The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy spitting parts out  (Read 1710 times)

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jiffy spitting parts out
« on: Mar 17, 2013, 05:34 PM »
So just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what I am looking at for cost to fix. Over the year warranty by 3 months :(. Model 34 stx stealth 8 inch now has gears sticking out the bottom of it. Happened while drilling bad ice.  Wondering if its worth it to fix or tell jiffy to pump sand and buy something else??? 3 months over warranty and they won't look at me. In my opinion a 600 dollar auger should make at least 2 seasons and this one didn't.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jiffy spitting parts out
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2013, 11:43 PM »
If you have gears sticking out I could only imagine what other damage exists inside that you can't see.  In my opinion fixing this would become a money pit the deeper you got into it.  I'd tell Jiffy to stuff their auger and buy an Eskimo.  A heck of a lot cheaper and just as good quality if you ask me.   I am curious how this happened and what you mean by bad ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:39 AM »
Well BigK, that brief description, "Bad ice", allows my imagination to play games with my feeble mind, and what I see is layers of ice with soft ice or water as a separator, which, when hit at full bore, allows revs to increase between layers and lock-up the cutter down in the next layer.

This tells me, you have a clutch with zero slip. Is it modified with crosshatch marks?

And, if you were forcing it with downward pressure, well, not an accusation, if that's true, I'll wait for you to fess-up.

The gearbox took the shock and showed you it's contents. What an ugly sight.    :sick:

Would you care to give us a little more detail, BigK ? We can then offer a better insight.     ;)2

Eskimos have red augers like mine.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Right on the ol' money, 'gator!!! Kinda like Don Garlits in the 60's, huh? Hope yer foots OK... :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Maybe you need to talk to Jiffy again. From what I read here, Your auger has a one year warranty on the engine, two years on the gear case and three years on the blades. I'm pretty sure you don't have gears hanging out of the engine, but then again................. ......

Model 34, Stealth STX with Tecumseh Engine

3 YR Limited Warranty on STXTM Blades

Engine - 3HP Tecumseh Engine
HST High Speed Transmission - This transmission is a High Speed Drilling Performance only Jiffy® can provide. 
STEALTH STX™ Cutting Technology - Serrated RipperTM Blade and Power Point Blades - last 2-3 times longer than any blade on the market.
STEALTH STX™ 1-2-3 LIMITED WARRANTY, the only ice drill to offer 1 Year Limited Warranty on the engine, 2 Year Limited Warranty on the gearbox, and 3 Year STEALTH STXTM blade sharpening or a blade replacement limited warranty.
Black D-Ice'r ARMOR™ - prevents power-robbing ice build-up for fast clean cutting performance.
Five Cutting Surfaces - makes this the fastest and smoothest cutting Jiffy® drill ever built.
Mitten Grip Recoil Handle
Available in 8", 9", and 10" Drill Assemblies

Jiffy STX Pro II Model 34 Ice Drill/Auger

$30.00 Off All Remaining Jiffy STX Pro II Model 34 Ice Drill/Augers! Regular Price $439.95, Now $409.95! While Supplies Last.

The Jiffy STX Pro II Model 34 Ice Drill/Auger features a large 52cc engine that provides ice anglers the ultimate in power and torque. The Stealth STX serrated ripper blade system with power point gives you an auger blade that lasts 2-3 times longer than any other blade system on the market. The STX Pro II Model 34 is great for initial drilling as well as redrilling of iced over holes. The HTT (High Torque Transmission), Jiffy's proven heavy-duty clutch and optimum gear ratio, transfers more engine energy for additional torque.

The STX Pro II Model 34 Ice Drill/Auger also features Jiffy's black D-Ice'r ARMOR which prevents power-robbing ice build-up for fast clean cutting performance. Coupled with the five cutting surfaces on the serrated STX Ripper Blade, this is one of the fastest and smoothest cutting Jiffy drills ever built. The included Easy Snap blade protector, see-through fuel tank and comfort grip handles make operation easy and comfortable.

These augers also feature Jiffy's 1-2-3 WARRANTY. This gives you a 1 Year Warranty on the engine, a 2 Year Warranty on the gearbox, and a 3 Year blade sharpening or a blade replacement warranty.

We carry the STX Pro II Model 34 Ice Drill/Auger in 8" and 9" sizes. Specifications for these models are listed below.

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Yes layers of soft ice and water. There was no forcing it. That's one thing I loved about my jiffy it pulled itself down. Thanks for reminder of the 1 2 3 warranty. I will be having a little talk with jiffy. It did not spit gears out there is just a shaft sticking out the bottom of the plastic gear case. I to can only imagine what else is wrong inside. 

Thanks for help guys I will give them a call right now and tell you how it goes.

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:16 AM »
That case is really simple, not a lot beyond the clutch and main gear.  Might not be as bad as you think

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 01:29 PM »
So just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what I am looking at for cost to fix. Over the year warranty by 3 months :(. Model 34 stx stealth 8 inch now has gears sticking out the bottom of it. Happened while drilling bad ice.  Wondering if its worth it to fix or tell jiffy to pump sand and buy something else??? 3 months over warranty and they won't look at me. In my opinion a 600 dollar auger should make at least 2 seasons and this one didn't.
Made in China, gotta love it!  If you replace it go with a Tanaka or husqvarna, tanaka is made in Japan, husqvarna in Sweden
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong love my jiffy. It's a piece of equipment they break regardless of brand or where they are made. I would be looking at probably 800 for a husqvarna. That would make 1500 in lat 2 years................. :o............. ???.............. >:(.
 Those would be the wife's reactions ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I'm on my second Jiffy in the last thirty plus years and that speaks for itself. My first auger blew a corner out of the crank case on about the twentieth hole I drilled and wasn't a Jiffy so I switched brands.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:46 PM »
It would be cool to see some pictures....

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2013, 12:22 AM »
I will take some never posted might take me awhile. Itis just one small shaft sticking out bottom of gear case. It sill spins but my flighting sure doesnt ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.