The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils power auger  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Nils power auger
« on: Oct 10, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I see that Nils is now offering not only their regular sized Tanaka (27cc) but the next sized up engine (35cc) as an option this year if so desired.  Can't imagine what that machine would be like. 
Chris Raymond

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Nils power auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2013, 08:26 AM »
mine cuts like crazy as is!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I have the larger Tanaka, it cuts like crazy, have it hooked up to a strikemaster flyte, raced my cousins  eskimo z71, not even close, the tanaka killed it!!!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:17 AM »
How are Nils augers for reopening holes? I'm thinking about a new auger this year and it will be a Nils, Strikemaster/Honda, Jiffy Pro 4 Lite or Jiffy 4 G Lite. I kind of think Jiffy would be the choice for reopening holes.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:42 AM »
How are Nils augers for reopening holes? I'm thinking about a new auger this year and it will be a Nils, Strikemaster/Honda, Jiffy Pro 4 Lite or Jiffy 4 G Lite. I kind of think Jiffy would be the choice for reopening holes.

I open old holes with mine all the time , 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Thanks.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I know this should be in the auger section but this time of year there is more traffic in here. Anywho, I'm looking at the Nils powerhead. This year I have cabelas points to burn so figured why not get a new auger. Originally I had my mind up on either a 4 stroke or propane. Then I stumbled across this Nils that weighs in at 22lbs in the 8in model. It is however a 2 stroke. I kind of had my mind made up on the Honda Lite 4 stroke and now I'm struggling again on making a decision. Anyone have any experiece comparing the honda lite and a nils (tanaka)? Was really looking forward to the quietness of a 4 stroke but read some real good things about the Nils. Not to mention the powerhead has a 7 year warranty. please help

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Most propane augers are 4 strokes as well. I assume you were talking about a JIffy pro 4? The nils is probably the fastest drilling auger you can buy.
-Tom

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Most propane augers are 4 strokes as well. I assume you were talking about a JIffy pro 4? The nils is probably the fastest drilling auger you can buy.
yes i was considering the jiffy pro 4 lite actually just because im looking for a light auger. Yes the propane are 4 stroke. The one thing i am reading as a 'con' of the nils is having to send the head in to sharpen blades instead of just bolting on a new blade like my jiffy model 30. That sounds like kind of a pain.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:33 AM »
ALL propane augers are 4 strokes!! Hard to mix oil with the propane unless you would have oil injection that is!! Not as easy as running 2 stroke gas in a 4 stroke!! ;) Sorry but I just had to say it!! lol..... :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I looked at the Nils last winter and ended up with a Strikemaster Strikelite II with the Honda engine. It weighs one pound more and I have no plans of entering entering any speed drilling competitions. I ice fish to enjoy the day how fast my auger can go through the ice isn't a factor for me. I do drill holes for others after watching them spend five minutes gnawing a hole through the ice with dull blades.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2014, 11:57 AM »
yes i was considering the jiffy pro 4 lite actually just because im looking for a light auger. Yes the propane are 4 stroke. The one thing i am reading as a 'con' of the nils is having to send the head in to sharpen blades instead of just bolting on a new blade like my jiffy model 30. That sounds like kind of a pain.

FWIW, I used my power Nils for 5 seasons before resharpening.  During the season, Frank's sharpening turn around was less than four days...he's super fast.  If the downtime is of a significant concern, buy a second cutting head...not cheap, but it solves that problem. 
Chris Raymond

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2014, 02:05 PM »

I know speed isn't everything but I think it's fair to say there is a noticeable difference in the two.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2014, 02:18 PM »
I have an 8" Nils with the powerhead. It is super lightweight, starts right up every time and cuts like butter! It is an awesome auger and I am 100% satisfied!

Oh yeah! If use watch the video, notice how tall the Nils is. If you are vertically challenged like myself(5'-6"), ask for the 42" shaft, it fits much better than the 48" shaft! Just in case you go with the Nils...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I have an 8" Nils with the powerhead. It is super lightweight, starts right up every time and cuts like butter! It is an awesome auger and I am 100% satisfied!

Oh yeah! If use watch the video, notice how tall the Nils is. If you are vertically challenged like myself(5'-6"), ask for the 42" shaft, it fits much better than the 48" shaft! Just in case you go with the Nils...
Yeah i am more interested in the 42in. Here in nebraska ice dont get much more than 15in. Problem is i want to get the auger thru cabelas since i have points saved up and they dont seem to offer the shorter version. Any idea if they can offer it somehow even though its not online?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Yeah i am more interested in the 42in. Here in nebraska ice dont get much more than 15in. Problem is i want to get the auger thru cabelas since i have points saved up and they dont seem to offer the shorter version. Any idea if they can offer it somehow even though its not online?

Ask them, I asked the Red Rock store and it was no problem.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2014, 07:24 PM »
I love my Nils and the Tanaka engine is industrial motor. Starts awesome and is very light. No oil changes and no smoke with amsoil. They sell that pouch for mixing with 1 gal gas . Just use a little less gas if you want 80:1 which is what I run. The nils is such an effective unit the weight of the power head does all the work to get blades ripping through the ice. Also very easy on gas because of that. Can't believe how many holes you can drill on a tank. I currently run a 6" but will be buying an 8" also. All nils come with hand crank too so if you choose you can hand drill. I have yet to sharpen my blades not needed. Frank will be my go to for that. One other tip a mora blue hand auger rips on this motor ...
Fishin red lines

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2014, 11:53 PM »
With 15" of ice, they will all cut about the same speed. IMO, unless you are cutting dozens of holes, you would be better off with the nils hand auger. Its much lighter, can be faster, and is as reliable as you are.  ;D  As far as the noise comparison, I have only heard from a distance. The Nils and Strikemaster honda lite are about equally as loud. As I always say, oil is a non issue comparing the two. Weight is about the same, but consider that the strikemaster has a polymer gear case, and If I'm not mistaken, some kind of lightweight auger (its not metal). Both auger bits are known for cutting pretty fast. The strikemaster has a much lower gear ratio, and thus cuts slower. Again 15" is hardly anything, so you are talking about a difference of a second between the two. I have no idea how the honda lite is on gas. I know a few people who have quoted up to 250 holes on a tank of gas for the nils.
-Tom

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:50 AM »
With 15" of ice, they will all cut about the same speed. IMO, unless you are cutting dozens of holes, you would be better off with the nils hand auger. Its much lighter, can be faster, and is as reliable as you are.  ;D  As far as the noise comparison, I have only heard from a distance. The Nils and Strikemaster honda lite are about equally as loud. As I always say, oil is a non issue comparing the two. Weight is about the same, but consider that the strikemaster has a polymer gear case, and If I'm not mistaken, some kind of lightweight auger (its not metal). Both auger bits are known for cutting pretty fast. The strikemaster has a much lower gear ratio, and thus cuts slower. Again 15" is hardly anything, so you are talking about a difference of a second between the two. I have no idea how the honda lite is on gas. I know a few people who have quoted up to 250 holes on a tank of gas for the nils.

ive timed my nils hand auger. 2 holes in less than a minute in 14 inches of ice without a sweat ;D i still like my tanaka power head better as i like to punch 30 holes then setup, its more like 3 to 4 seconds a hole at that thickness

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Been using the Nils for 5 years. It is a great auger,not the cheapest. For 15 inches of ice it's kindof over kill. An Ion or Clam plate set up might be the way to go if you want a power auger or a Nils hand auger.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Yeah 15in is too bad and it probably is overkill but oh well, have cabelas points to blow. Do take a couple trips up to Webster so come across some thick ice up there. Just called cabelas and they dont seem to think they can get me the auger in a 42in which is a bummer. I really don't think I need/want the 48in?? keep the info coming. thanks guys

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2014, 08:04 AM »

This is especially true if you have the larger (35 cc) powerhead as the coupler is much longer than the 27cc model. My 350 with a 42" auger puts the handles 58 inches off the ice. You can see a picture here:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=291187.msg3047483#msg3047483

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Just called Nils and talked to a guy for 10 minutes about the tanaka/nils setup. Me being 5'10 he recommended the 48in shaft. Still makes me a bit hesitant but I figure worse case if i don't like it i can buy a mora or something next year to put on it and keep the nils for hand auger. I must say the guy was super nice and they just earned my business. He did also mention a guy can buy a refurbished auger head as a spare that is back to factory specs, etc for half the price (around $50) instead of $100 for a new one. Love that idea as well. He said he has had his 270 tanaka head for 9 yrs and has not done anything but change the plug on that engine. Heck, said he doesn't even bother draining the gas. ha. now thats awesome.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Just called Nils and talked to a guy for 10 minutes about the tanaka/nils setup. Me being 5'10 he recommended the 48in shaft. Still makes me a bit hesitant but I figure worse case if i don't like it i can buy a mora or something next year to put on it and keep the nils for hand auger. I must say the guy was super nice and they just earned my business. He did also mention a guy can buy a refurbished auger head as a spare that is back to factory specs, etc for half the price (around $50) instead of $100 for a new one. Love that idea as well. He said he has had his 270 tanaka head for 9 yrs and has not done anything but change the plug on that engine. Heck, said he doesn't even bother draining the gas. ha. now thats awesome.

dont worry about the longer length, you wont notice it once you start using it, the nils takes no effort to drill with, much different than the chipper blades. theres also a shaft lock so you can start it down low like a weedwacker

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:55 AM »
yeah im sure you are correct. just hard for me to get over the fact the auger looks like its waaayyy up there when watching some videos. heck, wonder if it will fit in the back of my truck without putting at an angle? have a 13 f150 crewcab. not the longer 5.5 box either. if this auger alone is 48in it may not fit without putting in at an angle, which would stink!

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:54 AM »
I'm 5'9 and have the 48. I didn't care for it and got the 42, much better. You have to remember the handles on the Nils Power head are at the top of the motor unlike Strikemaster or Eskimo and Jiffy so you are adding another 5 to 6 inches to the auger.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I'm 5'9 and have the 48. I didn't care for it and got the 42, much better. You have to remember the handles on the Nils Power head are at the top of the motor unlike Strikemaster or Eskimo and Jiffy so you are adding another 5 to 6 inches to the auger.
yes, this is my concern as well. Nils said the 42in will not be available for a month. I may just wait. i just really don't think i need that long of an auger. heck a 48in plus the head will put the auger handles about even with my eyes? i may have to go measure my old model 30 just to get an idea. like someone mentioned the handle system is different on the tanaka so will consider that when measuring.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:30 PM »
As I have said get the powerhead and use the auger of your choice. If its a Nils get a 42 hand and use that. I have one. But I havn't used the Nils in 2 years. The Mora on that power head is a killer setup. I have a 6-7-8 inch Mora and one Power head.

The auger on the left is an echo drill that I made over to an auger. On the right is my Tanaka.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2014, 04:09 PM »

what was the number you called? I need a 2nd cutting head and like 50 bucks a lot more than 100.
The nils works awesome I only have the hand auger in 8 inch and last year I was drilling through 20-25 inches of ice with 7 holes every time we set up

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Number is 978 386 7707. The 8in is $65 plus shipping so not as good a deal as I thought. If I get just the power head where will a guy find the adapters for the nils and mora augers? I'd like to get both adapters if possible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.