The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Clam outdoors power-drill auger conversion kit  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Damurpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love you red solo cup!
Ice fishin' is for guy's who wanna sit around and drink beer all day cuz our wives won't let us do it at home!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam outdoors power-drill auger conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Its new this year. Youll need a nice drill to go with it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2013, 05:37 PM »
No gearbox. Just a bearing with a stub shaft. Like BaitBucket said you are going to need a good drill.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2013, 06:24 PM »
I think you'll need to find out for yourself, and I hear an 18 volt Milwaukee cordless drill works best. I use hand power. These guns can out drill any power auger  ;)

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:15 PM »
As an electrician I have used many different kinds of cordless drills and dont think any of them are capable of drilling a lot of 6" or 8" holes without destroying them. Not to mention that unless you have a few batteries you might not get many holes drilled because batteries die pretty quick in the cold.  I own a Milwaukee 18volt drill and yes it is a great drill but I would not use it as an auger it wasn't designed for that purpose.  Also after you buy a drill, the adapter, an extra battery or 2 you can probably find a used auger on craigslist for the same cost if not less. If you want an auger that is not gas go with an Ion or one of the propane ones.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I bought a new Milwaukee 36 volt hand drill 3 years ago and with one of the fat batteries it will drill all day long.Here in WNY our ice is usually anywheres from 5-12 inches and I used to carry an extra battery but don't anymore.I usually run and gun and drilling 15-30 holes doesn't even slow this drill  down. Just have to be careful as its one powerful drill so hang on tight.I always use the handle and brace it against my leg and have had no problems with it.I carry 2 Strikemaster auger bits for it, a 5 inch and my 8 inch.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I bought a new Milwaukee 36 volt hand drill 3 years ago and with one of the fat batteries it will drill all day long.Here in WNY our ice is usually anywheres from 5-12 inches and I used to carry an extra battery but don't anymore.I usually run and gun and drilling 15-30 holes doesn't even slow this drill  down. Just have to be careful as its one powerful drill so hang on tight.I always use the handle and brace it against my leg and have had no problems with it.I carry 2 Strikemaster auger bits for it, a 5 inch and my 8 inch.

Does Milwaukee make a 36volt drill?  I thought they only went to 28volts. The cold doent kill your battery?  When I use my 18v outside during the winter my battery dies quick.  Any how the 28v drill kit is $399 at Home Depot and then you spend $60 on the adapter and you still need to buy the auger. Why not go with the ion at that point?  Seems like way more work than necessary to make an auger.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2013, 06:08 AM »
The Ion is a 40v Li-Ion battery, and comes with an 8in auger and an adapter that will fit alot of hand augers.
All for $499

To get this setup your looking at around $500 for a 36v Li-Ion Drill and $60 for this clam gadget.
Im not going to include the price of a hand auger as most people all ready own an auger.

So price wise its not a whole lot different $500 vs $560

The real difference is That with the Clam system you also still have this VERY nice cordless drill you can use year round. While the Ion sits in the basement.

Its hard to beat dual purpose and year long use for an addition $60. And im sure if you search around for the drill you can get it even closer in price.

All this being said, I own an Ion. But i was heavily leaning towards using a drill. Till the Ion went on sale for 25% off near the end of the season. And only cost 375.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ffgrizzley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Only got out twice last year and I used an 18v Rigid with the high torque setting.  I took two batteries in a soft sided lunch sack with a couple of foot warmers stuck inside.  I use one of the less expensive adapters to hook up to an 8 inch and I use a lanyard with a caribiner snapped to a d-ring on my coat.  Worked ok, though I used both batteries through the day and I didn't drill a lot of holes.  Problem was the battery packs are made up of a lot of AA batteries and two of the AA's in one and one in the other were bad so I didn't have a full charge.  Place down on Route 9 will rebuilt the packs and I expect better time out of them this year.  Now if I can just get out more!   >:(

Offline Beebs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Danny, I'll make an adapter for you, just get a good drill. I can pound out 25 holes on one battery. I wont use the power auger until the ice gets to be 18"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.