Author Topic: Clam Drill plate  (Read 2450 times)

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Re: Clam Drill plate
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2013, 08:50 AM »
paraplegic vet I regularly take out fishing (hard & soft water) strapped a 21V Lithium Ion drill to a few different augers.  We found the best way for the batteries to hold up in cold temps and deep ice we get was to have the sharpest auger possible(and maintain it @ optimal sharpness). Nils' auger seemed to be the right choice over other augers tested in 2' of ice. 

Outcomes will no doubt vary for others and based upon types of drill + auger + battery + ice thickness + temps + down pressure applied, etc
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Is there a reduction gear in that to protect against stalling the drill?

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2013, 10:59 AM »

Nope, from the descriptions I've been seeing and from the video's posted, it looks like there's just a direct bearing to try and spread the load - but no actual gear reduction. 

I'm torn on the whole thing - it does look like a nicer setup than my current drill/Nimrod setup, but I don't think I'd gain anything switching to this.  Add in the cost of the adapter and a dedicated drill, and for not much more I think a gas auger is close (granted not top of the line, but still).

Thinking a gas auger would be a nice investment this year.  Along with some transportation....

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2013, 06:07 PM »
There are adapters to use a heavy duty drill  with an auger and they don't use any kind of reduction gear! You need to use a heavy duty 18 volt (or better) drill that has 2 speeds! Mine has a low speed, high torque setting which is what you would use. IMHO, the advantages of this adapter are ease of use, in that you can use both hands for drilling, and the security of not losing the drill down the hole! I live in an area that seldom gets real thick ice, but I could see a setup like this being handy for early season ice, and for those who don't run and gun all day!! If you're setting up on a couple of honey holes and aren't going to drill a bunch of holes, this seems like a sweet set up!! I would love to have a Nils auger to use with this adapter and my heavy duty li-ion drill ! :thumbsup: The better the auger, the easier the drilling, whether by hand or with a drill!!  ;)2 :icefish:
In fact, Nils makes a cordless drill setup!!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Ice-Augers%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/Nils-USA-Cordless-Drill-Auger/1369400.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100504%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1089564&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1089564%3Bcat104395680
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Online OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Since posting the Bass Pro Shops link, they have dropped the adapter from the site!! :%$#!: Thanks BPS!!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2013, 11:48 AM »
If the ice is thin i.e. less than 12 inch the hand auger is adequate.  My 6 in Mora goes through in about 10 seconds.  With a good hand auger like a nils or a mora The device is unnecessary.  I think the $$$ is better spent on a quality auger than another gadget that you have to find room for in your kit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.