Author Topic: Buffalo pound lake  (Read 63618 times)

Offline jack alope

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buffalo pound lake
« Reply #270 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:46 PM »
thanks guys, I ended up heading out just with truck only around 2:30 fished off loneys for about an hour with not much action a couple bites but not much marking on the flasher. packed up and moved across the lake  and hooked perch non stop for the last hour of the day. also landed 1 real nice 12" +.  Ill be taking the shack out early in the am. where does the big pack get on down to the east? i got on last year at a road called (booze bay i think) but it wasn't a great access and you probably wouldn't want to drag the shack down it

Offline bobcat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slip it in the hole
« Reply #271 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Did anybody here about a truck going thru at sand point?
money does grow on trees that why banks have branches

Offline jack alope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:47 PM »
No, but there is a heave down that way

Offline DerbyDriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Truck broke the ice near sand point this afternoon

Offline jack alope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #274 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:00 PM »
[img]/var/folders/xw/4sjms6x10t547wv490pr52dc0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_0471.PNG/img]

Offline jack alope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #275 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:04 PM »
guess that didn't work but i was trying to post a photo buddy sent to me  early 2000's gmc pulling a shack that had lynbrook on the front

Offline bobcat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slip it in the hole
« Reply #276 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:04 PM »
between sand point and camp compernam  3 trucks broke thru today

Offline Jmiverson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:25 PM »
between sand point and camp compernam  3 trucks broke thru today

Not cool. Heave seperated? Spring or thermal?

Offline Ken m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #278 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:40 PM »
CBC says 4 trucks have gone through!!! No injuries reported! Anyone know where? http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/saskatchewan/topstories/four-vehicles-fall-through-ice-at-buffalo-pound-lake-1.2877898

Offline DerbyDriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #279 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Hoping to get out this weekend but now I think I might just walk out. I don't wanna go for a swim.

Offline robson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Ya i hear you. 4 Trucks broke through i heard on the news. Ive been out a few times with my truck. I'm not certain all areas where they broke through. Sand point is one area, i was driving out there last week. 16-17 inches of ice. Sounds like some areas are a lot thinner. I probably will take the quad or walk out as well. Better to be safe. Good luck.

Offline DerbyDriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #281 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Yeah it is kinda crazy and strange. I measured 16 inches of ice when I was out last weekend. You wouldn't think trucks would be breaking through with that amount of ice. Just a poor freeze this year i guess. Don't wanna be the guy who finds the weak spots.

Offline robson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #282 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:10 PM »
For sure.Buffalo is the first lake to lock up around this area. Every year is different mind you. I heard with the large amounts of water this year there are some springs running? i don't know. A lot of vehicles have been driving. I know i heard some large cracks just sitting fishing. The causeway looks to be more open then a few weeks ago. Ya must be thin week spots in areas. The ice seemed a bit soft when i drilled a few areas the first few inches of the hole. White coloration about 6-8 inches from the top then clear ice beneath that. Ya i wont be driving around now. Makes me wonder. With colder temps in the new year should be solid all around. I will just walk on or take the quad. This is a strange year, i never heard of trucks breaking through this time of year on that lake. But the temps have been above average. Makes me wonder how thick the ice was when the trucks broke through? good luck.

Offline jack alope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:35 PM »
this confuses me a bit. id like some more info on where all they happened. A couple of weeks ago i brought the quad on before i took the truck and did see the heave at sandpoint . it was quite noticeable and yellowish in colour.  there has been so much activity on the lake last weekend why did this all happen on a lower traffic weekday?  I am really torn as i took my shack back to town sunday and really wanted to spend time out there in the next week.

Offline bobcat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slip it in the hole
« Reply #284 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I was out today by buffalo view ice was good so was the fishing seen other trucks driving around 16-17" ???

Offline robson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Dec 22, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Ya it would be good to find out the facts of where these vehicles fell through. I seen one pic on discovery moose jaw of the one truck that showed the front end broke through. Looked like around the middle of the lake maybe sand point area? as far as the other 3 vehicles I dont know? maybe someone knows more info that can share would be appreciated.  I may head out and try going strait out 100 yards or so with my truck. I was on the same spot about 2 weeks ago. I dont drive around, just get to the spot and fish. I also wonder if these vehicles were parked together that fell in? anyway ir someone knows what happened would be great to share on here. Good luck out there.

Offline js6145

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #286 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:28 PM »
was thinking of going fishing on boxing day. Was wondering how the fishing is and where?

Offline bobcat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slip it in the hole
« Reply #287 on: Dec 23, 2014, 06:17 PM »
we were out today north side at park view and lots of keepers and  a few eyes we are going out xmas day

Offline bobcat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slip it in the hole
« Reply #288 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:53 PM »
did any body go fishing today how was it we were slow and a lot of gators

Offline gumbys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #289 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:49 PM »
NOT TO BAD OF FISHING DAY, CAUGHT 10 PERCH OR SO, MOST WERE KEEPERS AND ONE WALLY, ICE IS GOOD 15IN OR SO, JUST WATCH OUT FOR A FEW ICE HEAVES AROUND SANDPOINT AND CAMP CAPERNAUM, PEOPLE DRIVING ALL OVER NOW ;D

Offline Grump

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"
« Reply #290 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:31 AM »
First day out, on the ice at 1:30PM, off at 4:00 with 10 perch...six had the neck hump, so nice size....kept getting bigger as the day went on.  Tried for walleye but just kept getting bigger perch!!  Nice problem to have!

Offline ozzy1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #291 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:14 AM »
great day on the pound yesterday. my 7 yr old son an I couldn't keep the perch off the hook. We caught over 55 and kept 15 jumbos and 1 7 lb pike. good day to keep him interested

Offline daustman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #292 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:00 AM »
great day on the pound yesterday. my 7 yr old son an I couldn't keep the perch off the hook. We caught over 55 and kept 15 jumbos and 1 7 lb pike. good day to keep him interested

I've never fished Buffalo Pound and am only familiar with the Provincial Park area.  Where are people catching all these jumbo perch?

Thanks.

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Just about anywere on the lake you can catch perch and decent ones to when the bite is on it's usally good all over
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Offline daustman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #294 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Just about anywere on the lake you can catch perch and decent ones to when the bite is on it's usally good all over

Thanks.  Do most of the subdivisions/resort villages have easy access to drive on?  Thinking of trying to get on somewhere around Sandpoint.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:48 PM »
I hear there's a truck half through the ice near the causeway?

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #296 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Yes there is a launch at sand point resort and at sunvalley there both pretty easy to find when going into sunvalley turn left at the bottom of hill about a 1 1/2 km loneys boat launch
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #297 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:35 PM »
I heard the truck was trying to cross the heav at sandpoint
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:50 PM »
thinking about heading out tomorrow are there any bad heaves or open spots other then the causeway?

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:09 PM »
No not really few track just try drive were other ppl have but with this snow that will be hard to seen. I seen a pic of the truck that was trying to cross the heav no clue y some would try to cross it. In my life I've never seen a heav that big on buffalo
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.