Author Topic: Vexilar FLX 28 info.  (Read 30215 times)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar FLX 28 info.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I got an ultra pack for my FL-8. The master switch was a nice feature. I got the FL-28 and the last one they had was in a pro pack. I was thinking I would switch the FL-8 to the pro and the FL-28 to the ultra but the 28 uses a different power inlet on the back so it would have required a bit of rewiring.

It was explained to me that the master switch isn't needed with the FL-28 so I am leaving it on the pro pack.

I prefer the pro pack and ultra pack over the genz box. Nice to have the full soft cover and rod holder. I like the enclosed battery on the ultra pack.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I have my FLX28 on an Ultra Pack, as was my FL20 & FL8.   I prefer the Ultra Pack since I use the power ports on the front to power my lights in my portable.  Also the modular charging plug & master switch are great features.  Battery is fully enclosed and wiring protected. 

Not sure why you would have been told the switch is not needed on the 28.... The only thing you don't need on the 28 is the battery status indicator, but I do still have a digital one on mine anyway. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:46 PM »
I have my FLX28 on an Ultra Pack, as was my FL20 & FL8.   I prefer the Ultra Pack since I use the power ports on the front to power my lights in my portable.  Also the modular charging plug & master switch are great features.  Battery is fully enclosed and wiring protected. 

Not sure why you would have been told the switch is not needed on the 28.... The only thing you don't need on the 28 is the battery status indicator, but I do still have a digital one on mine anyway.

I talked to the Vexilar rep at the St. Paul show. He said that there is leakage with the older units. The power switch on the 28 is more of a master switch. That is what he told me.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I talked to the Vexilar rep at the St. Paul show. He said that there is leakage with the older units. The power switch on the 28 is more of a master switch. That is what he told me.

Ok.  I didn't realize there was a leakage with the older units.  If that is the case, I can see going without it.  I still prefer the Ultra Pack.  It is large, but fits great in the Clam flasher bag.  Lots of storage to go with it too. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:24 AM »
Ok.  I didn't realize there was a leakage with the older units.  If that is the case, I can see going without it.  I still prefer the Ultra Pack.  It is large, but fits great in the Clam flasher bag.  Lots of storage to go with it too.

My ultra pack didn't come with the soft case. The propack my 28 is in did come with it.

Maybe after the season I will see if I want to rewire and swap the FL-28 and the FL-8. Right now it looks like ther would not be an advantage for me to do so.

With the older units, in the cases without a master switch, you really had to watch your charge. Not all but a lot of them would lose charge between outings. The master switch on the ultra pack was one of the fixes for that. Sounds like with the 28 it is not a problem.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:59 AM »
My ultra pack didn't come with the soft case. The propack my 28 is in did come with it.

How long ago did you get the Ultra Pack?  I know 3 years ago they did not come with the soft case.  My FL20 that was on the UP didn't have it.  My FLX28 did come with the soft case on the UP.  Then I swapped out the FL20 for the FLX28 and sold the 20 with the new UP, ProView, and battery.  I kept my dual beam and older pack since I had drilled the UP frame to screw down the 'ducer switch. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:08 AM »
How long ago did you get the Ultra Pack?  I know 3 years ago they did not come with the soft case.  My FL20 that was on the UP didn't have it.  My FLX28 did come with the soft case on the UP.  Then I swapped out the FL20 for the FLX28 and sold the 20 with the new UP, ProView, and battery.  I kept my dual beam and older pack since I had drilled the UP frame to screw down the 'ducer switch.

I got mine when they first came out. I have had it for a few years.

I was a bit annoyed at first when I realized I couldn't just swap the FL-6 and the FL-28 plug them in and go. Then looking at them, and talking to the rep from Vexilar, I realized that the FL-8 will benefit from the master switch and the battery status monitor on the ultra pack and the FL-28 would not.

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:19 AM »
Got mine few days ago , what i'm realizing is that the iceducer on this model is very loud , i can hear it if I turn the bottom un my direction and it's loud.
 I called Vexilar and talk about this problem and what they tall me is that this unit was built to be ok at 300fow and the crystal is bigger and they admitted they are louder then the smaller once. They offer to exchange my ice ducer , to a smaller model which i am gonna do .
The lake were I usually go is 15 ft so anything swimming near by it's going to have a ear full , its sounds like a machine gun .

The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:23 AM »
Got mine few days ago , what i'm realizing is that the iceducer on this model is very loud , i can hear it if I turn the bottom un my direction and it's loud.
 I called Vexilar and talk about this problem and what they tall me is that this unit was built to be ok at 300fow and the crystal is bigger and they admitted they are louder then the smaller once. They offer to exchange my ice ducer , to a smaller model which i am gonna do .
The lake were I usually go is 15 ft so anything swimming near by it's going to have a ear full , its sounds like a machine gun .

If the proview/9* is on it and you fish shallow you'll have problems getting your lure to show green even on LP and the gain all the way down. The proview is for deep water and a VERY sensitive ducer that can pick up anything ...........have no idea why vex is pushing them so hard. If you can get it exchanged for the new tribeam, you won't regret it. It's the best all around ducer period.

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:33 AM »
Fished whit my new FLX 28  so far I am not very impressed :
 The brushless motor is making noise do to the fact that is unbalance _ vexilar admitted they have a issue whit that and hopefully Japan Factory is gonna resolve the issue .
 Also I have a cold solder joint or a loose connection in the unit - vexilar  response :

I may have found the source of the inconsistent readings you are getting with the FLX28.  We have had a few of the transducers with loose connections to the back side of some of the units.  This will give varying results from the transducer.  Ex - Low output that cause customers the need to raise the gain to see their bait.
Try this:  on the connector for the transducer on the back side of the FLX28, there are 3 male pins.  With power off to unit, take a small blade knife and slightly spread these pins so they will fit tighter into the transducer cord connector.  Reconnect and check this out on a lake.  It should take out the inconsistency you’ve been experiencing (this should clear out the gremlins).  If this takes care of the inconsistent readings, then maybe you’ll be able to make use of the unit until the end of ice fishing season and then send it in for the vibration issue.  Let me know if this works for you.  Thank you.
A a brand new $600 unit   ::) 
 Then i discus the noise issue unbalance motor and loud iceducer and he suggested to send unit back to the vendor for a refund and get a Fl 20
 hear is his response:
The FLX28 performs best when used with the 9 degree Pro View Transducer.  The 19 degree transducer will work for the flasher function but may not give a solid enough return for the digital depth to give accurate readings under all circumstances.  For your application and type of fishing that you do we can only suggest you go with a unit with an FL18 or FL20 head with a 12 degree transducer.  Our suggestion is to return the unit for a refund and see if they’ll credit you towards either of these 2 units.  Thank you.

I am assuming they don't care if somebody else end up whit a lemon unit ?
 Why they pushing this unit so bad and in the end they recommend a less performance unit ?
 I Had 2 Vexilars before and the buzzing noise was bad but never had a issue whit balance.
 I 'm disappoint in FLX 28 and customer service , maybe Vexilar is not the company we use to know .
 my 2 cent

_ I'll post a picture of the unit showing on normal setting to able see the jig gain was at #7 at nr 5 it was not visible ,
So I gues I'll take a knive and bucher the conector ..  :-\

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:55 PM »
 The brushless motor is making noise do to the fact that is unbalance _ vexilar admitted they have a issue whit that and hopefully Japan Factory is gonna resolve the issue .
 Also I have a cold solder joint or a loose connection in the unit - vexilar  response :
 Then i discus the noise issue unbalance motor and loud iceducer and he suggested to send unit back to the vendor for a refund and get a Fl 20
 hear is his response: I am assuming they don't care if somebody else end up whit a lemon unit ?
 Why they pushing this unit so bad and in the end they recommend a less performance unit ?
 I Had 2 Vexilars before and the buzzing noise was bad but never had a issue whit balance.
 I 'm disappoint in FLX 28 and customer service , maybe Vexilar is not the company we use to know .
 my 2 cent

_ I'll post a picture of the unit showing on normal setting to able see the jig gain was at #7 at nr 5 it was not visible ,
So I gues I'll take a knive and bucher the conector ..  :-\

(Image removed from quote.)

First I'be neard of an unbalanced issue? Can't say I've had a problem or been unhappy with mine.

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I know ,,
 Tooday I got Customer Service after battling and wearing of my keyboard , they send me a new head and a 19º ducer  :)
 I'll keep you posted.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:58 PM »
more then likely the loud  ice ducer was from the loose fitting pins to the tranducer cable. I had the same problem ,it would get worse in low power mode cause of the loose connections. also I would get a interference through the digital display, all I had to do was spread the pins apart a small amount to put more pressure on the female ends of the transducer cable.these pins are split down the center if you look at the back of the head unit where the transducer cable plugs into you will see the small split in the pins.  my motor is whisper quiet compared to my fl-18. the flx-28 display has a lot better resolution then my fl-18. undecided on the 9 degree pro ducer. going to try my 12 degree off my fl-18 and compare this weekend. I mainly fish 15ft and shallower. at first I was not happy cause the unit had a problem but after I fixed the pins  I like it better then my fl-18.

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:11 AM »
 hear is his response: I am assuming they don't care if somebody else end up whit a lemon unit ?
 my 2 cent

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't understand your point about customer service ? You may not be happy with the unit but it's quite obvious from their responses you posted that they are in contact with you and ready to resolve any issues you are having .

TD

Offline ugillme

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BLUEGILLS FEAR ME
« Reply #74 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:52 PM »
i am a vexilar fan and love them. but i just watched a video on the flx28 and does this units readout continously flash. the depth and the jig and the fish coming up all were just flashing like a disco ball. i love my vex and was going to upgrade but i will have to go to the fl20 instead if the readout on the 28 flashes like that. it was driving my eyes buggy to watch the video. the guy had it set in automode so i dont know if that made a difference.
HAVE GILLS? WILL TRAVEL.
YOU CAN USE MY VEX WHILE YOUR MARCUMS IN THE SHOP.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:51 PM »
the flashing of the display was probably from the video camara they were using. when I video taped mine in use it did the same thing .

Offline ugillme

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BLUEGILLS FEAR ME
« Reply #76 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:31 PM »
cool. so the readout is steady and dosent flash.
HAVE GILLS? WILL TRAVEL.
YOU CAN USE MY VEX WHILE YOUR MARCUMS IN THE SHOP.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:48 PM »
yes, sometimes though the digital depth will flash a different depth,[eg. go from 6.5fow to 7.5fow] while in low power mode. or very weedy conditions. which is normal

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:59 AM »
I fell like i have to answer few guys  ,,
 @GWK
 I looked at my connector and determine that was not the case . Spreading the legs in that plastic plug it's not a healthy solution , I never had a problem with the old type ( metal) plugs. 
 The ice ducer and power  connector ( male side ) are located on the unit and they are solder directly on the PC Board ,  old models they have the connector connected to the board whit wire leads , it's a safer and better  choice . So next time when you spreading them contact legs remember you putting pressure on the board direct .
 What they accomplish ? they save few $ on labor and parts , now the connectors can be soldered by the GT-34X production robot  :-\
A old timer tall me : once that product become popular it's going to be mass produced  and quality it's going down.  I"m guessing he was right . 

@
 The answer I got from them it's a resolute of numerous calls and discussions over the phone .
  As we speak I receive a brand new head whit zero vibration .
  My ? is  : Why I have to work so hard  to convince somebody over the phone that I have a bad unit in my hands ? I was tooled to fish whit this unit until the ice fishing season is over and then fix the issue .
 I well be a costumer of Vex is no dough, I like their product but I have to be more carful when choosing one .

As I mention , I got a new head and a 12º iceducer .oldtrapper
  Sunday is the test .

Offline shoredog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • No bite...willy biggs
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:41 PM »
i am a vexilar fan and love them. but i just watched a video on the flx28 and does this units readout continously flash. the depth and the jig and the fish coming up all were just flashing like a disco ball. i love my vex and was going to upgrade but i will have to go to the fl20 instead if the readout on the 28 flashes like that. it was driving my eyes buggy to watch the video. the guy had it set in automode so i dont know if that made a difference.

I have  a fl 28 and it flashes  like that all the time .  Turn your gain all the way up usually  will make it flash even quicker .
I'm tripping  balls 

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:28 AM »
Happy ending ,
 Got new head and a 12º iceducer , everything worked flawlessly
 hear is the proof

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:08 AM »
Sold my fl20 and fl8 and ordered a flx 28, I will post how I like it, I'm also selling my fl18 as I  purchased a helix 5 ice and love it and have too many flashers, will be putting the flx 28 to the test next week on lake Winnipeg
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:34 AM »
Sold my fl20 and fl8 and ordered a flx 28, I will post how I like it, I'm also selling my fl18 as I  purchased a helix 5 ice and love it and have too many flashers, will be putting the flx 28 to the test next week on lake Winnipeg

Please report!  I love my flx28
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.