The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Old Spoon type auger  (Read 9366 times)

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Old Spoon type auger
« on: Nov 15, 2005, 02:39 PM »
i was just given 2 old spoon type augers. One has the normal smooth blade and the other has a chipper  style head. Neither one has a name or any writing on them. I have never used one, but i might give it a try this year just to see how well they work. I was wondering if these would be worth anything or if i should just hang them on the wall in the garage as decoration? I can post pictures if you would like to see them.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Old Spoon type auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Doooh, will a moderator move this up to the auger section please. Thank you

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005, 03:32 PM »
slipbob i have 2 lazers nad just bought a eskimo, I will just give it a try to see how my grandpa did it.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2005, 06:00 AM »
I still use mine and have no regrets but i only drill about 5 holes a day. there is a man somewhere in the midwest that sharpens and mails them back for less than $10. if i'd ever find a great bargian on a gas one i would change but till then i'll keep using it. in my area we frequently get close to 2 feet of ice and it is some exercise at times.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:33 AM »
the first time I saw one of those, I wondered how in the heck it would ever cut a hole in the ice....I hope its a long time before I see another one....Grump :P

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:25 AM »
If kept sharp, those old spoon type augers will out cut a Mora hand auger. We don't useally get more than 12" to 16" of ice. (north Pa.) So when scouting out  new waters. I have often used the spoon auger rather than lug the power auger around.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:38 AM »
I remember my uncle ( who got me started ice fishing) using one of those as a youngster in the 60's. At that time that was about as high tech as you could get other than using a spud bar. He handed it down to me when he got a new Mora. I didn't get out all that much as a teen and had  put it away. When reviving the old ice itch in my early 20s it came out of retirement for a trip or 2. Gave up on it after sweating my arse off and only going thru a 1/4 inch of ice in what seemed like forever. Time and technology have greatly advanced since that time- thank god. So your best bet would just be to hang that on a wall ( garage, basement, etc.) for nostalgia purposes.

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:52 AM »
Anyone have a pic of an old-school spoon auger?
I'm just curious to see one...

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:20 AM »
I did a Google image search and a yahoo image search and found nothing.

Here is a current ebay auction for one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Snabb-Mora-Borren-2-Ice-Fishing-Auger-Sweden_W0QQitemZ7197712430QQcategoryZ793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Thanks! I think a spud bar would be more efficient.  :o

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:55 AM »
I had a spoon auger. It had to be kept very sharp to work. It was a bit better than a spud but not much. Pretty slow but easier on the arms than chipping.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Old Spoon type auger ( picture added)
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:09 AM »
has anyone seen one with a chipper style head? Here i just took a picture of them. they need cleaned and painted.

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2005, 08:26 PM »
I still use mine and have no regrets but i only drill about 5 holes a day. there is a man somewhere in the midwest that sharpens and mails them back for less than $10. if i'd ever find a great bargian on a gas one i would change but till then i'll keep using it. in my area we frequently get close to 2 feet of ice and it is some exercise at times.

I figured you'd chime in...Your the only guy I know in the tri-state area that still uses one :P :P :P w_w.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2005, 08:44 PM »
If kept sharp and especially if the shape wasn't lost they would cut circles around a mora.
Mine hangs proudly above my old green box, plenty of memories with those two. Loved to play soccer with the cores when waiting for flags many years ago.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2005, 09:12 AM »
I figured you'd chime in...Your the only guy I know in the tri-state area that still uses one :P :P :P w_w.

Brian:
it also helps when blue drills the holes. i don't break a sweat then.  i'm ready for presque isle. i've got some shanty screws to hold it down and i'm in the process of building a pvc frame on skis to haul the shanty in snow. now all i need is some ice.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:11 PM »
I used to have an old spoon auger, and when it was sharp it cut faster than any drill bit types.  Mind we never had more than a foot of ice.  Their downfall was that they were a bear to sharpen.  One only put an edge on one side.  If the other side was messed with or dinged, it was shot for good.

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.