Author Topic: Ice Gator or ION? Sales? Experiance?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Gator or ION? Sales? Experiance?
« on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Looking @ a new auger already. 

For me its all about weight and ease of use.
I went out fishing with someone from Clam this past winter and got to use the ION.  Awsome!  Light, fast and just pull the trigger.  No exhaust smell, fuss to pulling chord etc...

Since I do a lot of dragging with a sled the weight is the biggest issue for me.

I had talked to him about the battery freezing issue.  He says it does happen.  But just put it in your pocket and no worries.  I read a lot on here how members feel ripped off, taken advantage of and feel it was false advertising for them because of the battery issue and being told buy ION you need to keep the battery warm.
I agree with them it suxs.  And they should @ least in fine print list *battery must be kept 40 degrees to prevent draining*
But... you can have all sorts of issues with a gas auger.  @ 1st it might start on 1st pull.  Next yr 3 pulls.  3 years later 8 pulls to start. etc... Plus when you buy a gas auger they don't advertise on the box it requires maintenance and new plugs etc...  Now this isn't a debate about false advertising or pros/cons about Electric VS gas.

Curious to hear people experience and opinions with an ice gator VS ION.  There's a significant price difference and close to the same weight.  But do you have to worry about the battery in the ice gator ( li-ion) draining in the cold weather?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Ice Gator or ION? Sales? Experiance?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Build yourself a good smitty sled and gas auger weight is no problem.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I've got an IceGator - Attacker II.  Had it for 5 years. Last year I got an LiION battery pack for it.  8 lbs less.  Anyways.  I don't do a ton of drilling, maybe 25 holes a day.  No problems with either battery pack for me.  Out all day and drilling 2 holes every now and then.  Cold has never bothered either battery pack.  I've even left it in the truck at temps near zero for the night and used the following day.  IceGator insulates the batteries inside their pack.
No experience with ION, but I would like some.  ;D

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Yes, I've been reading http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=113192.180

After all the negative issues with the customer service this is why I made the post  .  But from what I can tell this product is just awesome.  But terrible customer service @ times.

All the videos and reviews I read ( customer service aside ) this thing is sick fast!  I'll pay the $200+ over the ION if its as fast as I've seen and read.  Considering I will probally not need to buy an auger for years.  It will be money well spent.

Just curious to know if a lot of the issues have been solved over the years.  The long thread posted above was from 2+ yrs ago.

These are some awesome videos influencing me to jump on a ice gator.

ION vs Ice Gator --> 

Holes cut in 7 secs. --->

Ice Gator vs Jiffy -->

Attacker model --->

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2013, 08:17 AM »
i won an ice gator and have it paired with an 8" nils. i dont even bother using it unless the ice is over 6" thick. but once i throw it on it cuts about 1.5" a second. yeah its heavy. but it works all day. its a power house. needless to say. i love it
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013, 06:26 PM »
bought a ion last season and love it
what is and what should never be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.