Author Topic: New Ice Shack build  (Read 5492 times)

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
New Ice Shack build
« on: Jun 02, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Looking for some advice for my new permanent ice shack. Building an 8x12 or 8x14 shack on skis.  Hoping to have it double as ATV storage for the kids quads for the summer.  Just wondering what limitations steel studs have for ice shack design?  Looking for ways to limit weight but don't want to sacrifice strength.  Will heat with a big buddy heater.  Have lots of fibreglass insulation, 3/4 plywoood for the floor and plan to use metal roofing.  Can anyone offer some suggestions on what else I should consider prior to making out my lumber list. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Ice Shack build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Welcome,

I am not sure how deep the snow gets where you are fishing, but I have found that having the shanty on wheels is a huge advantage, and you can always rig up skiis over the wheels,or in place of the wheels etc. if it were to get real deep out there. A shanty that size is heavy regardless of what you build it with, and wheels help out alot. I was curious about steel studs myself, but opted for aluminum but it is expensive. Not much info on this site for steel studs, but i think i seen one good thread about it a while back. good luck and post some pics.

jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2013, 05:33 AM »
PBear first off welcome to Ice Shanty, I have limited construction knowledge but remember reading about condensation forming on the frame work of metal framed shanties using propane as a heat source. My question would be will this affect the fiberglass insulation over time not to mention rust forming on steel studs. Are the studs used to frame out rooms in commercial building steel or aluminum ? They maybe an option for framing, also since you want to use shanty for ATV storage you will need a door/ramp somewhere how will you raise and lower the door/ramp. It maybe to heavy to do by hand might need some kind of winch. Many people use RV window in their shanties you will need some type of ventilation with a heated shanty to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly a co detector/monitor.
 Look through the other threads in this forum /community you should find many ideas. May you have a successful build whatever you decide to do and materials you use to build.
Steve

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Welcome to the shanty and get ready to be addicted to it. Lol
I love to read about new shanty builds and build them as well my build is called " MY NEW PERMY BUILD". I have posted lots of picks in there of every stage some may help ya out. As for metal studs as mentioned before the condensation from the propane heat might start to rust them. If the shanty is not going to be beat around to bad 2x2s are just as lite as steel studs. Post pics as ya go we all love to see them.

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I live in Northern Ontario so the snow is deep at times.  This year there was 6 feet or so.  At our family's cottage there was drifts over 10 feet high, luckily that's not where I fish.  Wheels will not be the best option for me however I am considering framing with 2x4's for the walls (2x4 on every 48" with 1x4s filling in the rest.  This might be a brute of a shack but we have a couple of bearcats and a skandic to haul it with.  I'm planning on pulling it off the lake after each weekend, only because my winter fishing is very sporadic.  Once I start, I will post some pictures!

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2013, 09:45 AM »
I bought all the materials and should be starting next week (later in the week).  Will post pictures when started!

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Can't wait to see it. :tipup: :icefish:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I'm excited to see. ;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Welcome to Shanty. Look forward to watching this thread.

WS

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2013, 07:39 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c232hpnuzmuv39k/PWr76X2Ytq

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tf7olyupocbb5mq/129yqpS5FV

I started by building skis from 2x10s spaced 12" apart (outside measurements) with pressure treated plywood screwed to the bottom. I made a few cuts with the circular saw to score the skis and allow the plywood to bend, then I screwed 1/4" HDPE to the bottom of each ski.  There is about 3/4" extra plastic hanging out each side. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Those should work great, are you going to cap the ends some how?

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Definitely going to cap the ends, whether it be with plywood, 2x6, plastic or tin.  I don't want the skis filling up with snow or ice.  What do people skin the bottom of their ice shacks with?  The guy I got the plastic from gave me some "plastic cardboard" that I thought would be good enough to hold in the Styrofoam.  That will cover the remaining cavity of the skis as well. 

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2014, 11:20 PM »
My build was put on hold due to the crazy cold and snow this winter.  I bought an 8x12 instead and will convert my partially completed shack into a new outhouse for our cottage. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:25 PM »
How about posting some pictures of the new crapper build!

This time of year we will take anything 

WS

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I will, but still 2 feet of snow   Too bad walleye season closes on the 15th (3 feet of ice too)

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Went ice fishing for perch last weekend on Lake Superior
. Had to use an extension.  Have fished from a boat by April 14th in past years. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.