The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.  (Read 10570 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
 I have heard lots of good things about nils, jiffy's, and strikemasters, but what is the best one for the price? I want a auger that will last a long time that has quality. Also a lighter model if possible.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Well Nils has the longest motor history ( 30+ years) SM and Jiffy only have 5-7 seasons on their new motors so we don't know how long they will last....Lightest is the Nils heaviest will be the Jiffy....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Well if your in the IGL's area let me know you can see mine in action, also a baitshop in the lakes area has one....

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Hands down the Tanaka, actually made in Japan! this is the nils bigger brother in action with a 10"
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:51 PM »
The Tanaka probably has the best reputation for longevity. Its not a "nils" its a Tanaka. Nils just pairs them with their auger bit.

The powerhead retails for $559 and the auger bit is around $120. This time of year you can find the powerhead on sale at a lot of places for around $450.

The bad part is that they are tall. If you are not 6' or taller you will be drilling with the motor at eye level which strains the arms after a long day.

And another bad thing is that they are a lower gear ratio than the rest (why they are faster) so you cannot purchase a bigger bit from another brand and expect it to work for very long. For instance, you couldnt go buy a strikemaster 10" bit and use it on your Tanaka.

So you are pretty much stuck with using the nils bits or small strikemaster bits (4-6").

You are in SD which is known for its wind blown lakes. The wind will blow sediment from the fields onto the lakes and your nils auger bit will last about 5 holes. If you do some searching you will find videos where the big names in ice fishing explain blade choice. They all say they never use shavers in SD/ND because they last very very few holes. They all use chippers which can cut through that dirty ice like its nothing. If you try to drill on one of those wind blown lakes (and how many lakes in SD are NOT wind blown? lol) you will find your nils being very poor, if it even makes it through the first day.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:09 PM »
The Tanaka probably has the best reputation for longevity. Its not a "nils" its a Tanaka. Nils just pairs them with their auger bit.

The powerhead retails for $559 and the auger bit is around $120. This time of year you can find the powerhead on sale at a lot of places for around $450.

The bad part is that they are tall. If you are not 6' or taller you will be drilling with the motor at eye level which strains the arms after a long day.

And another bad thing is that they are a lower gear ratio than the rest (why they are faster) so you cannot purchase a bigger bit from another brand and expect it to work for very long. For instance, you couldnt go buy a strikemaster 10" bit and use it on your Tanaka.

So you are pretty much stuck with using the nils bits or small strikemaster bits (4-6").

You are in SD which is known for its wind blown lakes. The wind will blow sediment from the fields onto the lakes and your nils auger bit will last about 5 holes. If you do some searching you will find videos where the big names in ice fishing explain blade choice. They all say they never use shavers in SD/ND because they last very very few holes. They all use chippers which can cut through that dirty ice like its nothing. If you try to drill on one of those wind blown lakes (and how many lakes in SD are NOT wind blown? lol) you will find your nils being very poor, if it even makes it through the first day.
What are you talking about, look at the link above, I am using a tanaka with a strikemaster 10" bit through 40+ inches,  this is on windblown lake winnipeg!  And, I have drilled 400-500 holes with is combo with no issues??  Like I said earlier this is not the tanaka that on the nils, its slightly larger, 1.6 hp and 33cc, this power head is so strong!  And it has a very close gear ratio to the strikemaster, thats why it works so well!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:18 PM »

And another bad thing is that they are a lower gear ratio than the rest (why they are faster) so you cannot purchase a bigger bit from another brand and expect it to work for very long. For instance, you couldn't go buy a strikemaster 10" bit and use it on your Tanaka.

Wait a minute. in another thread you described the nils as a flat blade design, now it is a shaver blade design?  Face it, you know nothing of what you speak or you just do this on purpose to incite an argument.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Nils comes in both 48" and standard 42" augers....My wifes 5' nothing and has no problem with my 48" ?Nils auger....

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I have a couple friends that have a nils. They both like them but say they're a little tall and no matter what they do, they leave too much slush in the holes. They drill effortlessly though and are very quick. Ill just stick with Strikemaster for now. 650 bones for an auger is pretty steep. As far as Tanaka durability and reliability, it all depends on how you take care of it. Tecumsehs have been around for a while too and plenty of them are junk. But I know of quite a few that still run like a champ. My Solo will last just as long as the Tanaka I bet.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2013, 10:38 PM »
We have a 30 year old Tanka at work that never been touched and far from being cared for, use it a few times a year never winterize it and always runs.... Started it last week for giggles after it hadnt been started since October, was purring on 2 pulls... We will see about the Solos since they have only been out a few years, already lots of issues with the new Honda, most things made today arent made to last forever, they are made to last awhile so we need to replace them.... You say $650 is hight ( more like $575 I think at Stans, Mine was $500 from there) but if you never need to replace it you saved money... Also just what you save on gas over several years makes a difference, I drilled over 100 holes on my Tanaka last weekend, started with a full tank ( 2nd of the season) and still 7/8 of a tank left... I have filled my buddys stikemaster 3 times and I know he has filled it 2-3 times at Shucks, he drilled about the same as me over the weekend and was well under half a tank and I filled his before we started on Saturday....Not sure what the Solo's drilled for holes or what they used for gas...I dont worry about the slush, by the time I get done drilling a set and shoveling off the slush the holes are refilled....

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:14 PM »
575 for a tanaka is cheap! I paid over a grand after taxes, the power head was $750 plus taxes(http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/main-navigation/products?d=338&p=932) and the strikemaster 10" was $200 plus taxes, plus another $40 for the extension.  But I tell ya, when I raced a new z71 the tanaka made it look like a very loud hand auger!lol

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Oh ya forgot to mention that the handle provides great protection while its bouncing around in the sleigh! It is a little tall but so is every auger needed on lake winnipeg!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:53 AM »
What are you talking about, look at the link above, I am using a tanaka with a strikemaster 10" bit through 40+ inches,  this is on windblown lake winnipeg!  And, I have drilled 400-500 holes with is combo with no issues??  Like I said earlier this is not the tanaka that on the nils, its slightly larger, 1.6 hp and 33cc, this power head is so strong!  And it has a very close gear ratio to the strikemaster, thats why it works so well!

You are talking about a totally different powerhead than I was.
You are talking about a totally different bit than I was.

What are YOU talking about?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:58 AM »

Wait a minute. in another thread you described the nils as a flat blade design, now it is a shaver blade design?  Face it, you know nothing of what you speak or you just do this on purpose to incite an argument.

Nils are a flat blade shaver. The blade design (not really a blade, but a sharpened edge turned into a blade) is flat so it cuts with the whole edge at once. And it is a true shaver blade, cant get any more shaver than a nils.

You know nothing of what YOU speak.

Do some research before telling me I'm stupid. I DO know what I am talking about, most of you do not and when I point it out you claim I'm just here to start an argument. Well you walked right into this one.

Do some research on the powerhead that comes with the nils, it will not work with a 10" auger because there is not enough torque. Nils blades will dull in 2 seconds on dirty ice, (proven by many many topics on this board this season). It is a flat blade (spoken about on here by nils owners all year). It is a shaver style (spoken by many owners and Frank on here). And yet with all these nils owners here proving my point, I do not know what I am talking about. ha
EYECONICFISHING

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:52 AM »
Nils are a flat blade shaver. The blade design (not really a blade, but a sharpened edge turned into a blade) is flat so it cuts with the whole edge at once. And it is a true shaver blade, cant get any more shaver than a nils.

Do some research before telling me I'm stupid. I DO know what I am talking about, most of you do not and when I point it out you claim I'm just here to start an argument. Well you walked right into this one.

Do some research on the powerhead that comes with the nils, it will not work with a 10" auger because there is not enough torque. Nils blades will dull in 2 seconds on dirty ice, (proven by many many topics on this board this season). It is a flat blade (spoken about on here by nils owners all year). It is a shaver style (spoken by many owners and Frank on here). And yet with all these nils owners here proving my point, I do not know what I am talking about. ha
Yes different power head, but if the nils tanaka is anything close to this beast it would have more than enough! Just speculation!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2013, 05:50 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:01 AM »
My Solo will last just as long as the Tanaka I bet.

I'll take that bet.

Mine imploded after less than 3 seasons, totaling 5 breakdowns in that time period.  The clutch snapped in half the 5th or 6th time to the ice on season one, and either the transmission destructed or the piston broke a ring the 5th and final time this season.

Craigslist had three other Solo's up for grabs, all with the same snapped ring this past couple weeks up in this area alone.

Maybe the TRUE German made Solo's were good and reliable, but the ones that are "German engineered, made in China" are JUNK.

Contact the auger manufacturer (I won't even mention their name I'm so disgusted with their JUNK) and ask them where their "German made" engines are REALLY made....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Come on guys, we all know ice gators are the best.  :whistle:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Nils comes in both 48" and standard 42" augers....My wifes 5' nothing and has no problem with my 48" ?Nils auger....

I also have the 42in. Very nice. I also have a Mora 6in and 7in for the Tanaka. Those Mora's flat eat ice.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:08 PM »
I do belive Tanaks carry a 7 year warrenty to...Takes about that long just to get it properly broken in....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2013, 07:41 PM »
My Jiffy lite is a 1988, and still going strong. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2013, 07:45 PM »
My Jiffy lite is a 1988, and still going strong.

To bring up anything made other than Tanaka in the last 6-8 years is a mute point since all have changed to different engine makers in that time frame...How they will hold up for 10-20 years is yet to be seen....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Sadly that is too true.  Mine still sports the "Made in America" label.  Not much can do that any more.

I think Strikemaster is using Honda engines now, and I would look to a Tanaka to match up to my Nils hand auger these days if I had to. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:01 PM »
just opened the box last week on a nilsmaster w/6" auger.  drilled a few hundred inches so far am glad i spent the $600 from cabelas.  own a 30yr  old jiffy 3hp 10" and its eaten thousands of inches at bay of quinte without a problem and i wouldn't trade it for a new one, but both power head and auger weigh a ton.   quite a different feel not being over the machine while drilling.  luckily the weight of nils head is enough to drill without downward effort with the 6" but i wouldn't want one in a 10".  i'm 6'3" and still have to hold the nils out in front of me.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Sadly that is too true.  Mine still sports the "Made in America" label.  Not much can do that any more.

I think Strikemaster is using Honda engines now, and I would look to a Tanaka to match up to my Nils hand auger these days if I had to.

Lots of issues to with the Hondas, heard of several locked up....

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I guess my nils hasn't gotten the message on dulling after  5 holes and all i fish is the windblown SD lakes.  Maybe I just get lucky and miss all the dirt.  ;D   Two seasons and going strong.  Light, fast and reliable, love mine.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Ok...I'll throw in my 2 cents.  The best power auger is the one that you can afford.  2 seasons ago all I could afford was an 8" mako from Eskimo.  It runs nice always starts and is still just as sharp after 3 seasons of use as the day I bought it.  I got a great deal right from the ardisam/ Eskimo factory here in cumberland, wi.  It was $230 out the door.  As far as longevity...we' see...but so far after 3 seasons I have had zero problems. 
My point is, buy as much as you can afford and be happy. 

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:13 PM »
7 inch strikemaster solo 2.hp
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Ok...I'll throw in my 2 cents.  The best power auger is the one that you can afford.  2 seasons ago all I could afford was an 8" mako from Eskimo.  It runs nice always starts and is still just as sharp after 3 seasons of use as the day I bought it.  I got a great deal right from the ardisam/ Eskimo factory here in cumberland, wi.  It was $230 out the door.  As far as longevity...we' see...but so far after 3 seasons I have had zero problems. 
My point is, buy as much as you can afford and be happy.
I have an Eskimo, and it has treated me well.  Starts up at -30 and stays sharp if I keep it off the bottom of the lake.  Replacement blades are around $30, and that is half the price of Jiffy.  Last year we drilled over 500' of ice in one trip with it, what's not to love?
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I'm going to be the odd man out here but I think the best auger for the money is an Eskimo.  I've had mine since 2003 and the only thing I've ever done to it was change the spark plug and blades.  Can't beat them for the price if you ask me, I'll always own an Eskimo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.