The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8" question?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8" question?
« on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I'm a first time auger owner and need help.

I purchased the strikemaster 35cc lite this past fall while dreaming of cutting fresh holes in the ice.
Fast forward to today and no longer are my dreams put forth in reality.

It started after the first trip out. The Spark plug fouled up and wouldnt fire. After replacing the plug. it worked and cut like a champ.

Till yesterday, I went out blue gill fishing hoping to make the ice look like Swiss cheese. After 10 holes, the augers power started to wain. The throttle only produced limited power, regardless of how hard or in what sequence I would push. The drill would cut about half a hole then die out in and fail to turn the shaft. I could pull the auger out of the hole and it would spin freely when throttled. But as soon as I pushed it back down the hole. It would stall out.

I figured it was just overheating so I let it cool. After 5 min i picked it back up and cut two more holes, after the second the auger just dies. I said the heck with it and just went to fishing. After a few hours I wanted to move to a new location. I picked up the auger, gave it a few pulls and nothing. Now I cant even get the auger to start. So I left out of frustration.

I called a customer service rep and they thought it could be a collapsed fuel line. Or water somehow got in the fuel, which I just replaced 2 weeks ago due to the spark plug incident.

This is the first auger I have ever purchased or owned, so any info would greatly be appreciated.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
Re: Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8" question?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Fresh non ethanol gas first. But it sounds like it isn't getting air to breath. I guess if it was me I would check the gas line to see if it was collapsed just like the tech said. Could very well be the problem. Loosen the cap a smidge a see if it runs better.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:17 AM »
This is what I got from Strikemaster regarding my Honda-lite....

"First I need to make sure you only put the 1.7oz bottle of oil in the motor that we provided. If you over fill the motor with oil it will not work well at all. If you did put the correct amount of oil in it, it may be two other problems. The gas cap may not be venting properly. When the auger starts to die, open the gas tank to relieve any pressure that may have built up. If this does not remedy the problem make sure that the black fuel line that exits the back of the gas tank is not being pinched by the black retainer clip that it is run though. If it is being pinched by this, remove the fuel line and run it outside the black retainer clip. Let me know if any of these things help."

Also see this notice bulletin http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aagv_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-rapala-Site/Sites-rapala-Library/default/v1361292055510/downloads/strikemaster/honda_35cc_oil_levels_notice.pdf?id=11

Interestingly enough, I personally know of 3 augers seizing up that had the Strikemaster recommended 1.7 oz of oil in the crank case... all of these augers started out with the same issues you are experiencing. Strikemaster and its authorized repair centers stated these augers were run with insufficient amounts of oil... thus voiding the warranty. One of the augers ran for 1 week.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for all the info,

this pisses me off, I placed the correct amount of oil in the unit, which they provided when I purchased the unit new.

Its only been out on the lake a dozen times, I shouldn't be having these types of issues.

Ive already replaced the fuel with premium gas, should i be putting a cap of seafoam in every tank??

Why would they build and release their product if the fuel line could be getting pinched from the fuel clamp housing! Fing Chinese garbage
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2013, 04:32 PM »
This is what I got from Strikemaster regarding my Honda-lite....

First I need to make sure you only put the 1.7oz bottle of oil in the motor that we provided. If you over fill the motor with oil it will not work well at all. If you did put the correct amount of oil in it, it may be two other problems. The gas cap may not be venting properly. When the auger starts to die, open the gas tank to relieve any pressure that may have built up. If this does not remedy the problem make sure that the black fuel line that exits the back of the gas tank is not being pinched by the black retainer clip that it is run though. If it is being pinched by this, remove the fuel line and run it outside the black retainer clip. Let me know if any of these things help.

Also see this notice bulletin http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aagv_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-rapala-Site/Sites-rapala-Library/default/v1361292055510/downloads/strikemaster/honda_35cc_oil_levels_notice.pdf?id=11

Interestingly enough, I personally know of 3 augers seizing up that had the Strikemaster recommended 1.7 oz of oil in the crank case... all of these augers started out with the same issues you are experiencing. Strikemaster and its authorized repair centers stated these augers were run with insufficient amounts of oil... thus voiding the warranty. One of the augers ran for 1 week.

Now I'm no small engine mechanic and I could be wrong, but don't you vent the gas cap to avoid creating a vacuum instead of building up pressure?

Just thinking more about the message from strikemaster on this issue, sound to me like they don't know what the problem is..it "could" be a pinched line, it "could" be non venting, but we want you guys to figure it out instead of us giving you any serious solutions...get out yer wrenches and figgur it out, and if it blows up, we'll blame you for it.

For the poor guy that made the statement about "chinese junk", I couldn't agree more....and just for kicks, contact strikemaster and ask them if that "Honda" engine is made in Japan, or if it's made in China , just like their "german engineered, made in China" junk freakin' Solo engines are...see if you get a straight answer, my guess is you won't.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Rouser you wont have any issues with the Tanaka.....

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Couldn't agree more!  I bought the tanaka 350, its the nils bigger brother, paid double what I would have paid buying any of the wonderful made in china augers, after using it all season and seeing all the issues with the junk out of china I would easily pay 3X or 4X!  And a 7 year consumer warranty doesn't hurt!!!

Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Well, I got a reply from strikemaster,

Thank you for the email Michael,
I am sorry to hear you have had some issues with the Honda. That is the first spark plug issue I have heard. I think I may know the issue you are having with the lack of power. It could be 3 different issues. First off, make sure you have the correct amount of oil in it. 1.7oz-2.5oz. If you have added more than this I could be building too much pressure.  Most likely this could be the gas cap not venting correctly. Simply open the gas tank to relieve any pressure that may have built up. This seems to be an intermittent problem that only happens every once in a while.
If that doesn't work the next thing to check would be the fuel lines that leave the back of the tank and go to the carb. These lines are ran through a small black clip. Ensure that the fuel line is not being kinked by that clip.

seems to be about the same generic answer they give everyone,

So I did the checks,
  the oils is midway between the bottum of the dipstick and the middle
  I opened the gas cap a little
  I took the fuel line off the clip, which could of been the problem, cause the fuel line was kinked in two directions restricting fuel. I'm not surprised that the line could of collapsed when under heavy use, when positioned how it was.
 Went as far as to clean the spark arrester, spark plug and air filter,

Judgement day is Saturday

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:22 PM »

The Tanaka is great...the blade that shipped with the auger wasn't to impressive... Sent it to Frank and now it makes short work of the ice.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:01 PM »
So I just ordered a new Strikemaster lm-8 and I see they don't use tecumseh anymore, how do you guys like the solo engine?

Offline harleyharry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:04 PM »
You will love the Solo engine. I have had mine for two seasons, this will be my third. This engine is so far advanced from the Tecumseh engine, they cannot even be compared. The only drawback to the auger is opening old holes. I ran Jiffys for years, and open a lot of old holes. The Lazer Mag does not open old holes well.

Hary

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Take great care of the cheap plastic handles.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:20 PM »
 I think you will totally love it
Never to many short poles

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Bought mine  a month ago and finally put it to use a few times. I absolutely love the damn thing. I get a lot of compliments  on it.
KCCO

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Sweet thanks guys appreciate the feedback looking forward to pulling slabs through an 8" hole  ;D and make it easier with all the hammerhandles >:(

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Father In law has had one for 4 years now and it's run great. I've had the lazer pro for 3 years now and love it. Uncle has also had mag for a couple as well. 9 years between the 3 and none of us have ever broken a handle.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Calling the handles "cheap plastic" isn't entirely accurate. Its a fairly high tech polymer made by DuPont and is very impact/cold weather resistant. I've been a Strikemaster guy since Tecumseh went away and Jiffy went with a Chinese engine. The Solo engine is engineered in Germany, but also build in China. I'll take my chances with the track record of Solo. This year I bought my second Strikemaster with a Solo and haven't had an issue to date.

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Great auger, I love mine!

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Calling the handles cheap plastic probably wasn't accurate since they run about $50 a pop. Epic failure on the impact resistant high tech poyimer. I wasn't trying to bum anybody out on a purchase just educate on the fact there is a quality problem with the handles. I own a old school lazer mag auger and IF it ever dies I'd probably still buy the new solo unit. Enjoy the new unit anything is better than hand auger through thick ice.

Offline SD Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:37 AM »
Going on 3 years with mine. No problems and it cuts through the ice fast! You will love it! :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.