Author Topic: Vados bait-never again  (Read 4697 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vados bait-never again
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:33 PM »
i'm not going to order bait from Vados bait anymore. while the maggots i ordered arrived alive and well, it's been about a week and 90% of them have begun their metamorphosis into flies.
i paid $9 plus $26 in shipping for 1000 maggots that i can't use.
before you ask: no, i didn't leave them someplace warm. they've been in the fridge, in the back of the truck, and on the ice.

i had hoped they would last me until at least ice-off, maybe even the bluegill spawn. i don't use a ton of bait when i go fishing, so that was plausible until they all started metamorphosing.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Vados bait-never again
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Something was wrong on your end for sure. They don't just pupate on their own, they have to be driven to it. They were too warm someplace along the way, your fridge could be set too high also.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Back of the truck in the sun maybe??  I order a thousand every yr and I have some just like the day I got them, different supplier though.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:19 PM »
i doubt the back of the truck would have done it, the only time we took them fishing was a pretty cold day and overcast with a little bit of snow.

i checked my fridge just now, and it's set to 34, which isn't nearly enough to start them pupating.

i wouldn't be so angry about it if they had lasted even a couple more weeks. none of the stores around here carry spikes anymore, and even waxworms are getting hard to come by. ordering bait online is my last option, and to have the first batch go bad that quickly is really frustrating.

which supplier do you get yours from, Gills-only? i might give them a try instead.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Jada bait in Wisconsin, remember their price includes shipping!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:25 PM »
thanks, i'll give them a look-see.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:37 PM »
I went through 6000 maggots this winter with no die off other than a few here and there. Not sure what went wrong for you. Some of the guys that ordered with me had troubles but they were from the same batch so I think it would be more of their fault than anyone elses. Vados has always done me right.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I ordered bait from them the first week of December. Maggots and wax worms and they are
Still okay

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:44 PM »
I've made three orders with crittergrub and had great results, cheapest around by far and some of the biggest waxworms and spikes I've ever seen. Still have spikes left from almost 9 weeks ago with no problems. You may already know this, but put the spikes on the bottom level of the fridge but not in the crisper drawers. A 1000 spikes is only 14 bones from them and shipping is free, Vados is seriously over priced. 3000 spikes is only 31.00 -less than you payed for 1000.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:06 PM »
It does not matter where you buy them from, if they all pupate in a couple days it is your fault. What is the temp of your fridge? Not what it is set at, what actually is the temp at the place you put them? I'd be willing to bet 38+.

Did you take them ALL fishing with you? a temp swing will almost always trigger them to pupate. Doesnt have to be a long time at warm temps, just going from cold to warm to cold to warm to cold will do it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dodie4640

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:43 AM »
I work at Vados Bait and we send our Bait fresh.  If you are receiving bait that is in bad shape something definitely happened along the way.  If this ever happens you can call me in the office and I would be happy to assist you.  Dodie Vados Bait Express.....866-584-3474

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:46 AM »
You just replied to a 3 year old post, not sure it's even an issue anymore.
"Balance in all things"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:57 AM »
I work at Vados Bait and we send our Bait fresh.  If you are receiving bait that is in bad shape something definitely happened along the way.  If this ever happens you can call me in the office and I would be happy to assist you.  Dodie Vados Bait Express.....866-584-3474

I'm so glad you spoke up Dodie.     :thumbsup:

So many times an "Archive Miner" digs up past history and you've set the record straight with up to date facts.     :bow:

Live long and prosper.    ;)2

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:55 PM »
I've used Vados bait in the past without issue & will definitely use them again. Great customer service ;) ;D

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:40 PM »
he just could of called i'm sure they'd of resent the order even though it sounds like it was his issue.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Keeping them cold is key, but also reducing their oxygen is important.

So wherever you store them (fridge, etc.) make sure you seal them up very well. First, seal them up tightly in whatever container you have (e.g. bait pucks. etc.), then place into 2 zip lock bags. Try to take out as much air as possible prior to sealing the zip lock bags.

I have ordered spikes online, got them delivered in January, stored them in the fridge inside 2 zip lock bags, and had them still usable in April and May.

Tight lines.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Could have been a shipping issue, where they were exposed to warm temps while in transit.
That way the company can rightfully claim their condition when thy shipped them, and the buyer can claim the condition once received, but if the damage was done in transit, neither would know about it.

Just a possibility...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2016, 07:04 PM »
It may be an old thread, but welcome, dodie4640!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.