Author Topic: Ice Hacks!  (Read 8592 times)

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Hacks!
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:50 AM »
Does anyone have any 'ice hacks'? By this I mean using something that you have in everyday life to make something easier while ice fishing! An example of this might be putting a flashlight under a clear water bottle to make a lantern or putting a glow stick in a water bottle then dropping it down a hole for an underwater light. Things similar to that...anyone think of anything to make life on ice easier??
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Ice Hacks!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:54 AM »
blue tooth speaker on ice with an android feeding it tunes, vibration calls in the fish

a friend of the family who goes with us once and a while does not have a lantern and brings a one gallon milk jug full of water and straps his head light to it with the lens facing/touching the side of the jug of water and makes an ambient light, like a lantern but small scale. he does this after he is set up to fish. puts the light back on his head when done and going back to his truck.
i felt bad for him, but liked his ingenuity and he seemed happy enough.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:54 AM »
No but I like the ones you just shared

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Does anyone have any 'ice hacks'? By this I mean using something that you have in everyday life to make something easier while ice fishing! An example of this might be putting a flashlight under a clear water bottle to make a lantern or putting a glow stick in a water bottle then dropping it down a hole for an underwater light. Things similar to that...anyone think of anything to make life on ice easier??

Here's a whole board of tips and tricks.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=29.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:26 PM »
All very helpful! But not exactly what I was talking about...those are tips not hacks. Hacks are like taking normal everyday items and using them for something extremely helpful like these http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/camping-hacks-that-are-borderline-genius?s=mobile
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Bought a cheap dollar store  vegetable spoon and use it as a sit down skimmer . I will also just plant it in the snow beside a tip up hole so i do not need to carry the skimmer over every time, it also adds a bit of visibility.   I made a cool device for sinking my tip up line faster but I would need pics to explain and I am thinking I need a patent

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Jordy1380,   How about number three from you camping hacking link the Mountain Dew + baking soda + peroxide = lantern.  Take that glowing bottle of Dew tie a line around the neck so you can retrieve it and use it for an underwater fish attractor light.  Looks like it gives off a nice greenish glow might be worth a try. 

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:03 PM »
I attached the cable of my portable fish finder to a old wooden broom handle with baler twine and mad a cross section with another piece of broom handle making a "t" that will sit across my ice hole. The transducer sits straight and I can easily pull it out of the hole when I get a fish and drop it back down when I need it.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:37 AM »
I cut a hole 6" from the top of a 5-gallon bucket just large enough to hold the butt of an ice rod. Then I cut a groove about 3" deep and 1" wide directly across from the hole and in the top of the bucket to hold the rod. Great for traveling light! Good Fishing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.