The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy pro 4 lite ice auger  (Read 25414 times)

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy pro 4 lite ice auger
« on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:40 AM »
I have never owned a gas auger, and I am ready to pull the trigger. I was checking these out on cabelas site, and like the fact that they weigh in at 28# for 8" blade. Just wondering if the downsized engine of 38cc will be a significant difference in performance? I also found a website that I can get a new strikemaster lazermag 8" for $361 shipped to my door. So my two choices are the jiffy pro 4 lite $550 or strikemaster lazermag $361. Please help me out and thanks for the suggestions.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jiffy pro 4 lite ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:15 AM »
You do know the Jiffy is a Propane auger running off those small propane bottles? It will be a lot quieter but at the same time you might have a problem using it at altitude or extreme cold. I like them but I would not buy one myself. I own an Eskimo. My friend has an older Jiffy that cuts through ice like butter. I thought my auger cut really fast until I used his last year.
<===Lefty===

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2013, 07:39 AM »
Man im a little po ed , I had not even a month ago emaied jiffy asking if they were coming out with a new lighter  pro4 , I never got a  reply back so I went and got a pro4 .

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Me personally i would buy the strikemaster. Just because once the warrante is up its easier to work on a small gas engine than it is a small propane. Oh wait most companys build throw away augers now lol.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Actually, the propane is just as easy if not easier to work on than a carbureted gas engine. Converting a gas to propane via a propane kit is also relatively easy.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:52 AM »
X2. I would think a pressurized fuel delivery system would be good at higher altitudes.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2013, 10:07 AM »
The pro 4 lite is a great idea as the biggest criticism of the pro 4 is its bulk- but I'd hate to lose the cutting power. I'll take the bulk before I sacrifice the power. I really like seeing the technology expanding though! Jiffy took a big risk developing that auger and it really is a major advancement, it would be nice to see them sell more of them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2013, 10:56 AM »
The pro 4 lite is a great idea as the biggest criticism of the pro 4 is its bulk- but I'd hate to lose the cutting power. I'll take the bulk before I sacrifice the power. I really like seeing the technology expanding though! Jiffy took a big risk developing that auger and it really is a major advancement, it would be nice to see them sell more of them.
I may have to buy one just to help out the cause.  ;D

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Wouldn't hurt, consumption drives development! I wonder how much I've helped breweries drive the production of beer throughout my lifetime...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Wouldn't hurt, consumption drives development! I wonder how much I've helped breweries drive the production of beer throughout my lifetime...
:woot: Now there's a thought.

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Also considering a Jiffy propane auger.   Like the idea of less weight.   But don't like the idea of being one of the first to buy a new model.   Like someone else to find the bugs.    The new 2-2-2 warranty is a plus but that don't help if you are without an auger in the middle of the winter.    Might try to get another year out of my old Strikemaster.   

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2013, 06:43 PM »
I don't know, but when I went on the wagon, Budweiser laid off a shift and quit sending me Christmas cards :woot: :roflmao: ;)2 :whistle:!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I don't know, but when I went on the wagon, Budweiser laid off a shift and quit sending me Christmas cards :woot: :roflmao: ;)2 :whistle:!!!

Seagram's suddenly found they were overstocked with 1,000 BARRELS of VO when I had to quit.  :pinch: I think Jiffy has most of the bugs worked out of the propane one, and they're made in the USA, too.  ;)

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I am sold on Jiffy.  Just trying to decide on the Pro4 or Pro4 lite.    The Pro4 has been in the field for a couple of years now and certainly has had mostly positive reviews.   As good as their testing my be,  a new model always has a few issues when they hit the ice.   

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2013, 09:39 AM »
If I had the money Rebelss has saved on his whiskey bill I would have one of each.  ;D

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:35 AM »
I'm thinking pretty hard about the new propane powered Pro 4 Lite.  I find that the older I get the more weight becomes an issue and it's all down hill from here.  :-)   I fish solo more now that the kids are grown so I don't have my Son to haul the heavy stuff for me.  I also like the idea of not having to worry about gas/oil spillage.  I'm hoping they'll have some deals at the St. Paul or Wausau Ice fishing shows this year. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I'm thinking pretty hard about the new propane powered Pro 4 Lite.  I find that the older I get the more weight becomes an issue and it's all down hill from here.  :-)   I fish solo more now that the kids are grown so I don't have my Son to haul the heavy stuff for me.  I also like the idea of not having to worry about gas/oil spillage.  I'm hoping they'll have some deals at the St. Paul or Wausau Ice fishing shows this year.
I'm in about the same situation as you are. My son has a new baby, most of the guys I used to fish with are too crippled up to go anymore so I'm by myself most of the time. The only deals we get around here are what the tag states, but I'm still leaning toward a Pro 4 Lite.

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I bought the Pro 4 Lite model about a month ago.  Since there is no ice I can't say how it drills but it's light, quiet and seems to have a lot of power.  I go out into the garage every now and then just to start it and here it run, waiting for the ice.  It always starts on the first or second pull.  No choke, no mixing of gas, no leaking of gas in my truck, lighter than my old model 30, no smoke, etc......  I think I made a good choice, just can't wait to actually use it.  Hope this helps in making your decision

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2013, 10:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it being a "new" product...they are just using a smaller motor with same workings. Id never buy anything but a pro 4 now that i got one!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2013, 10:57 PM »
My only reservation would be how it would start in cold weather.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2013, 11:04 PM »
I left mine outside of my hut in a blizzard.... Came outside to move some tipups and had to dig my pro 4 out of the snow (kinda hard to find my tipups too) I was wondering since Ppl saying its not cold friendly but sure thing started up second pull like it was brand new!! Think keeps surprising me
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Most people I have talked to who own a Pro 4 love them and say they start right up no matter how cold it is as long as you hold the throttle open a bit when starting them. It has a tendency to get a mite cold here in SD also.  ;D

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:56 PM »
ya that pro 4 is a great auger just a quick question how much does it weigh??
Never to many short poles

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Most people I have talked to who own a Pro 4 love them and say they start right up no matter how cold it is as long as you hold the throttle open a bit when starting them. It has a tendency to get a mite cold here in SD also.  ;D

Holding the throttle open a bit is just following the owners manual.  Mine is the same way, even when warmed up I hold half throttle.  Makes the normal 2 pull starts often in 1 pull.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:44 AM »
ya that pro 4 is a great auger just a quick question how much does it weigh??
Pro 4 is 34 to 36 lbs. Pro 4 Lite is 26 to 28 lbs. The weight varies according to drill size.

Offline Tommytuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Im looking to hear some real feedback from actual use between the pro4 and pro4 lite before pulling the trigger. Whether theres a loss of rpm or torque? How much slower does one cut than the other? Ive asked the people at Jiffy how the performance differs between the two and the woman Ive talked to keeps telling me there is no difference. She's a nice enough lady and is very polite, but doesn't seem to understand Im questioning whether theres some drawback when losing 20% of horsepower. She did say the lite model has a different ripping blade which also helped on the weight reduction. It would be nice to see a side by side demo on youtube like the gas vs propane vids (
). I'm sure once we get some ice we'll have something to compare. Might be awhile for us here in Connecticut though. lol. Please post a link if you find something.
Thanks guys,
Have a safe season

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:12 AM »
as soon as we get ice I will see what we can do about side by side running between a pro4 and a pro4 lite. The guys at the bait shop have both out on the floor, both with 8in bits and both with new blades. Only difference is the Pro4 has a season of use on the power head.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline Tommytuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:40 AM »
as soon as we get ice I will see what we can do about side by side running between a pro4 and a pro4 lite. The guys at the bait shop have both out on the floor, both with 8in bits and both with new blades. Only difference is the Pro4 has a season of use on the power head.

Thanks toofuss. Looking forward to hear what you find. have a safe season

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I'd love to see that. Grab one and sneak out back.... ;D  Thanks!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Honestly I think the the weight will be the deciding factor. If I had to bet money on which one will in it would be the original pro4 just because of the extra weight putting more down force on the blade coupled with more hp. My only concern in that line of thinking is if the Pro4 lite turns a higher RPM all bets are off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.