The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Propane Augers  (Read 6346 times)

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane Augers
« on: Aug 08, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Anyone have anything to say about propane power augers, good, bad, or otherwise?  I have always gone with a hand auger due to the ease of use and light weight.  I also enjoyed the extra exercise, but since I am getting older I was looking for an alternative.  Any thoughts or advise on gas vs propane?

Update 11/24/2014
Bought a 8" Jiffy Pro4 Lite last season (12/2013) and loved it.  Can't say enough good things about it and encourage anyone to buy one if you are in the market.  It delivers on everything, starts with 1 pull every time, cuts easy, no gas to mix/spill, 1 tank lasted me all season (200 or 300 holes easy if not more).  The only down side for me is the weight.  I usually pull my flip over by hand and it adds a lot of weight to that.  I am not in a hurry to start pulling with a 4x4 or snow machine, but if you are already using one no big deal to toss this auger in with your gear.  You will be glad that you did.  If you are pulling your sled by hand like me, it will be heavier but no more cutting by hand is awesome!  It is a little loud, as expected for a power auger, but well worth it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Propane Augers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Go to the Equipment/Ice auger section.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2013, 10:55 AM »
The propane are only really better if you do a lot of indoor drilling like in a permy otherwise they are heavy and you can find gas ones that are lighter and gas is easyer to come buy than the 1 lb tanks.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2013, 11:57 AM »
If you have a lot of holes to drill and it is really cold out, the propane will not perform as well.  The gas refrigerates itself in the bottle and if it gets around -60 f it stays liquid and won't come out.  You can see the refrigeration working as the bottle gathers frost on it's shell. This happens because the bottle is way colder than the air around it. :icefish:

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I went propane about 3/4 of the way through last season. I really like it.

It is a little heavier as mentioned then a gas auger, however for me the weight is minimal. I love the fact that I can put it in my car, pickup whatever and have no fumes or leaky gas. Seemed like for one reason or another I would get to my spot and find my tote was full of gas, be it a faulty gas cap, a broken gas cap, and the list goes on. So because of that I never dared to not bring a spare mixed gas can with me. With the one lb tanks I am bringing a bunch with me anyways (heater, stove, lantern) so that wasn't a issue

Starts good, much less effort on me to drill. That my be the bit too. It drills a noticeably slower speed, but cuts just as fast..if that made sense the way I said it  ;D

The only problem I ever had was covering the auger with slush going out to the shack. It was a ball of ice and not wanting to let it thaw off I started it up and grabbed the throttle...yep, broke the lever. Still was able to use it that  day and Jiffy hooked me up with a replacement. My own fault, but a better quality throttle wouldn't hurt my feelings either

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Thank you Jessechop!  The whole reason I did not want gas was the mess it brings with it.  I just didn’t know if propane would have the power you need to get through 12-16 inches of ice.  I already carry propane for my Mr. Buddy and lantern so I thought it would fit right in without adding additional work.

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Thank you Jessechop!  The whole reason I did not want gas was the mess it brings with it.  I just didn’t know if propane would have the power you need to get through 12-16 inches of ice.  I already carry propane for my Mr. Buddy and lantern so I thought it would fit right in without adding additional work.

It will play with that much ice. End of last season I was right at the bottom of the gearbox before it would break through.

Offline Phazer icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:11 PM »
I just bought the jiffy pro-4 propane last season and I would have to say its an amazing auger. Starts first pull and I can grill 3 holes before my friend with his gas auger can drill 1. I have drilled though 18 inches of ice like it is butter.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:15 PM »
I was looking at the jiffy pro-4 thanks for the info Phazer!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2013, 03:28 PM »
im thinking going the propane auger route too..no more gummed up carbs and the way the  gas is  these days with all the ethanol in it  goes bad quick.no more leaking gas caps and carbs/gas on hands.. and I carry propane for my heater anyways.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2013, 07:26 PM »
My friend bought one of the first Jiff propane augers and laid it down the wrong way and messed it up, something filled up with oil but I'm not exactly sure what exactly went wrong, but he had to get a replacement.  If you get one make sure you put it down the way they say to prevent problems.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2013, 12:34 PM »

I used the pro4 all last season and it ripped through 20" of ice in upstate NY a lot faster than most gas motors out there. It is surprisingly powerful, I think it's about 54cc's but I'm not exactly sure. It starts with one pull, runs very quiet, and gets the job done very easily. At this point they have worked the bugs out of it- a few years ago it had some issues but most of them are fixed. I highly recommend it.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2013, 03:10 AM »
I watched my brother in law 1 pull - start his Jiffy Propane all seasons with no issues. My Legend XT has been nothing but problems for the three seasons I had it. I sold it this spring and this winter will be replaced with a Propane jobby.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2013, 05:44 AM »
looking forward to my 3rd year with my pro 4 and yes it is heavy but if you let the weight of the auger do the work all you have to do is pull the cord and hold on. havent had any problems with the bottles freezing up cuz if its that cold i keep it in the portable with the little buddy heater going anyway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2013, 08:48 AM »
For the people living very far north where temperatures regularly dip down below -15 F the freezing propane bottle could be a problem. For the rest of us who live a little further south (which is most of us) that isn't an issue.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I'm 57 years old and I to am slowing up some when the ice gets over 16" I bring out the power , I have a few of my buds running propane and they all love-m and you can refill the tanks for pennies

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2013, 10:56 PM »
For the people living very far north where temperatures regularly dip down below -15 F the freezing propane bottle could be a problem. For the rest of us who live a little further south (which is most of us) that isn't an issue.

I have heard lots of concerns about freezing bottles, yet have never had one freeze. And if they do I am screwed because that means no heat for the day. I mean I assume if the auger tank will freeze my heater one would too?

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I would just like a propain auger for one reason no gas smell since I drive a 2012 Chevy Tahoe I don't want any leaks. As many of you know once you get that smell any where its very tricky to get rid of.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:30 AM »
I have heard lots of concerns about freezing bottles, yet have never had one freeze. And if they do I am screwed because that means no heat for the day. I mean I assume if the auger tank will freeze my heater one would too?

I fished the king of the ice last year in White Lake, NY. It was so cold and windy that by 10 am most people that showed up had left. It was about 10 F and the winds were probably 30-40 mph with no break. I stuck it out the whole 9 hours. My gloves froze, my beer froze, my aerator froze, and even the inside of my insulated minnow pail froze about almost 2 inches thick around the inside. There were minnows frozen in the ice in the pail! Those were some of the most extreme conditions one would normally experience in southeastern NY. My propane tanks did not freeze enough to stop me from drilling holes- I was still drilling holes when all of those things were frozen. I wouldn't worry too much about propane bottles freezing- everyone says it "can" happen but I have yet to see it actually happen.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19, 2013, 12:23 PM »
I fished the king of the ice last year in White Lake, NY. It was so cold and windy that by 10 am most people that showed up had left. It was about 10 F and the winds were probably 30-40 mph with no break. I stuck it out the whole 9 hours. My gloves froze, my beer froze, my aerator froze, and even the inside of my insulated minnow pail froze about almost 2 inches thick around the inside. There were minnows frozen in the ice in the pail! Those were some of the most extreme conditions one would normally experience in southeastern NY. My propane tanks did not freeze enough to stop me from drilling holes- I was still drilling holes when all of those things were frozen. I wouldn't worry too much about propane bottles freezing- everyone says it "can" happen but I have yet to see it actually happen.

The way I see it is if propane tanks freeze at -60, I am not fishing at -60. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Yeah the whole thing about freezing propane tanks is probably just put out there by those who have a stake in gas augers. At this point the Jiffy pro4 is really superior to any gas auger I've seen (I havent compared them all, but most) because it does a better job while being quieter and easier to operate- and it's environmentally friendly because there's no gas involved. Kind of a no-brainer to me. It's a little pricier but how many augers do you buy in your lifetime? I'd rather spend the money and do it right. For anyone willing to tolerate a slightly more bulky machine it's the way to go.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 31, 2013, 09:33 PM »
WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! I got one for last year and haven't looked back since! yeah its a little heavier than a gas auger but you wont have the smell to deal with and i have yet to run into a problem with the tank freezing (they make a tank koozy  too if your worried about it). I even left mine outside of my one man hut in a blizzard to see how it would hold up and it started right up first pull! I haul all my gear by hand and dont mind the little extra weight for the performance it offers! It also cuts VERY fast! I have raced a few ppl and ill let them start theirs first and start drilling and i can start and drill a hole faster than them! hard to argue with that!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2013, 12:40 PM »
I just bought a brand new pro4 with 10" ( never been started) from a friend for $350

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2013, 07:03 PM »
I will be using my pro 4 for the third year and never had a problem and it starts right up all the time.  If you fish in -60 F more than the propane will freeze.

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2013, 08:25 PM »
   I have had a strikemaster for 11 years and loved it  , last year I won a Jiffy Pro 4 and was pleasently suprised. Although heavier the Jiffy was hands down better drilling. No fumes, starts 2nd pull, no gas can in the truck or on the ice, and quieter. Fished a couple mornings at -20 and no problems with tank or fuel lines freezing. Will try to sell my strike to get another Pro 4 forthe upcomming season.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2013, 09:43 AM »
I will be using my pro 4 for the third year and never had a problem and it starts right up all the time.  If you fish in -60 F more than the propane will freeze.
A little helpful info for ya.  ;)

Propane freezing point = -187.6° C
Propane boiling point = -42.09° C
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I just bought a brand new pro4 with 10" ( never been started) from a friend for $350

I'm so jealous!

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I just got a pro 4 this fall in a ice fishing package deal, and greatly looking forward to using it this session over using my buddy's hand auger. I looked at alot of augers, and just personally came to the conclusion its kind of new idea and that just makes people nervous. But works just as good as gas with out fumes. As ice dawg pointed out propane boiled much colder them most people think or that i really want to fishing. It drills and I got it cheep, I'm happy with my choice.
flag em and tag em

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 19, 2013, 09:12 AM »
I'm coming up on my 3rd season of owning a Pro4, after upgrading from an old Model 30. 
A few things to add here....

Propane boiling/freezing, and issues for fishermen.  What we burn is the boiled vapors, not the liquid.  Some larger propane burning engines run on liquid, and have inverted tanks to do so.   My friend runs propane in his offroad truck.   GM 6.0L on Propane.  Sounds really nice too!
  So yes- if cold enough we could not use the Pro4.  I am not going fishing if it below -40 anyway, so I don't care if my auger does not start.  Also your propane heater will not work, nor will a lantern. 

The Pro4 is heavy, but not unmanageable.   Mine is almost always carried on my Digger auger rack on the wheeler, so weight is not an issue.

Laying the power head the right side up... Just a habit the user has to get into when laying it down.  Not hard, just have to think about it a few times. 

I did post this video
after a few weeks of owning my Pro4.  Since I got my Pro4, 4 of my good friends switched from other brands and models to the Propane after seeing/using mine.  The proof is in seeing, hearing, and using the Pro4! 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2013, 10:10 AM »

I wasn't planning on it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.