Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Visit Auger Tow Enterprises Website
Auger Tow
Nov 01, 2014, 05:01 AM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Old Spoon type auger  (Read 3028 times)

ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular

Old Spoon type auger
« on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:39 PM »
i was just given 2 old spoon type augers. One has the normal smooth blade and the other has a chipper  style head. Neither one has a name or any writing on them. I have never used one, but i might give it a try this year just to see how well they work. I was wondering if these would be worth anything or if i should just hang them on the wall in the garage as decoration? I can post pictures if you would like to see them.

ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Old Spoon type auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Doooh, will a moderator move this up to the auger section please. Thank you

ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005, 02:32 PM »
slipbob i have 2 lazers nad just bought a eskimo, I will just give it a try to see how my grandpa did it.

davef

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2005, 05:00 AM »
I still use mine and have no regrets but i only drill about 5 holes a day. there is a man somewhere in the midwest that sharpens and mails them back for less than $10. if i'd ever find a great bargian on a gas one i would change but till then i'll keep using it. in my area we frequently get close to 2 feet of ice and it is some exercise at times.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2005, 06:33 AM »
the first time I saw one of those, I wondered how in the heck it would ever cut a hole in the ice....I hope its a long time before I see another one....Grump :P

Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:25 AM »
If kept sharp, those old spoon type augers will out cut a Mora hand auger. We don't useally get more than 12" to 16" of ice. (north Pa.) So when scouting out  new waters. I have often used the spoon auger rather than lug the power auger around.

Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:38 AM »
I remember my uncle ( who got me started ice fishing) using one of those as a youngster in the 60's. At that time that was about as high tech as you could get other than using a spud bar. He handed it down to me when he got a new Mora. I didn't get out all that much as a teen and had  put it away. When reviving the old ice itch in my early 20s it came out of retirement for a trip or 2. Gave up on it after sweating my arse off and only going thru a 1/4 inch of ice in what seemed like forever. Time and technology have greatly advanced since that time- thank god. So your best bet would just be to hang that on a wall ( garage, basement, etc.) for nostalgia purposes.

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:52 AM »
Anyone have a pic of an old-school spoon auger?
I'm just curious to see one...

Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:20 AM »
I did a Google image search and a yahoo image search and found nothing.

Here is a current ebay auction for one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Snabb-Mora-Borren-2-Ice-Fishing-Auger-Sweden_W0QQitemZ7197712430QQcategoryZ793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:43 AM »
Thanks! I think a spud bar would be more efficient.  :o

Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:55 AM »
I had a spoon auger. It had to be kept very sharp to work. It was a bit better than a spud but not much. Pretty slow but easier on the arms than chipping.

ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Old Spoon type auger ( picture added)
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:09 AM »
has anyone seen one with a chipper style head? Here i just took a picture of them. they need cleaned and painted.

worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie

• Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I still use mine and have no regrets but i only drill about 5 holes a day. there is a man somewhere in the midwest that sharpens and mails them back for less than $10. if i'd ever find a great bargian on a gas one i would change but till then i'll keep using it. in my area we frequently get close to 2 feet of ice and it is some exercise at times.

I figured you'd chime in...Your the only guy I know in the tri-state area that still uses one :P :P :P w_w.

Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:44 PM »
If kept sharp and especially if the shape wasn't lost they would cut circles around a mora.
Mine hangs proudly above my old green box, plenty of memories with those two. Loved to play soccer with the cores when waiting for flags many years ago.

davef

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:12 AM »
I figured you'd chime in...Your the only guy I know in the tri-state area that still uses one :P :P :P w_w.

Brian:
it also helps when blue drills the holes. i don't break a sweat then.  i'm ready for presque isle. i've got some shanty screws to hold it down and i'm in the process of building a pvc frame on skis to haul the shanty in snow. now all i need is some ice.

rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:11 PM »
I used to have an old spoon auger, and when it was sharp it cut faster than any drill bit types.  Mind we never had more than a foot of ice.  Their downfall was that they were a bear to sharpen.  One only put an edge on one side.  If the other side was messed with or dinged, it was shot for good.

rivereddy

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved