Author Topic: Vexilar FLX 28 info.  (Read 30223 times)

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar FLX 28 info.
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Is anybody using this model yet? I have a FL-22 & have been thinking of an up grade.There is lots of info what the machine features , just not a lot of user info.Mainly Im wondering if its worth another $600.00

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Vexilar FLX 28 info.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:29 PM »
From what I've heard from the guys using up north they were saying the weed mode is ausome and its quite an upgrade but I haven't got my new FLX 28 wet yet but from the guys I no up north love it . My nephew bought a Fl 22 and I have a 8 and a 20 and now a 28  as soon as I get mine in the water I will be posting more
Never to many short poles

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I sold my 22 for $450.00 on craigslist and purchased the FLX 28. I got out and played around with it for about an hour, I am glad I got the 28 I like the auto depth mode and the different color palettes. I started to catch fish so I just fished with it for the rest of the night
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Love it!!! I've used mine twice now! So happy I got rid of my lx6 and went back to vex. Its an awesome machine.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:01 PM »
This is just a repost from the question asked in the vex vs marcum thread.

I Upgraded to an FLX28 this year. Been out twice with it. I upgraded from a showdown which was my backup unit, and downgraded my FL20 to the back up.

It's a nice unit, a solid vexilar product from what I can tell.

I though about an LX9, but decided against it. Reason being that with the digital stuff I notice a split second lag that really bugs me. On my showdown I could tell it was just a split second late on the display from the bite. My buddy also has a humming bird was a 345 now it's a 597 that he uses and noticed the same issue with it. It bugged him so much he bought an FL22 last year.

After we both tried the digital units, they just seemed to be a PITA trying to get the automatic settings to work and having to fine the with manual settings. It's just so much simpler and easier to turn a knob or press the knob to clear up interference vs going into menus and settings.

While I like the FLX 28, I haven't gotten to use the weed mode which I think will be nice. I've only fished with it 2 times in 5-10ft of water. I was a little worried it might have a split second delay, but it didn't.

Here is what I noticed with it vs my FL20.
There is no vex "hum"
The display seemed to flicker more vs the old brush system
Digital depth was nice and at night the dots help to gage depth in water column
Auto depth worked fine-the 5ft increments will be nice when in 10-15ft of water
Color options would be nice if color blind, but I preferred the original colors. The white was to bright at night.
Demo mode was nice to show people new to the units how they work.

Overall it offers a few more options, but I like my FL20 a lot. If I wasn't upgrading from a gray scale showdown. I don't think you would really notice any vast improvements over an FL20 or 22. Unless weed mode really kicks butt!

Do I think it's better then an LX7 or LX9. Can't really say, depends on each persons preference. I just haven't really been drawn to the whole LCD computer type stuff for ice fishing. That and after messing with upgrades to get the showdown to finally work the way it was suppose to I've come to hate "upgrades"

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:08 PM »
I've seen a lot of untis on Craigslist for sale since the new models have came out so some one looking for a good deal on a used unit it's a buyers market

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:15 PM »
This is just a repost from the question asked in the vex vs marcum thread.

I Upgraded to an FLX28 this year. Been out twice with it. I upgraded from a showdown which was my backup unit, and downgraded my FL20 to the back up.

It's a nice unit, a solid vexilar product from what I can tell.

I though about an LX9, but decided against it. Reason being that with the digital stuff I notice a split second lag that really bugs me. On my showdown I could tell it was just a split second late on the display from the bite. My buddy also has a humming bird was a 345 now it's a 597 that he uses and noticed the same issue with it. It bugged him so much he bought an FL22 last year.

After we both tried the digital units, they just seemed to be a PITA trying to get the automatic settings to work and having to fine the with manual settings. It's just so much simpler and easier to turn a knob or press the knob to clear up interference vs going into menus and settings.

While I like the FLX 28, I haven't gotten to use the weed mode which I think will be nice. I've only fished with it 2 times in 5-10ft of water. I was a little worried it might have a split second delay, but it didn't.

Here is what I noticed with it vs my FL20.
There is no vex "hum"
The display seemed to flicker more vs the old brush system
Digital depth was nice and at night the dots help to gage depth in water column
Auto depth worked fine-the 5ft increments will be nice when in 10-15ft of water
Color options would be nice if color blind, but I preferred the original colors. The white was to bright at night.
Demo mode was nice to show people new to the units how they work.

Overall it offers a few more options, but I like my FL20 a lot. If I wasn't upgrading from a gray scale showdown. I don't think you would really notice any vast improvements over an FL20 or 22. Unless weed mode really kicks butt!

Do I think it's better then an LX7 or LX9. Can't really say, depends on each persons preference. I just haven't really been drawn to the whole LCD computer type stuff for ice fishing. That and after messing with upgrades to get the showdown to finally work the way it was suppose to I've come to hate "upgrades"

I like many things about what the Vex 28 seems to offer. One thing I'm just very hung up on is that Proview ducer. I just personally don't like the idea of not having the cone width selection separate from the gain/sensitivity control. I'll be interested to see how some feel about it after using it.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:15 PM »
I was able to sell my 22 for a decent price and upgraded to the 28.  Its going to take a dozen times out probably before I'm comfortable saying how I feel about it.   I get a kick out of everyone saying how much they love it already and its the best.   ;D

Some things I like so far

20 levels of IR
Auto mode
extra colors

I do wish there were numerical indicators around the dial. The digital display should have eliminated all math, but it stops a bit short by not having numbers, and only ticks.

I like how the digital depth finds a number and locks on.  My ICE55 would always get confused, especially when a big school of fish was under me.

The jury is still out on the soft case.  I might just go naked, it seems easier that way especially with the transducer nest in the back.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I was able to sell my 22 for a decent price and upgraded to the 28.  Its going to take a dozen times out probably before I'm comfortable saying how I feel about it.   I get a kick out of everyone saying how much they love it already and its the best.   ;D

Some things I like so far

20 levels of IR
Auto mode
extra colors

I do wish there were numerical indicators around the dial. The digital display should have eliminated all math, but it stops a bit short by not having numbers, and only ticks.

I like how the digital depth finds a number and locks on.  My ICE55 would always get confused, especially when a big school of fish was under me.

The jury is still out on the soft case.  I might just go naked, it seems easier that way especially with the transducer nest in the back.

What depth and types of elements have you fished in (weeds, rocks, etc.) and how did the proview seem to work with them?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I like many things about what the Vex 28 seems to offer. One thing I'm just very hung up on is that Proview ducer. I just personally don't like the idea of not having the cone width selection separate from the gain/sensitivity control. I'll be interested to see how some feel about it after using it.

I just bought the FLX 28 head put it on my double vision with a tribeam

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Very generic 28-35 FOW over soft bottom.

Got to play with lots of fish though. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I have not bought one mainly because of the pro view. I really wish they would continue to offer different ducer combos packed from the factory, that way people can get what they want for the situations they find themselves in.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I seen a facebook post of three FLX-28s in the same hole, marking a bait, with no interference.  I find that pretty dang impressive. 

I hope to get my hands on one sometime soon to check out for myself.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:41 PM »
I seen a facebook post of three FLX-28s in the same hole, marking a bait, with no interference.  I find that pretty dang impressive. 

I hope to get my hands on one sometime soon to check out for myself.

Thats what sold me on my first LX-5 back in 07 or so....

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Yep, I like my marcums for that reason, but I still have to hit the IR a couple times, these guys claim that is absolutely unnecessary with these.

I don't have any plans on switching back by any means, but I love to play with what's out there, I'd like to toy with one.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Thats what sold me on my first LX-5 back in 07 or so....

Lol. So marcum has already had this technology to not inter fear with each other years ago? Nice
KCCO

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:48 PM »
So does marcum LX 7 doesn't have or need any IR interference button at all .  It's just a question I have because I'm going to buy one this season and will a bird or vex interfere  with the 7  if you fish together in a permy

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:59 PM »
So does marcum LX 7 doesn't have or need any IR interference button at all .  It's just a question I have because I'm going to buy one this season and will a bird or vex interfere  with the 7  if you fish together in a permy

The Lx7 does have one and you may need it.  Oddly my Lx9 is very good with a ICE55 near it, but doesn't do as well with Vexs. Also Even when an Lx5 was in the area it got a decent amount of feedback.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Thanks I was thinking hopefully they had something like that Thanks again Ron

Offline stretch1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I am keeping my 22. i am not a fan of how the 28 lights up. By that I mean it is too noisy looking for my taste and prefer the solid lines on my 22 as opposed to the lines of dots the 28 has. But that is just my opinion.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. Some good points here.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:36 PM »
The Lx7 does have one and you may need it.  Oddly my Lx9 is very good with a ICE55 near it, but doesn't do as well with Vexs. Also Even when an Lx5 was in the area it got a decent amount of feedback.

I have fished 3 LX-7's a FL8 and 22 in close proximity, the 22 had the most issues with interference, also ran the 7 next to my 5 the last 2 seasons rare we ever had an issue...This year will be a 7 and another 6 or 7 side by side...The thing I love best is when chasing perch out deep say 40-50' we can easily watch 4 lines on 1 screen without being confused on what bait the fish is on...Except those times when the fish are stacked 15' deep....

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Getting back to the "Vexilar FLX 28 info"...   ;)

I have been using this flasher for the past 2 months.  I used it in my boat and it performed flawlessly!  I recently made it out on the ice and again it did everything I asked it to do right out of the box.

The Auto feature takes a lot of the guess work out of picking the correct depth setting.  I was fishing a new lake and used the Auto at first.  Then I used the manual ranges more for hole hopping since we targeted fish in the 12-17' depths.   

I thought the unit was very easy to read in direct sunlight.  As evening got closer the Night View was a MUST.  I found myself really liking the different color palates as well.  Setting #3 has been my favorite. 

Low Power is still a great feature that I have always been a fan of.  Now there is a "Weed Mode" that really helps remove some of the clutter and helps me catch fish.

Auto Zoom is still my favorite.  I keep the unit on N which is the Normal setting and start hole hopping.  When we found the Crappies hanging along the bottom I simply turned the knob to AZ and began catching them.  When they moved on I went back to N and repeated the process.

All in all I am happy with the FLX 28!  If you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:52 PM »
I really like mine.

;D
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Dude, that pictures is sweet!!!! Thanks for putting that fish back!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2013, 01:10 AM »
Getting back to the "Vexilar FLX 28 info"...   ;)

I have been using this flasher for the past 2 months.  I used it in my boat and it performed flawlessly!  I recently made it out on the ice and again it did everything I asked it to do right out of the box.

The Auto feature takes a lot of the guess work out of picking the correct depth setting.  I was fishing a new lake and used the Auto at first.  Then I used the manual ranges more for hole hopping since we targeted fish in the 12-17' depths.   

I thought the unit was very easy to read in direct sunlight.  As evening got closer the Night View was a MUST.  I found myself really liking the different color palates as well.  Setting #3 has been my favorite. 

Low Power is still a great feature that I have always been a fan of.  Now there is a "Weed Mode" that really helps remove some of the clutter and helps me catch fish.

Auto Zoom is still my favorite.  I keep the unit on N which is the Normal setting and start hole hopping.  When we found the Crappies hanging along the bottom I simply turned the knob to AZ and began catching them.  When they moved on I went back to N and repeated the process.

All in all I am happy with the FLX 28!  If you have any more questions feel free to ask away!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

So pro staff, tell your buddies over there they need an adjustable zoom.  A lot of us actually know how to fish suspended fish and we might enjoy Vexilar flashers once again if we had that option, FYI.

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:23 AM »
So pro staff, tell your buddies over there they need an adjustable zoom.  A lot of us actually know how to fish suspended fish and we might enjoy Vexilar flashers once again if we had that option, FYI.

To me, the Weed Mode would be way more beneficial than a adjustable zoom.   I can already see suspended fish on the right side on my screen, no need to zoom in on them in the middle of the water column.  I do, however, use the zoom for Walleye and Perch when they are hugging the bottom.  Different strokes for different folks.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:35 AM »

To me, the Weed Mode would be way more beneficial than a adjustable zoom.   I can already see suspended fish on the right side on my screen, no need to zoom in on them in the middle of the water column.  I do, however, use the zoom for Walleye and Perch when they are hugging the bottom.  Different strokes for different folks.

There shouldn't be a reason that a unit of that cost doesn't have it though. It's something that all of its competitors have and has certainly costed them more than a few customers through the years as well. You'd think from even a marketing standpoint that they should get on this, let alone the benefits from the end users to have a more diverse unit.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Jesus, do you guys really have nothing better to do than troll a thread full of perfectly good information? FYI I love the auto lock zoom on the bottom, never once did I use the adjustable zoom on my last flasher. For the odd occasion a fish actually comes in high in the lake I fish then I have absolutely no problem catching him without zoom in the regular column.  If it doesn't work for you then don't buy it, simple as that.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:06 AM »
How is that trolling ding dong?  Pro staff are supposed to be the eyes and ears of these companies, not just push their crap every chance they get. 

It's a legitimate gripe.  I use my adjustable zoom and would never buy a flasher with out it again.  When fishing over a 100'+ and the fish are schooled in a 20' section, it's real nice to zoom into that school. 

Speaking of trolling
FLX-28 will definitely get all the marcum guys worked up.
You're really trying to bait guys in here, but when I bring up my legit inner issue, you cry troll, horse pucky.

I'd switch brands in a heart beat if I found something that suited me better, I have no brand loyalty, that's a fools pride.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.