Author Topic: Ratso V.S. Shimpo  (Read 4483 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ratso V.S. Shimpo
« on: Oct 24, 2013, 08:09 PM »
What works better?  What colors?  I have had awesome success with pink jig heads and pearl/white twister tails for crappie and gill during the spring and summer should I replicate that color combo when ice fishing?  I also noticed some precious metal color jig heads for the ratso and shimpo anyone had success? 

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ratso V.S. Shimpo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:02 PM »
I've personally liked (and had better success with) the ratso over the shrimpo.  I mainly fish the ratso for crappies with the pink head white body or the glow head/pink glow body.

My brother likes the shrimpo when he fishes gills (black, red, orange, and pink) but I struggle with them
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Whichever works, basically the same bait just ones vertical the other horizontal. Try bending eithers hook shaft so the plastic runs 45* down like many underwater critters hang(#1), horizontal is similar to a minnow(#2) with vertical being my least favorite angle on anything(#4). 45* up is #3

Offline jcindiana

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2013, 12:47 PM »
I like the ratso a little better white glow.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I have had great success with both. The Ratso does seem to show up a little better on the flasher.
I keep a few of each on hand and if one isn't working on that particular day I switch to the other or something else entirely.
I wouldn't say either one of theose 2 is better than the other.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2013, 06:26 AM »
I don't use ether anymore. I use a plain wedgie tail. Mix your horizontal jigs on a couple of different rods. Add what ever color tail you want.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:00 AM »
I prefer the ratso with white head pink body for trout, especially when the bit is slow.

Offline bigrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:32 AM »
black ratso works great on gills for me.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Im a ratso guy, but do carry both. I like the pink or glow heads and white bodies

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I prefer the micro plastics from J&S Custom Jigs. Many colors/sizes and styles to choose from and easy to swap to. I'm excited to get the new VersaMite below the ice this year.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:50 AM »
I am going to go with size 8 and 10 pink head ratso with white body plus extra plastic bodies in each respective size, I also am probably going to get some Glow white 8 and 10 heads with their respective bodies and some gill pills or diamond jigs as well.

Offline Pines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Ratso. Pink with blue body.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:31 AM »
I have fished the ratso for years its a really good jig there are times it flat out out produces live bait for me.gills just cant stay off them and I have got some real nice crappie on them don't do as good on shrimp got to agree with swift on that.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:14 PM »
I have much more luck with the rasto on crappies, and better luck with the shrimpo on gills. #10 is my favorite for most situations, #8 for targeting big crappies and bass, #6 for open water crappies and bass through the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline carpslayer93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:31 PM »
I am going to go with size 8 and 10 pink head ratso with white body plus extra plastic bodies in each respective size, I also am probably going to get some Glow white 8 and 10 heads with their respective bodies and some gill pills or diamond jigs as well.
scratch the diamond jigs and get some good tungsten jigs and use the said plastics on them and you'll be amazed! I'm also a ratso guy glow/black/perl & chartreuse are my favorite jig heads with white/black& smoke color bodies! Any of u guys use the ants?
Tight lines...fish on!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I have sometimes that slow fall is the ticket but the ratso has been a more consistant producer by far

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:39 PM »
scratch the diamond jigs and get some good tungsten jigs and use the said plastics on them and you'll be amazed! I'm also a ratso guy glow/black/perl & chartreuse are my favorite jig heads with white/black& smoke color bodies! Any of u guys use the ants?
The ants are awesome when the bite gets tough. Definitely get some when you can.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.