The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Model 30 Carb Rebuild - How do you get at the thing?  (Read 10625 times)

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On the edge of genius and mayhem!
I got the carb rebuild kit for my Jiffy Model 30 (approx 22 years old). 

Do people remove the carbs from these to rebuild them?  If so, how do you get at it?  It looks like the throttle linkage is attached to the engine cover.

Any tips?

Thanks!
It's only weird if it doesn't work.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Model 30 Carb Rebuild - How do you get at the thing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2013, 05:18 PM »
I took the throttle linkage off to get to it.

DO NOT DO THAT without taking pictures on how it was on there.  I still havn't figured out how to put it back together.  I'll probably bring it to a small engine repair place soon....
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:16 PM »
just take a pic if you're going to take it apart.  You can rebuild it without taking the whole throttle linkage apart, it's up to you. 

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Sounds like you guys need to find someone that knows what they are doing. I know everyone has to start somewhere but if you know someone that can assist you in person.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2013, 09:07 AM »
*POOF*
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2013, 09:40 AM »
WELL??!!! Did anyone get their carb fixed??
People are fast to ask and slow to thank. I used to frequent Computer tech boards and help people get their PC's running and after a few years of that I found it wasn't worth it. I now only fix friend and families Computers.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:43 AM »
People are fast to ask and slow to thank. I used to frequent Computer tech boards and help people get their PC's running and after a few years of that I found it wasn't worth it. I now only fix friend and families Computers.

You sure are right on that, lefty. And most of it can be found online with just a little bit of effort, too. I may have to go into "online retirement" soon.    ;D

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:22 PM »
I didn't.

I brought mine into the shop, the frustration was to much for me so I tucked my tail between my legs and admitted defeat. I'm alright with it, it'll be better than what I could have done and cost $50 or less. Well worth it to me!

You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2013, 02:02 AM »

Since no one seemed to be interested in the tech help, the post has been *POOFED*.  GONE!!!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2013, 05:37 PM »
No reason to erase good info.  But seriously, I doubt there is a single topic/issue in regards to the model 30 and pretty much any other auger that has been around for more than just a year or so that hasn't been beaten like a dead horse on this forum.  Search is your friend!!! 

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Since no one seemed to be interested in the tech help, the post has been *POOFED*.  GONE!!!

Just because someone hasn't responded to your post don't mean you haven't helped them. I personally am glad you are on here helping people out.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Just because someone hasn't responded to your post don't mean you haven't helped them. I personally am glad you are on here helping people out.

Thank you, Mr. jchunter. You are a true gentleman.   :clap: Sometimes one gets tired of trying to help people out, without so much as an acknowledgement. Many years of engine work and certification doesn't come cheap, believe me, and it's nice to hear from people like you. And...your first sentence says it all. Sometimes you need a view from the other side. I'm keeping that one in mind.  :)

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Your welcome Rebelss. It's guys like you and your willingness to help, that make this site so great. I would bet that your knowledge and willingness too share that knowledge has helped out as many people if not more than the smitty sled has helped out all of us.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Don't think I'd go near THAT far, jc, but thank you. Lots and lots of great folks on this site, ready to help in a minute. I for one, appreciate all of it, and have learned a LOT from everyone.
Just havin' piece of that great Shullsburg Wisconsin cheese right now....Yum.  ;)2  ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2013, 03:45 PM »
Rebless, I just want to thank you for the Carb info and manual for the model 30 Jiffy. I snagged up both of those for a friend of mine that lives 250 miles away. I should have thanked you sooner but like the friend I got them for says: I don't appreciate things. He on the other hand thanked me right off for the info. SO thanks from him as well.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:04 PM »
OK, OK, stop it you guys, you're embarrassing me!!!  :-[  And, you're always welcome!!! I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy helping folks! I'm sure I don't say it enough myself...sometimes you get used to all the great info available on this site, and where it comes from.  ;D

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2013, 03:38 PM »

Unfortunately it looks like I missed some information by a few days here.  I understand the frustration that people can feel if they post something helpful without acknowledgement back from the requester.  These types of threads can be very helpful in trying to get up to speed on a lot of common questions about these tools.

I apologize for not checking up on this thread more, I ended up with to many irons in the fire with some work and school projects that I should have wrapped up before digging into this one.

Again, thanks all for the help you provide to all on this board!

Peter

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Found a few minutes to tinker with this thing tonight.  The carb lives under the fuel tank.  I drained it out, and lifted it off.  The tank was held in place with a couple of clips, and slides right off.

It looks like there is only one spring that connects the throtle lever to the carb itself.  I'll have to be real carefull pulling that one off.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Thank you!  That guide looks like a keeper.  I'll have to take a closer look at the thing here tonight to see if it is an 'F' type, would have never thought to look for something like that on my own.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Thank you!  That guide looks like a keeper.  I'll have to take a closer look at the thing here tonight to see if it is an 'F' type, would have never thought to look for something like that on my own.

Good luck!!! Hope it helps!  ;D

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »
this is a 2 part video that shows you how to take those carbs apart and replace the diaphragm and the seal. doesnt show you everything but most of what you need for the carb. also keep that guide it will help you too. just did my carb on the model 30 and its simple, just remember to remember how it goes back together 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.