New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 826712 times)

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #870 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Hey guys I just want to clear up a few things with the season really getting going and the early rumors starting to fly.

First I want to say there is no ill will towards Ric or Apps. Rick and Apps are an institution on Oneida Lake and I respect Rick and Peggy for all they have done for the sport and the Lake Community we very much appreciate their efforts.

Second ..... We have no Buckeyes as of yet ....So if buckeyes were dying on the ice they were not from us as there is only one shop that has them currently. The Buckeyes all come from the same supplier ...So all this store has better bait then that store is a fallacy, it is all the same bait .

Now how that bait is cared for once received is a different story and will will strive to sell the healthiest bait possible.

Apps is Iconic ... Bartel Road wants to offer the best gear possible along with the traditional bait and tackle ... So we ask let's not start a problem where non exists. Oneida Lake is big enough for two great Bait Shops to exist.

Have a great weekend and be safe.
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #871 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Great pictures guys, and thanks for all the stories of early success . I can hear the joy in your posts. I on the other hand am back at work and will half to wait awhile to get to Oneida, but keep the posts coming as it is a joy to live thru your eyes.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #872 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:54 AM »
awesome job on the fish guys, and that's a sweet walleye filet
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #873 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:22 AM »

Never mentioned any bait shops Rob, as I don't know where people get bait, just spreading the word Apps is open with his super buckeyes, hope you have a great season.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Guppiekilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #874 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:24 AM »
What time is the Marion Manor open

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #875 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:43 AM »
Got out yesterday for a few hrs and then again this morning. Both times on the south shore. Kept 2 yesterday and 2 more today. Lot of marks but tough to get them to bite. I wish I could look over Filet's  shoulder for a while to see what he does.   Todays fish were nice 21 and 23 inches.  I should have put the 23 back but it's the biggest walleye I've ever caught.  Sorry,  I kept it.  I'll put the next one back.  Met Filet and "Jig Head" ?  in the parking lot. Filet, I've gotta make one of those sled's like you have.  Back out again maybe Sunday, Monday and Wed's.  Good Luck everyone,  Stay safe,

hey a 23" is a great fish for Oneida don't be sorry you kept it ,but before you eat it get a pic ,  ;)

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #876 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:34 AM »
Everyone be safe out there today. That lake is not ready for wandering around...
Its not icefishing or Oneida but Tank and I got some nice eyes yesterday with the boat. Was actually colder than icefishing - had the heater to warm our hands but no fish trap to turn into a Freddie Sauna...
Kept some 17-22inchers and released this 27...

Jr thinks they are awesome!  ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #877 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:39 AM »
For a guy that doesn't have the "heart" for the early ice, you guys are awesome! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #878 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:12 AM »
Nice to see everyone catching some real nice eyes early season, keep the pics coming. Be safe out there!!!!

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #879 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:47 AM »
With regard to the Buckeyes dying while out on the ice.  I believe it has more to do with the water and temperature the bait shop keeps them in.  At Apps, I believe they circulate water from Oneida Lake.  The water is cold.  Other bait shops keep the water warm (about room temp)  so when you take the Buckeyes outside they eventually get cold. The shock of going from warm to cold kills off the buckeyes. The Buckeyes from Apps are already in that cold Oneida Lake water so they do not go through thermal shock, they remain lively and hardy.  Just my two cents.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #880 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:53 AM »
fishin mission. you are correct about temp. right now my tanks are at 43 degrees. I have a freezer unit i will be using when i get buckeyes in...that way it will keep the temp at or near freezing..in an optimum situation you want a slight skim on the surface of the tank. emeralds are fragile to begin with and over the years i've seen more die from temperature disparity than anything else.

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #881 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Any word on Lewis Pt ice being safe??
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #882 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:17 AM »
i have personally not been there. however several dozen people this morning said they where either there or knew people that where and they are saying it is safe....that being said. always err on the side of caution and don't take chances.

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #883 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:19 AM »
I saw a post from Toxic Fisher several days ago saying 2-5 inches at Lewis.  Not sure if it is accurate, but it sounds plausible.

Look for the post on page 45 from Dec 26th I believe.

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #884 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:53 AM »
My brother is out there right now same conditions 2-5 use a spud a lot!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #885 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:02 AM »
great advice toxic. I got in a shipment of ht breakdown spuds yesterday already sold a couple. While I'm at it i just wanna through out there that alot of open wather anglers use self inflating lifevests. they are lightweight and can be worn without hindering movement. thats an underused piece of safty equiptment on the ice.

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Offline kingFisher65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #886 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:54 AM »
NICE FISH GUYS! I was wondering if some one could help me out. I'm not familiar with Oneida where do u get on the ice to fish Lewis point

Offline CrappieAttitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • golly thats good
« Reply #887 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:01 AM »
NICE FISH GUYS! I was wondering if some one could help me out. I'm not familiar with Oneida where do u get on the ice to fish Lewis point

Lewis Point Road.  There is a designated parking area for fisherman.  The lot fills up QUICK so if you plan on fishing that area get there semi early.  There were several issues last year at the point so please respect property owners when getting on and off the ice.
Take it for what it's worth

Offline Wildwaldos86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #888 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:46 AM »
How is the ice of Lewis point I've herd 2-5.... 4-5 solid ice i hoping to get out but this little weather warm up is making me second guess ?
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on shore like an idiot"

"If people concentrated on the more important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #889 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:17 AM »
o....m....g......Here we go again....... ::)
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline frozen fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #890 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:47 AM »
      LEWIS POINT    At least a dozen people out there around noon-more earlier. I could see them the beach.

Offline frozen fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #891 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:49 AM »
That last post on lewis[dozen people at noon ] was friday   sorry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #892 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:52 AM »
just spent an hr walking around big bay. talked to shaun that owns the parking lot....he had 97 paid cars there when i was. I'd estimate 150-200 people on the ice. i personally cut several holes. i found anywhere from 3 inches of straight black ice to 5 inches with 3 inches of white ice on top. there was no noise no popping. saw alot of fish being caught. some nice most small. One guy we sold bait to this morning had a nice pile of gills and 5 of the biggest pick's I've ever seen.

Phone   (315) 676-2144

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #893 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Any word on Lewis Pt ice being safe??
I was there at 8 AM this morning.  Both parking areas were full and I'd estimate that there were over 150 people out there...
  Most in a tight group on the first drop off.
  Chapmans park had about 60 people out there.
Edgewater had about 50 people out about 1/2 mile,  A dozen or so out of Jewell, One guy out from Colemans, Nobody at Godfrey Pt.  The ice is real sketchy there out from the launch.   Lots of pack ice and wet spots.
  Nobody out of Apps/  One guy sitting just inside of Willard Island at Bernhards bay, a dozen or so out of Tripps / Spruce Grove, nobody at Taft Bay, 20 or so people out of Constantia, and your typical Big Bay weekend zoo !   Over 200 people out there when I was there.
  This thaw will smooth things out nicely and refreeze everything nice and tight !
Probably be "creepers necessary" ice next week.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #894 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Lewis Point Ice ?    Snagger's post on 12/27 is all you need to know.

Fished Edgewater early this morning, 22' ice ok but still need to be careful. Iced 7 eyes but none bigger than 12" and one keeper yellow.  Marked quite a few fish but really had to work to make them commit. Even when they did not much of a hit, just felt some weight. Left early to do some scouting for tomorrow. A number of people I know fishing different areas reported only pin pike and no keepers.

Congrats on some really nice fish guys.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #895 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Good job to all that got out and had fun...Freddy, I love the way you let the Big Girls go...I bet you didn't do that in High School :whistle:
I never mess with the Big Girls, they taste bad :roflmao: :woot:

AW

you kill me AW  :woot:

nice fish DC & tank , propane is pretty cheap I can't nap cold  ;)

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #896 on: Dec 28, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Just got back from Lewis Pt. A TON of people out there today and it took its toll on the ice. On my walk back in around 13:00 I decided to follow a worn path and not spud. Around the 18' mark on the break I heard cracking. Tried to get across quick but my right leg ended up going thru. I got lucky and hopped to safer ice but beware. It is dangerous.

I warned everyone I saw but would be surprised if nobody goes thru this evening.

Offline Zeek1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #897 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Saw 4 sleds off Jewell pretty far out. Not enough ice for that right now....be safe ice is spotty

Offline gunner38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #898 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:58 PM »
first time looking to go to Oneida any suggestions on places to go thanks

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #899 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:47 PM »
fished big bay this afternoon. discusting to say the least !!!  >:( >:( >:(. I wiil not be going back there any time soon !! between the trash everywhere, pickreral, and northerns, and bags of fish guts all over the ice. not to mention 100's of small gills evrywhere !!!
thier gonna need a trash truck to pick up the mess left by irresponsible fishermen. they will be the first ones to complain when the access is shut down !!!    Sully...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.