Author Topic: How important is a nice fishing rod  (Read 9417 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
How important is a nice fishing rod
« on: Oct 10, 2013, 09:31 AM »
HI all. So I've been reading this forum for couple years now and am to the point where i cant help but ask a stupid question. How important is it to the "average" ice fisherman to have an expensive rod? I looked at Thorne Bros and they have rods for like $100 and up. I'm struggling on just how much better they are for the "average" Joe like me? What are the biggest benefits I would see? I have about 16 combos now ranging from $20/combo to $50/combo and to be honest cant see a ton of diff between most other than a couple nicer reels that I have. So there is the stupid questions for the day. Now unload with info and tell me if/why these expensive rods will help me catch more fish. By the way I spend most of my ice fishing days fishing in 10-20ft of water for gills, crappie, bass, and perch. Thanks all

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: How important is a nice fishing rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I find a big difference between a cheap rod and a more expensive rod, sensitivity being the biggest difference with weight and quality following right behind. That being said, the difference between a mid-range rod and a higher end rod start to get MUCH finer IMHO... The other thing that you need to look at is your "style" of fishing and what rod matches that the best; bite indicators, how you like to hold your rod, soft tip, stiff tip, in shanty, out side (length) and any other of the many this that only you  will know...

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2013, 09:54 AM »
The advanced fisherman is going to tell you that it is very important and I would have to say that it does matter, not necessarily in price but in quality. It's the small things that a higher end rod will have that maybe a lower end doesn't, such as maybe the higher end rod doesn't have any jagged edges on a guide where maybe a mass produced low end might have a small sharp edge on the guide and that results in your line breaking.  That is just one of many examples but you just have to weigh the risk, are you willing to risk having a rod malfunction while you have that trophy walleye on or not?

I think that the high quality reel is more important than the rod so I always get the high end reels. 

when I look at purchasing a rod I tend to look at the warranty/return policy first because I tend to break a lot of rods while transporting them.  I will by the highest end Scheels brand rod in the midwest because they have a no questions asked return policy.  As long as you bring back the rod to them they will replace it with the same rod.  This is important to me because I know once I buy a rod I will never have to buy another one unless it gets stolen or lost.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I don't use expensive rods and the rods I do use are chosen according to what I want to fish for and how they feel in my hand. I'm sure there are differences in how you can feel bites and other things with a more expensive rod. Maybe I would catch more fish with more expensive rods, but I fish primarily for my own enjoyment and really don't need to bring many fish home. I figure if I can put 4 lb test line on a reel, tie a No Knot Snap on the end of the line and feel it with the rod I have in my hand when dropped I have a rod which is sensitive enough for my use. I also don't fish much more than 25' FOW and fishing deeper could make a difference also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to hear different opinions and thoughts. I am just having a tough time getting myself to spend that kind of money on a rod. I did get a Tica Cetus and Abu Cardinal reel last year and gosh are they nice compared to my cheaper reels. Most of my rods are 28in which is good for either in or out of the shack and i have a variety from M to UL. Just not sure it will be worth it to have $150 wrapped up into a high end rod and reel combo. However, that doesn't mean I don't want to try it  ::)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2013, 10:36 AM »
I have rods from a 30" which has such light action I don't need a spring bobber to a 26" light action. Most of mine are 24" ultralights and I have one 16" ultralight for use in my flipover which attaches to my ATV. I don't think any of my rods cost more than $20.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2013, 11:31 AM »
It is the most important part since in theory it is the only tool you HAVE to have.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2013, 12:24 PM »
I realize it is very important but I guess my question/s is as being the avg weekend warrior ice fisherman what do i need to look for to determine how great a particular rod is or is not? i seem to catch a fair amount of fish with my fairly cheap rods so trying to determine what to look for and the main difference one will notice if i decide to purchase an expensive one. Thanks!

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2013, 12:54 PM »
I have mostly Thirne Bros Power Noodles for my ice rods. I like the fact that they are made in Blaine Minnesota by a guy named Lonnie Murphy.  You can go in there, shake his hand and customize any rod you want.  I hade my PN's made 30" with recoil guides and a Pangish Sweetheart handle with the Tennessee flared butt put on.  Metallic Blue wrap with silver accent.  And my name is on it!  Ha!

Don't get me wrong.  You do not need to spend 100 dollars on an ice rod but when you fish a hard as me you learn what you like. 

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2013, 01:00 PM »
I would say, if you are happy with the fish you catch, enjoy getting on the ice, dont get frustrated by your equipment, then you should be happy with what you have.  If you get a small windfall and want to treat yourself to one of the 'nicer' rods, then do so, and you can tell if it matters to you.  I know of some folks who always have to have the latest and greatest because, they just have to have the latest and greatest.  Again, if it works for you.......Another option is to fish with someone who has one of the higher end set ups and see if they would let you try it out for an hour or so, and see what you think.....

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2013, 02:41 PM »
You can save yourself a lot of grief if you can get to a tackle store and actually handle a few of the rods they have.  I see you're from central Nebraska - I'm not sure what options you have for getting your hands on a variety of different offerings from various manufacturers.  I know, living in Utah, the selection is often limited.  I depend on mail order and the best descriptions that I can find on message boards like this one.  I wouldn't get too hung up on chasing the 'top end' rods for what you describe as a weekend warrior.  I golf sometimes, but I don't need custom Taylor-made clubs...
Get what you are comfortable with, both price and feel.  There are a lot of inexpensive rods on the market today that are total workhorses.  Brand bashing is a hobby w/ lots of people that frequent message boards but I have had excellent results with Berkley, HT, St. Croix, Jason Mitchell, and some no-name stuff I found in a clearance bin.  I have friends that use Thorne customs, Frabill, 13 fishing, and others.  They all seem to work pretty good too.  If I had to clean the stable today, I'd keep my St. Croix and my Jason Mitchells.  But for now, they all work pretty good - especially that Meatstick.  All of mine were under $25 when originally purchased. 
If I was relegated to mail-order only, I'd go w/ products from Clam (to include the Jason Mitchells); I've not gotten a product from them to date that wasn't at least worth the money I spent.
S.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2013, 02:49 PM »
It's subjective. One person might feel in order to drive comfortably to work every day that they need an Audi A6. Another guy is perfectly happy with a Toyota Yaris. Both of them will get to work though.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2013, 03:02 PM »
If you fish multiple species maybe you should consider getting 2 medium price or 3 cheap rods for the price of one expensive rod. A cheap light action rod is going to catch finicky panfish better than an expensive heavy duty rod and vice versa, get a variety. And when 4 lines per person is legal (in my state) and a few friends show up you can never have too many rods on hand!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I have caught a lot of fish through the ice.  Some weighed a few ounces, some were really huge!  Whether they use level wind, spinning, or single action reels, none of my rods cost more than $20. 

Some cost me nothing more than a tube of five minute epoxy, used to bond the tip of a broken fishing rod to a handle. Actually, one tube has done quite a few rods. :)

Looking forward to getting back out there again!
Ted

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Interesting topic and I think I fall in with the majority so far on their approach to buying rods.    The manufacturers are producing some quality rods at a reasonable price.   If you check out the late season clearance sales, a guy can pick up some of high end rods at good price.   Like mentioned above,  the most important thing is how it feels to the user.    For me, it's not about more stuff rather it's having more time to get out and use the equipment I have. 

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what got my mind going towards these expensive ones in the first place. Mostly curiousity?? Past few years I couldn't talk myself into spending $60/combo let alone $110 for just a rod. I don't have the option of handling one in a store unfortunately. I have always been the type to spend my money wisely and look for the best "value". Therefore I'm guessing I may have a hard time noticing much difference between a nice Jason Mitchell (for ex) and one of these high dollar ones?? I'm sure the die hard fisherman will tell me I'm full of crap but that where I go back to me asking the question if its worth it? Might just get two jason mitchell combos instead of one rod? Who knows, I just keep thinking about it and enjoy everyones thoughts. I love your comparison to golf clubs cause I'm a golfer and love seeing people that are not good go out and spend tons of money on new clubs thinking it will help them hit it further. Did I just answer my own question about this topic?? :)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I have this same thought every year when all the new gear comes out. I think its very important to have a nice rod but whats a nice rod? I have st croixs , northland professionals , JM meatsticks , frabills , ht blues and some no names. What I seem to use the most are the frabills and northlands. I just cant bring myself to pay more than 40$ for a rod  so all of mine were purchased in bargain bins or on sale. For my kind of fishing these seem to work great for me as a casual fisherman. And I think I would turn into the hulk and smash everything nearby if I broke a 100$ rod! Dont get me wrong I still want one and think it might actually catch a few more fish than the rods I have but for the cost vs fun factor the rods I have will satisfy me until the bait monkey completely takes over,LOL.

Paul

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2013, 07:06 PM »
How important is a nice fishing rod?

Depends on who you ask! I like nice fishing rods and I have some pretty spendy combos. I have over 200 bones into one of them. I know people that use the cheapest out there and still do just fine. It's all preference.

Offline Hux

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I have a dozen or so ranging from 20-200 dollars I seem to use the HT blues the most love em and the rod alone was 8 dollars.
FEESH ON!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:39 PM »
HI all. So I've been reading this forum for couple years now and am to the point where i cant help but ask a stupid question. How important is it to the "average" ice fisherman to have an expensive rod? I looked at Thorne Bros and they have rods for like $100 and up. I'm struggling on just how much better they are for the "average" Joe like me? What are the biggest benefits I would see? I have about 16 combos now ranging from $20/combo to $50/combo and to be honest cant see a ton of diff between most other than a couple nicer reels that I have. So there is the stupid questions for the day. Now unload with info and tell me if/why these expensive rods will help me catch more fish. By the way I spend most of my ice fishing days fishing in 10-20ft of water for gills, crappie, bass, and perch. Thanks all

Regardless of what anyone tells you. A nice fishing rod/reel for any species can be had for $20 or under with the stuff that's out there today.  Which is nice, because you can get a specific setup for all the different fish that you fish for.

I'm like you I have a lot of nice combos that range from $15-$200 for ice fishing. Personally the setup that I paid $15 for works  just has well as the expensive set ups.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I have a dozen or so ranging from 20-200 dollars I seem to use the HT blues the most love em and the rod alone was 8 dollars.

Lmao I have the same situation just didn't want to say it figuring people would jump my ass.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2013, 01:20 AM »
my favorite rod at the moment is a Fenwick that cost me about $20 for just the rod. (another $20 for a decent reel from Shimano, and about $8 for a big spool of 5lb test power pro braid)

i never buy a rod online unless i'm going to have it custom made, and being the poor son of a gun i am, i haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

basically, i look at what i'm going to be using the rod for and the style of fishing, then i choose the rod according to how it feels and whether or not it would suit that particular style of fishing. say, a heavier, more sturdy rod for dead-sticking, or a lighter, more sensitive rod for jigging.

as far as sensitivity goes i classify it one of two ways, 'feel' or 'see'. rods that are so light and whippy that i can see a bite before i feel it go in the 'see' category, and the ones where i feel the bite slightly before or just as i see the bite are in the 'feel' category.

honestly, my most expensive rod got chopped in half in the truck door on one of my last trips out, and i had never been terribly pleased with it in the first place. it was too long to use in the shack, the handle was too short to fit in any of my rod holders for a dead-stick, and i could neither feel nor see most of the lighter hits (i fish for panfish primarily).

my best suggestion is to go to your local sporting goods store and actually hold and test the rods until you find the ones you like best. don't believe what the weights and action markings on the rod say right away, i own a rod labeled for heavier weights and medium action, but it's one of the more noodle-y rods i own. checking the rods in person will also allow you to find manufacturing flaws before you pay for the rod, it's saved me a headache or two concerning twisted guides or large globs of lacquer.

sometimes, higher prices WILL get you higher quality. other times you should brace yourself for disappointment.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2013, 07:54 AM »
You do not see a Na scar Driver driving a cheep car do you. No. Get some good stuff to fish with. All though my favorite ice fishing pole is the one that I made. BUT the reel that is on it is Frabills BEST. OK now that I have you totally confused.
  You only go around once in life. If you want something but you cannot afford it. Do like I do. Either save you pennies till you have enough. Or sell something that you do not need anymore.
  Do not put yourself in a spot saying that I am not worth it. Yes you are worth it.
  Every one of us icefishing could fish with a lot less. But we love the sport. I do not drink,or smoke so I have money for lots of toys. And I love my toys. Remember the one that has the most at the end (wins). I might not come in first but I will be in the top 10.            Jerry (Fat Fish)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Been doing couple more days/night researching and thinking. Starting to wonder if it would be better to get two 13 combos for $60 each or one $100 rod? Thing is I already have a bunch of combos and last year i bought a Tica Cetus and Abu Cardinal reels from a guy and they are superb reels compared to the rest I have. As much as I think it would be a better value to get two combos compared to one rod I reeeeeaalllly think a $100 rod paired with the Tica would be the only pole i use for jigging??? As for poles for fishing with minnows I can use all my cheaper ones as the rod doesn't have quite as much to do with it other than setting the hook. Can only jig one, maybe two poles at a time so why not have that one be darn nice???? hmmmmmm i just need to shut up and order one.....

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Been doing couple more days/night researching and thinking. Starting to wonder if it would be better to get two 13 combos for $60 each or one $100 rod? Thing is I already have a bunch of combos and last year i bought a Tica Cetus and Abu Cardinal reels from a guy and they are superb reels compared to the rest I have. As much as I think it would be a better value to get two combos compared to one rod I reeeeeaalllly think a $100 rod paired with the Tica would be the only pole i use for jigging??? As for poles for fishing with minnows I can use all my cheaper ones as the rod doesn't have quite as much to do with it other than setting the hook. Can only jig one, maybe two poles at a time so why not have that one be darn nice???? hmmmmmm i just need to shut up and order one.....
You got a couple of decent reels - you can get a couple of 13 rods (alone) - they make a decent rod for about 20$  I like my new ones.   @)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2013, 04:56 PM »
You got a couple of decent reels - you can get a couple of 13 rods (alone) - they make a decent rod for about 20$  I like my new ones.   @)
I have a Wicked rod (W-25L) with a Black Betty on it!! Nice rod!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2013, 05:00 PM »

I've seen 13 fishing whiteout rods from last year on some web sites clearance price at $8. Look around if you have good reels just get the rod. 

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2013, 05:19 PM »
sorry to change the topic.but invest in a sonar unit your catch will increase

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2013, 05:36 PM »
You do not see a Na scar Driver driving a cheep car do you.

Lol. What does that have to do with anything? Is the guy gonna get paid to fish the rod or reel? I agree if you buy something get quality stuff so it last. However quality stuff doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg so to speak. If a guy shops around you can put a good rod and reel combo together in a very reasonable price range. I feel that  between $15-$30 I could build a combo. It might take some looking around and clearance items to be purchase to get it on the low side but it's possible.  Most of the high price stuff is just more due to brand advertising and market stigma. Have you ever heard of a marketing department.

Heck custom rods can cost a lot and bring premiums, but if you look at the actual materials used to build the rod there is no way it should cost what it does. Your paying for some Joe blow to take his time to build it. Yet, take those same materials and let a laser guided computer system accurate down to microns using the cost effective way of a production line and buying raw materials in large quantities to cheapen production cost. (By the way all the materials the custom guy uses were made this way)  So, what is quality? Something you pay a lot for? Or something that is built and durable to withstand continued use?

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2013, 05:53 PM »
This might upset a few people but here goes nothing. First and foremost is what kind of handle mat. do you like to have and how it feels in your hand. That will make any trip more fun !!! As far as the amount of money to spend on a rod is up to you and the other factors you have to decide on. I do a lot of ice fishing for panfish and I would hate to say rod cost shouldn't dictate what rod you want. THAT'S NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A ICE FISHING ROD !!!!! I have a TB rod and like it and use it a lot.(Plus others) BUTTTTTTT  from all the ice fishing that I've done and watched  some the young and old guys out on the ice EXPEREINCES makes  the difference. I would settle on a nice limber tip rod with a nice backbone. Then this is the MOST important part on a PANFISH rod. The SPRING BOBBER with a good 2 lbs. test line. When you decide on what rod you will get the first thing to do is put reel and line on the rod with a spring type bobber and run the line thru it. Now go get your ice jigs that you like to use and start to set the sensitivity of that spring. ALL SPRINGS ARE NOT THE SAME. Some are made of stiffer mat. than others. To set a spring you do this by SLOWLY stretching the spring out a very little at a time. You should have with your rod being horizontal a drop of about 25 degrees in the tip of the spring to see left bites and down type bites. Work at this and you will be way a head of the game in numbers of fish caught and the size of fish. Don't worry about feeling the bite because if you have that bobber set up just right you are good to go. A lot of other factors like wind and cold hands will affect that FEEL TYPE BITES. One last thing - Keep you line ice free at all time, the ice will change the way things work !!!  I hope this helps.  STEVE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.