The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ion Battery Ice Auger?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion Battery Ice Auger?
« on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:40 AM »
So I've trolled through quite a few threads and am about 90% certain I'm going to get the Ion Ice Auger. I'd like to throw out one last post however to get some feedback on what you guys think. Regarding how I fish, it should be more than sufficient as I probably average under 20 holes per day and would be able to recharge daily. Please let me know if you or anyone you know has had poor experiences with the Ion. Thus far, the only complaints are from people who move every 15 minutes or people who are just simply afraid of batteries in cold weather.

Thanks in advance!
-Nick

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
Re: Ion Battery Ice Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I use the 19 &1/2 Craftsman drill with a power handle. 3 LI batteries will last all day on 20" of ice. Costs less than the new battery auger models. You do need a "Nemrod" attachment for about $20 but then yer good to go.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013, 12:48 PM »
I fished mine from beginning of Jan. on thru last ice here in the Yoop.  Many times I could get a couple days out of one charge on the battery.  I'm fortunate to work on the water and dive a lot so it usually doesn't take long to find exactly where I want to be.  The only time I had an issue was one day the actual temp was 0 to -5.  I had the auger and battery in the back of the truck on the 10 minute drive to the lake and then another 20 minute ride on the atv.  When we got to the where we wanted to setup it only drilled 3 holes (~18 inches of ice) before it quit.  We set the portable up and I kept the battery in there for 20 minutes and it drilled as many holes as I needed after that.  I was worried after that so I started drilling holes before we left to see where the battery was at.  I drilled another dozen holes and it was still going strong when I got bored.  From now on if its below 10 degrees I just pop the battery off and keep it in the truck for the drive to the lake and in the portable or shack when not in use.

I updated from a Jiffy 30 auger and if I had to do it all over again with all the options that are out there I would.  Its been trouble free, haven't had a time yet where I wanted more holes but the battery was dead (at least not yet) and it cuts fast enough for me.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:41 PM »
When I looked at them last year my biggest fear was about the battery getting cold. I talked to several dealers and was told to put the battery under my coat or in the truck. I don't have room for a battery under my coat because my belly gets in the way. I found a used Ice Gator and bought it. It has performed without fail. With an 8 inch augar on it you can cut thru 20 plus inches of ice fast. It was the 20 of April when I tried it out. I still have a few concerns about the super cold weather in Jan and Feb but this year will tell. Before I bought it I called the company that makes them and got a lot of info from them also

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I bought the Ion 8" auger last year and couldn't be happier with it. I wear a little larger coat and keep the battery in the inside pocket when I'm not using the auger. I don't sit in one spot for long if the fish are not there and it will drill through 2 ft. of ice for the entire day. Its light weight and super quiet. Very happy with the Ion!
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Awesome responses guys. Thank you for your posts. Like I said, it is almost a certainty at this point that I'll be picking one up this season and I'll jump back on this thread to let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:31 PM »
you only get so many charges on a battery and then bam, you have to buy a new one

did you price out a new battery or extra batteries and the price(s) are ok with you

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Yeah, prices on new batteries are relatively steep, but assuming the battery does last a few years and the overall trend in gas prices it won't be a wash on cost, but pretty darn close (probably wishful thinking on my part  ;) ).

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Been looking a tthe IONs.  I have an IceGator now and I'm looking to shave some weight.  Never regretted going from gas to battery.  Never a mess and the smell of gas and exhaust on ya all day.  I can justify the cost (whatever it is) for an electric auger no matter what it is.  @)  I use a 6" Finbore Micro hand auger until it starts bothering my shoulders then it's the 8" Nils on the Gator; usually at about 10-12" of ice.

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Been looking a tthe IONs.  I have an IceGator now and I'm looking to shave some weight.  Never regretted going from gas to battery.  Never a mess and the smell of gas and exhaust on ya all day.  I can justify the cost (whatever it is) for an electric auger no matter what it is.  @)  I use a 6" Finbore Micro hand auger until it starts bothering my shoulders then it's the 8" Nils on the Gator; usually at about 10-12" of ice.
I would recomend getting the litium 29v pack for your gator. That will cut your gator to 17lbs. Also will give you twice. The capacity, and 50 more rpms or so..if you have a gator, you will be very displeased with a ion. the cost is 250.00 shipped..i have never been able to kill my gator..never!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I would recomend getting the litium 29v pack for your gator. That will cut your gator to 17lbs. Also will give you twice. The capacity, and 50 more rpms or so..if you have a gator, you will be very displeased with a ion. the cost is 250.00 shipped..i have never been able to kill my gator..never!!
Already have the lithium pac. Still the powerhead is 22.5 lbs. And the 8" nils is another 8 lbs. So still at 30 lbs.  :-\

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I have the Ice Gator with the li-ion bat. and its a power house. And it has been in the coldest weather all day and still performs perfectly. Dont have to carry a extra battery or keep it warm in my pocket. I have used the Gator next to the ion and the ion owner was ready to switch after comparing. As far as cordless drills go...Keep them and there extra batteries in the tool box where they belong. I think if they were so great every power auger manufacturer out there would have one claiming it to be the best. But I dont see any out there... Jmo
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:36 AM »
I have the Ice Gator with the li-ion bat. and its a power house. And it has been in the coldest weather all day and still performs perfectly. Dont have to carry a extra battery or keep it warm in my pocket. I have used the Gator next to the ion and the ion owner was ready to switch after comparing. As far as cordless drills go...Keep them and there extra batteries in the tool box where they belong. I think if they were so great every power auger manufacturer out there would have one claiming it to be the best. But I dont see any out there... Jmo

How's the Ice Gator on weight? And do you buy the powerhead and use your current auger shaft & blades?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:21 AM »
How's the Ice Gator on weight? And do you buy the powerhead and use your current auger shaft & blades?

You got it.  IG sells only the powerhead.  Get the Lithium Ion head.  The weight, with the lithium battery pack, is 22.5 lbs.  I use a Nils 8" auger and it is another 8 lbs.  So 30.5 lbs. total.  IG provides an adaptor for the auger of your choice with the powerhead.
It's one heck of a unit and I have never run the battery down in a day of fishing.
From what I've read on here, it outperforms the ION hands down.  I guess I'm sticking with the 30 lbs. of auger.  If my back gives out, I'll have bring my wife  :woot:

Offline engineeredtofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:32 AM »
You got it.  IG sells only the powerhead.  Get the Lithium Ion head.  The weight, with the lithium battery pack, is 22.5 lbs.  I use a Nils 8" auger and it is another 8 lbs.  So 30.5 lbs. total.  IG provides an adaptor for the auger of your choice with the powerhead.
It's one heck of a unit and I have never run the battery down in a day of fishing.
From what I've read on here, it outperforms the ION hands down.  I guess I'm sticking with the 30 lbs. of auger.  If my back gives out, I'll have bring my wife  :woot:

HAHAH Desperate times call for desperate measures. I just checked out a couple youtube videos and the Gator powerhead appears to just chew past the Ion...What is the overall battery life like/charge time? Looks like a way bigger powerpack. Ion quotes 40 holes in 24" of ice while IG quotes 60 holes through 28"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2013, 12:35 PM »
HAHAH Desperate times call for desperate measures. I just checked out a couple youtube videos and the Gator powerhead appears to just chew past the Ion...What is the overall battery life like/charge time? Looks like a way bigger powerpack. Ion quotes 40 holes in 24" of ice while IG quotes 60 holes through 28"
Well, last year I did more than 60 holes in 14" and got tired of it - gave up.  The battery gave no indication of slowing down.  I take it home and put it on the charger till the next morning so I really don't how long it takes to charge.  This is all with a good 8" Nils auger.

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2013, 02:07 PM »
i have both the litho and the lead acid batteries..i have drilled with 3 guys 18" on higgins, never killdd it. nothing will even compare..my gator with lead acid is the same weight as a jiffy...i can drill 3 holes while hes pulling his...ive had problems with the first gator, and cust service..but i still wont even think about another way to drill ice...i prefer a 7" lazer..flight. i have no need 4 an 8". but it is nice to have flight versatilty you cant find with other brands...now for first ice, you cant beat a cordless drill...4" or more im bringin the gator...

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:03 PM »
 I have a 6 inch lazer on my ice gator and when I was playing with it the first time I made 20 or so holes thru 20 + inches of ice with no slow down at all. I would guess mine weights about the same as the Eskomo that I had and I have the lithium bat. The instructions say to charge them each month but mine has never went done. After I made the hole when I went home it was fully charged in 15 or 20 min. There is a light on the charger to let you know when it is charged. I bought an 8 inch auger for it this summer but will only use it when I go smelt fishing. You know you need that big of a hole to pull smelt thru ;D The larger hole makes it easier to see them. Maybe I can get to use it in the next couple of week ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.