another trip.  :)
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline vics

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Fished a pond this morning. Ice is in good shape. Fishing was excellent. Checked another spot that has tons of ducks and geese on it and is still not safe to walk on. Those 11" gills will have to wait.

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Finally made it out on manawa today. Only caught one small crappie and marked a few other fish. Decided to leave after my buddies 7 year old thought it was a good idea to step in a hole and get wet

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I keep hearing mixed reports on the weather this weekend?  6" of snow on Sunday??

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:32 PM »
last i looked , 20% chance with high of 17 . low sun night around 4 ,,,,,sweet!,
I dont want the snow but will take all the cold mother nature wants to give.

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Any ice reports on pony I'm going to head that way Saturday morning

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Be careful out there that one 50 degree day messed it up quite a bit .  My favorite lakes are really messed down around Mt Ayr at least 2" of water on what once was 5" of good clear ice so I will bet there's some bad spots . It's going to take a week of cold weather to straighten things up . I'm hoping we don't get more than 2" of snow . Good Luck All and mostly be Safe out there !!!!!!!
Never to many short poles

Offline vics

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Fished a pond in sw iowa and.there was no standing.water yesterday. Ice.was good.

Offline gsppointer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:31 AM »
What county were you fishing in?

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Thanks Vic.  If I had to guess he was either in mills or Fremont

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Ringold county

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Anyone been out today?  Usually after a melt and re freeze the bite turns off for awhile. Not sure if it's the rush of nutrients that wash in the water or what.  Thinking of going tomorrow morning but all reports I have got have been slow slow slow bite.

Offline FishinFFP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Sat out today from 0900 till 5 pm..SKUNKED!!  Hopefully it picks up again sooner than later, has been an awesome start up till today

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:18 PM »
We fished pony creek from 7-9 this morning with no luck the hit manawa from about 10-12 marked a lot of fish bit only iced one 11in crappie

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Got skunked for the first time in a long time tonight. Couldn't even mark fish. No sure where they were.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Larry:
so did my son and I..skunked..marked fish but they wouldn't even nibble on it. We fished 2 ponds south of glenwood..usually we catch some small fish to keep us busy, but today from 2:00-4:30pm..nothing...must have been the weather change. tried everything (and yes had live bait...colored spikes).

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Larry:
so did my son and I..skunked..marked fish but they wouldn't even nibble on it. We fished 2 ponds south of glenwood..usually we catch some small fish to keep us busy, but today from 2:00-4:30pm..nothing...must have been the weather change. tried everything (and yes had live bait...colored spikes).

I did the same. Switched colors. Live bait plastics fished bottom middle top. I did lose a crappie at the hole but that was the only action I had.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Wow that's bad luck maybe just the low pressure I'm hoping to get out the 24th

Offline sticksnskullsia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Fished a pond Friday...SLOW. 5 crappie and a couple dozen gills. 
http://s248.photobucket.com/user/tksimmons/media/fc9471e7-cfa3-4652-843c-0bd60c3580d6.jpg.html

Fished again yesterday and couldn't keep the gills off, ended up with 15 crappie too. http://s248.photobucket.com/user/tksimmons/media/b3a67f7d-ce72-4a9e-8a25-7e9ae37fd876.jpg.html

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:29 AM »
I might try a pond Tuesday Afternoon for a couple hours hoping for some better luck...  I just have to get this skunk taste out of my mouth....

Offline slnichols2

• IceShanty Rookie
Mile Hill Ice
« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Any updates on Mile Hill Ice?  I'd like to try it in a few days.  Out on Wehrspahn in Sarpy CO. Ne. 8-10 very clear and solid. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.