Author Topic: New vexilar FL X 28  (Read 46808 times)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New vexilar FL X 28
« Reply #150 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I stopped and looked at a 28 in Gander Mountain tonight.  I have fished with Vexilars for the last 20 years and currently use a 22.  My initial impressions were that the screen is definitely very crisp and the unit is virtually silent.  For those of you who are used to listening to a Vex with some miles on it that sounds a bit like a coffee-grinder, this would take some getting used to.  On the downside, I am somewhat color blind and the red and green on the screen gave me a little bit of a headache.  You ever see someone in a really bright striped shirt and the stripes sort of start to pulse when you are looking at them?  That is what I had with the display.  I'm not talking about the actual flasher readings (bottom, jig, fish) I'm talking about all the other stuff that is flashing and blazing on the screen.  The other thing that makes me want to walk away is the "demo" mode.  Seriously?  Is there another feature you could have built in?  Seems like a waste of space, time and effort to me.  I don't get it.

are you aware the last color option of the 5 color options on this unit is for color blind people. the colors when set to this are Red, White, & Blue. if you didn't check that out I would go look at it again and turn the dial to the "CS" position and then press the gain button until you get to this color option and see if that helps you .
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #151 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Yes, I knew that you could change the colors on this but I think it is just for the "signals" you get back like the jig, the fish, etc.  I'm talking about the inner dial that lights up, the words that travel around the screen, etc. 

Maybe I've officially "gotten old".  I'm a die-hard Vex fan, but my first impression was that they are starting to cross a line between "fish-finder" and video game.  Messages scrolling across the screen, "demo mode"......that is where you start to lose me.  Starts to feel more like a "toy" than a "tool". 

But, I also laughed when the first cell phones came out with cameras in them.  I remember thinking that was crazy.  Who wants/needs a camera in their cell phone?  I had a bit of a swing and a miss on that too....
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #152 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Most new flashers have a demo mode, it's awesome for explaining how to read a flasher to someone that is new to them.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Yes, I knew that you could change the colors on this but I think it is just for the "signals" you get back like the jig, the fish, etc.  I'm talking about the inner dial that lights up, the words that travel around the screen, etc. 

Maybe I've officially "gotten old".  I'm a die-hard Vex fan, but my first impression was that they are starting to cross a line between "fish-finder" and video game.  Messages scrolling across the screen, "demo mode"......that is where you start to lose me.  Starts to feel more like a "toy" than a "tool". 

But, I also laughed when the first cell phones came out with cameras in them.  I remember thinking that was crazy.  Who wants/needs a camera in their cell phone?  I had a bit of a swing and a miss on that too....

Not sure why your hung up on the demo mode. If the inner dial display is different when in fishing mode what's the hang up?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #154 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:59 AM »
If u think the FLX28 is like a video game what do u think of the LX7? LOL  ;D

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Its easy to see why companies can never win the battle of public opinion.   One group says they didn’t do enough, then another group says they went too far.  LOL

The Demo mode is obviously flaky and unnecessary to people who have spent any amount of time using a flasher, but you have to admit it’s a nice addition to show someone new to the sport how the thing works with a simple turn of the dial and there is a fish there taking the bait every time. :)

Personally, I have to say the more I look at 28, the more I like it.  The face of the thing is so unobtrusive compared to previous Vex models, its just sleek and sexy.

Wait, did I just call a flasher sexy?   Dang…..

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #156 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:56 AM »
hey 74 Iceshanty folks are always welcome around here.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Nov 23, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Hey toofuss where do you get in my posts that  I said someone just not welcome here? I am sorry if I offended but I dont see anywhere where I would have said something to offend someone.
 Matt

hey 74 Iceshanty folks are always welcome around here.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Nov 23, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I hope the depth and mode display towards the center of the screen does not move around the dial while on the ice. That would annoy the hell out of me.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #159 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:50 AM »
All I'm going to say is nobody is going to be disappointed with their FLX28, I cant believe how good this thing works. On a spot that I couldnt read 18-24" of bottom with my bird because of rocks and a sharp drop, I can now watch myself lay my jigging spoon on the bottom.. full visibility!

I didnt have enough time to mess around with settings, all I did was stick it in Auto and it did all the work.. love it.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #160 on: Nov 26, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Thanks for the update Layne! Can not wait to get mine out on the ice! Come on cold weather!  ;)
Matt

Offline cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Nov 26, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Been waiting to see the 28 go "on sale".  New to the sport, and ice is starting to form.  Does anyone think we'll be seeing discounted sale prices anytime soon, or should I go ahead an bite now...

Wishful thinking?
Thanks,

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Nov 26, 2013, 05:24 PM »
They won't go on sale until February if there are any left. A lot of new items like the FLX28 sell out before the end of the season. I bought mine in sept. IMO I would buy now and enjoy it this season. Good luck!
Matt

quote author=cdroessler link=topic=257073.msg2709895#msg2709895 date=1385507480]
Been waiting to see the 28 go "on sale".  New to the sport, and ice is starting to form.  Does anyone think we'll be seeing discounted sale prices anytime soon, or should I go ahead an bite now...

Wishful thinking?
Thanks,
[/quote]

Offline cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Nov 26, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Looks like I'll be going out on black friday after all.  Thanks 74redzone!!!

Offline cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Couldn't wait, or maybe I just hate black friday - just ordered on line!!!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #165 on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Lol! I completely understand. I asked a guy at Scheels last weekend and he said the fl8 were going to be on sale but nothing else. By the way they were sold out of the FLX 28. Did u get the propack or the ultra?
Matt

Couldn't wait, or maybe I just hate black friday - just ordered on line!!!

Offline cdroessler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Ultrapack Matt, wife actually talked me into it.

Ready for the ice now!
Chuck

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I will be watching for updates on the unit. When I first looked at one on display, my initial reaction was that it was very cool. My second reaction was that I that the colors seem to be kind of like flashing lights. I know there are different settings but I didn't really find one that I liked better than my 22. Guess I will stick with my 22 for this year and stay tuned.
KeepfishN4fun

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Very nice! I got the propack and wish I would have got the ultra pack. I really like the float holder. I will be heading up that way as soon as the ice thickens up. My wife has an uncle in Janesville. I look u up and we will hit some ice if ur interested.
Matt

Ultrapack Matt, wife actually talked me into it.

Ready for the ice now!
Chuck

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #169 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:12 PM »
I will be watching for updates on the unit. When I first looked at one on display, my initial reaction was that it was very cool. My second reaction was that I that the colors seem to be kind of like flashing lights. I know there are different settings but I didn't really find one that I liked better than my 22. Guess I will stick with my 22 for this year and stay tuned.

Does not pick up well on video, I tried to make one but it didnt turn out good either. By far the nicest flasher display I have ever seen, with the least interference.

FLX-28 will definitely get all the marcum guys worked up.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #170 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Nice I'm hoping to take my FLX28 for a great test drive on Friday and it should be a good test for the weed mode because the big blue gill and bass pond I go to on first is very weedy and only 5' deep so it should give it a good test but my only concern is will it sink or float the ice down on that pond tonight was only 2" or less in thickness 
Never to many short poles

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #171 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I'll have mine out all weekend, I will try and post a better review ASAP.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Nov 30, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Out with the old. In with the new.

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I had the 12 went to the 20. Then went with the 22. I liked the 20 for the type of fishing I do better than the 22. I will have to test drive the 28 when I see one out there. Maybe?
Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #174 on: Nov 30, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Some of my friends up north are using the 28 and are fishing the weed beds with excellent results and if the wife wasn't so close to having our baby I would be right up there with them . They were catching fish in the weeds that other guys couldn't see Wow I can't wait  ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #175 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I'm absolutely in love with mine, they have so much power its unreal. Even the lowest gain setting is almost too much for the size of lures I use in 30 FOW, I couldn't believe that I almost had to consider using low power mode at those depths.

I probably iced 120 walleye with mine this weekend, the biggest was my new personal best.. 13.5 pounds!!

:tipup:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #176 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Adding the demo mode was somthing they should have done YEARS ago. Hard for a retailer to show a customer what the unit looks like with no demo mode. I know for a fact they have lost sales due to that fact alone.

For you guys that have used the unit through the ice. When marking a small spoon in say 10 ft of water,how many inches of the water column dose the jig take up?

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Just wondering if the FL X 28 users are still happy with them. I really haven't been in love with my 22 since I got it and thinking about a change.
KeepfishN4fun

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #178 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I didn't think it would be better than my fl20.but the flx28 rocks. crisp/clear display even in the sun unlike my glare screen of the fl20 during the day.runs forever on a charge,weed mode in shallow weed filled water works great.auto mode for easy setup/quick.the different color pallets are great I like mode 3.ive ran the flx28 for around 40 hours without any troubles so far.

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I didn't think it would be better than my fl20.but the flx28 rocks. crisp/clear display even in the sun unlike my glare screen of the fl20 during the day.runs forever on a charge,weed mode in shallow weed filled water works great.auto mode for easy setup/quick.the different color pallets are great I like mode 3.ive ran the flx28 for around 40 hours without any troubles so far.
Thanks! I am beginning to wonder if the 22 is no longer made for a reason?
KeepfishN4fun

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.