Author Topic: What does your name mean?  (Read 61670 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
What does your name mean?
« on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Hi guys, I am seeing lots of neat name here on iceshanty, and have been wondering how you all came up with your names?
For my name is the English translation for the northern pike's scientific name.
Esox lucius means Water Wolf.
I chose this name because the pike was the first fish I ever caught, since then I was hooked on this great sport, and go when ever I can. In my area pike are some of the most widely distributed and aggressive fish, they are the ones that will usually bite when no one else will. They will always give you a good fight no matter there size and are one of my favorate fish to eat.
In short I like northern pike. ;D ;)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What does your name mean?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:36 PM »
I think I recall seeing this same post last year if I remember right?!?  Was a fun one too - although I can't remember if I posted mine or not?!?!!!

Anyways, mine is for the lake that I primarily fish, that being Waubay Lake.  I've been fishing the lake for quite a few years now, am there probably every weekend during spring, summer, and fall - and hopefully more during the coming winters, and I of course have a lot of great memories there with my family and friends. 

On a 2nd reasoning for my name, if I recall correct, I belive some of it had to do with a time restraint issue as I had to hurry up and register so I could post a question!!!!    :woot:

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:45 PM »
mine was a quickie decision... i wanted to register for another site along time ago, and had to come up with a name and password!
oak orchard is a river/creek in western NY that i like to fish. and i like to fish king salmon there!
so on a quick judgement, i came up with oakorchardfishking...
everyone just calls me oak though. its much simpler!  ;D

Offline ohiowoody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:49 PM »
i am from ohio although i do all my fishing in michigan in the lenawee county area.
the woody part comes my job. i sell wood specialty items like screw hole plugs,
wood balls and dowels.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005, 12:14 AM »
Northwoodsice...  I grew up in the northern part of Wisconsin, where i was introduced to icefishing by a good friend on a lake that had about 22" of black ice that year and I will always remember the Northwoodsice.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005, 12:23 AM »
I've had all the typical bear analogies used to describe me at one point in time or another.  My wife says I sleep like a bear, snore like a bear and I'm a bear in the morning but most of all she says I'm just a big teddy bear, my wrestling coach once told me I wrestle like a bear, I protect my cubs with the ferocity of a bear and I've been told I'm hairy as a bear.  The Kodiak is my favorite bear soooo.......

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:55 AM »
I'm gone fishing. Friends say if I'm not home then I'm gone fishing.

Incidentally right now I'm 3500 miles away from my home and I'm gone hunting ;D

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:57 AM »
I think I recall seeing this same post last year if I remember right?!?  Was a fun one too - although I can't remember if I posted mine or not?!?!!!

Ya saw it on MFF this summer:  http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=7215.0

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:19 AM »
I took my name because ice fishing always means eelpout festival is coming.  It a festival where 2500 people camp one the ice trying to catch the biggest eelpout, get a buzz, jump into a huge hole cut in the ice, race cars on the ice, and about 50 other events.  Look it up on the net, you go once, you are hooked!  (no pun intended) 

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:23 AM »
SleePac

Last name is Sleeman (Slee).  2nd half (Pac) comes from a bunch of wise-in-heimer buddies who added the Pac from Tu-Pac Shakur.

It's stuck and I can't seem to shake it!

I'm white....with no rhythm....it's better than Seaman, though....wouldn't you agree?

Bite your tongues smart-arshes!

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:23 AM »
Well  ;D "Camo" I wear alot of camo since I can a kid, I love hunting, fishing, and was in the USMC as a grunt and I just love wearing "camo"
And "fish" do I need to say more  ::) my #1 love, shhhhhh don't let my wife know  ;) yea she knows and it drives her crazy.  ;D
So "camo_fish" gee, I think it fits.  ;)  ;D

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:08 AM »
Actually, I much prefer the "Y" name.

We definitely need to hook up on the ice this winter.
Jeff and I want to fish Bradock's Bay and Irondequoit Bay.

My name is such because it is my name.
Nothing mystical here.
Saves a lot of trouble.

Mac

lol... some people here know me as yogi, but not too many!
i was going to change it to that along time ago, but everyone started calling me oak so i left it!

sounds like a plan for hooking up this winter... but its never to early for braddocks! i will be there this weekend!

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:12 AM »
My first name is Dan, my middle initial is S, and my last name is Matuska.  I call myself The Lucky Man (reason:  check my sig.)
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:56 AM »
Ya saw it on MFF this summer:  http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=7215.0

Ahhhhh.... I knew I saw it somewhere before!  Good thing I posted it here cause I evidently didn't there!!!! LOL  ;D

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Mine stared by a mistake, I just started with a new company and my boss sent a message to the 12 centers across Canada welcoming "Navid" to the company.....My real name is David...... so the other employes welcomed me by saying it was great to have many different cultures in the company ( they thought I was from India ). After a laugh at his mistake and a correction of my name it didn't matter, from now on I'd be known as Navid. So I wanted an East Indian name that related to fishing, thats how APU GARCIA was created.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:02 AM »
it has been here too but there are many new names on these boards. mine is because im a carpenter and no matter what i build i make sure to "build it right"

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:10 AM »
for mine, my favorite lure for years was a Rapala #13 Floating Husky in crawdad color, and when the Husky Jerks came out, my 2 favorite colors were the crawdad, and the orange crawdad, (still are), and then Rapala stopped making them, so I went to EBAY, set up an account, and started buying them there.  My screen name was ol crawdad, and when I discovered IS and MFF, my nickmane that my friends call me was taken (HOSS), so I just used the EBAY name

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2005, 12:26 PM »
You know what?
Not this weekend.
Saturday I have some wood to split and get moved before the snow starts.
We also need to get Jeff's Chevelle into storage for the winter.
Sunday, I want to spend going over ice fishing gear, drink a few adult beverages, and Buckski says that he may stop over.
Of course I'll believe it when he finally shows.
He's been talking about stopping by for about 9 mos now.

But............how about next weekend.
We can hook up for some fish-n-fun.
And, who knows?
Maybe, just maybe, we'll catch a few fish.
Get back to me sometime wed or thurs next week.

Also, wasn't sure if I should say the "Y" word!

Mac

i'll be going every weekend probably till ice up, weather permitting! this weekend a few others from the websites are coming out as well!
get that chevelle into a warm, dry space and plow a bigger motor in it!  my 16 yr old son kinda did himself bad in high school, so he has been given a second chance by being allowed to study for his GED and go to boces... he is taking auto mechanics classes and he got a big ol' 396 to work on from his uncle! guess he wants either a chevelle or a camaro to stuff it into!   i wish he would have went MOPAR though...lol  ;D

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2005, 02:02 PM »
I came up with my name a long time ago and i dont remember where i got big from but i know why i have big big. It was because i forgot my password for another forum and made a new one with big big. The rdg is just my intials.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I love using dead smelt through the ice, so much so that the people I fish with started calling me deadsmelthead.Plus I like it originality (if thats a word)
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Mine means Stanley Cup winner for 05/06 season. ;D ;D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Mine stared by a mistake, I just started with a new company and my boss sent a message to the 12 centers across Canada welcoming "Navid" to the company.....My real name is David...... so the other employes welcomed me by saying it was great to have many different cultures in the company ( they thought I was from India ). After a laugh at his mistake and a correction of my name it didn't matter, from now on I'd be known as Navid. So I wanted an East Indian name that related to fishing, thats how APU GARCIA was created.

ROTFLMFAO

hali-man

« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Because Hali's rule!
Simple enough...

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2005, 05:49 PM »
My initals are CTEAL so, C=Sea and TEAL is a duck, hence Seaduck.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:24 PM »
i picked jacksmelt because smelt for thier size are vicious little buggers and the jacksmelt is the king of the smelts. looking at a 14in. jacksmelts armament is pretty impressive and the fight of a smelt that size is equivilent to a salmon of equal size. not to mention they are also d**n good eating!

grumpymoe

« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:53 PM »
favorite movie....Grump Old Men.......I could see myself doing the same......so....Grump it was.....I'm not really grumpy........after you get to know me.......(my pics say otherwise)..... ;D ;D

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Found the site trying to find info on a new lake we were going to fish the next day.  I couldn't think of a screen name until I looked out the window and saw the ole Clam in the back of the truck ready for fishing.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:19 PM »
I collect animal skulls when I find them,have 14 skull tattoos and my name is Gary...=...Skulldugary

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2005, 12:01 AM »
My wife thinks sitting on the ice fishing is foolish. But I can't get enough ice fishing. So if I'm afishngfool so be it. STAY WARM afishngfool

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2005, 05:19 AM »
I use two screen names on  various sites. The one that means the most is Hearttxp. Reason being I had a heart transplant in 1998. I was 43 years old at that time. I am doing very well. I enjoy life to the fullest every day. There isn't anything that I can not do. I returned to work full time 6 months after my Txp. I fish all year long on Lake  Erie. I travel to the Florida Keys every winter for a couple of weeks with the wife. But most of all I love to ice fish every chance I get. So Please sign up to be a Organ Donor. It doesn't cost anything and who knows if something bad was to happen to you, you could save someones life, like someone did for me. Please Think about it ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.