The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice augers  (Read 1288 times)

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice augers
« on: Jul 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Going to   buy a new hand ice auger this year.  Either a mora or a nills.I had a nills that I used last year and after  drilling holes a few times it would no longer cut  like a new ice auger would.  Had the blades changed by people at fish    307  great    p eople to do business with,  it still would not cut.  I borrowed a mora and it cut much better then the nills.  What do you people use? :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I have had an 8" NILs for quite a few years.  Never had to have it sharpened.  Anyways, last year I decided to downsize a bit and bought a 6" Normark Finbore Micro.  Very nice auger.  Probably won't take abuse but Then I don't abuse my stuff.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Back when I used a hand auger I used an 8 inch Mora which worked well as long as the baldes were sharp.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I use a 6" and 8" Nils with no issues. I have seen a few that don't cut too great, but mine have been reliable. Knock on wood.  ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2013, 03:34 AM »
I have both a six and eight inch Lazer model from Strike Master. They cut good but always seem to hang up just before the final break through to water. If you buy a Mora be sure to get the blades replaced with Swedish made ones I believe they are sold with ones made in China many threads on here about the poor quality of Chinese blades. Also Strike Master is now part of Rapala no idea how this will affect customer service or product quality.
 Did you check the shaft and blade attachment area on your Nils to see if either is bent.
Steve

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2013, 06:13 AM »
fyi - Sharp Nils - a user on here sharpens nils heads and does an outstanding job.  I am about to send him my 2 8" heads.  You guys that claim your nils does not cut, send the head to Frank.

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Yeah nils all day..have owned several others and have friends who own others, betwedn us all ive tried um all nothing like a nils.  I can drill a 6" hole faster then most 8" power augers we have raced several times. Have had mine 4 years now and I drill ALOT of holes and have neved had get it sharpen.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2013, 06:32 PM »
stick with the nils
what is and what should never be

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2013, 03:38 PM »
I have an 8" mora and its a pain in the rear when the ice gets thick even when new.My buddy uses a 6" and loves it! Cuts really fast.We share his on thinner ice and when the ice gets thicker(when and if it gets cold enough) or we go up north I break out the Jiffy!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Must of had dirt or something in the ice for them to dull so fast.  I'd go to a dealer and tell him your problem to get it fixed.  Maybe it needs some shims under the blade for the proper angle but a Nils is a fine auger.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2013, 06:51 PM »
I personally have never had chance to try a nills. I have a new 8" frabil curved blade and an old 6" Mora. I can poke holes with that ratty old auger faster than my buddies power auger. Its all in how you treat your blades.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2013, 04:47 AM »
Another thing I see people do all the time is pushing down on the auger trying to force it to cut.  The trick with any hqnd auger is to let the blades do the work. The only thing that you should have to do is turn the handle, especially with a nils. Dont push down and I bet you cut 3x faster!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2013, 05:25 AM »
If you have to "push" down on a NILs to get it to cut, it is not properly sharpened, or it needs sharpening by a skilled NILs person, no matter how new it is.  I'd say that is true of any auger, some of them have been abused (like "banging" the end (blades) of the auger on the ice).  That can do irreparable damage to an auger; you may never get it to cut properly again.
Treat you auger(s) right and "don't" loan them out.  If someone needs a hole, cut it for them.  I learned that lesson many years ago.  >:(

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2013, 02:11 PM »
I'll put up a vote for the Normark Finbore. I bought a 4.5" last year and felt like a fool for not getting one years ago once I made my 1st hole. My girlfriend has a pic somewhere of me and my reaction after cutting the 1st hole with it. I cut the hole and stood there stunned for 30 seconds with my jaw resting on my knees. Really funny pic. 
I think it's a better auger than the Nils, but some will disagree.
I don't like the price on a new head for the Nils.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2013, 03:27 PM »
I'll put up a vote for the Normark Finbore. I bought a 4.5" last year and felt like a fool for not getting one years ago once I made my 1st hole.  .

I got a 6" two years ago and think I'm going to get an 8" this year...   For the money there awesome....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I have had a 6" Nils hand auger for 4-5 years now, no problems, never had to sharp it and still cuts like butter.  I also have a 8" Nils with the powerhead. I used it for the first time last year, love it and no problems. Besides the Flasher, the Nils auger has absolutely changed Ice Fishing for me!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.