The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Securing Lazer hand auger blades  (Read 1380 times)

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Securing Lazer hand auger blades
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Just lost a blade down a hole the other day.  First, I realize I should have been checking the screws on a regular basis.  My question is, should I be putting something like Loc-tite on the threads before securing them?  What do you do?

Thanks!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Securing Lazer hand auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:14 PM »
A drop of silicone sealer.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 02:23 PM »
BBK -

Can you clarify what you mean by this?  Do you mean something like a silicone caulk?  Thanks for the help.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:24 PM »
No, this would be in the glue section of the store. Comes in a little tube. Handy to have around the house. I just put some on the screws and then screw them in. It won't lock them in place or glue the blade down but it will put resistance on the threads so they don't back themselves out. You will be able to unscrew them when needed and the silicone will peel off.

http://www.lifeandhome.com/water-weatherproof-silicone-sealant-3oz.html?gclid=CLXItPGB1bUCFe9aMgod0SsA4Q
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Loc-tite. Won't soften up like silicone. Better yet, use a stainless nut with nylon, called a Nylock nut. We mechanics do.  (If your bolts go thru, if not, the Loctite, which comes in a couple different "grades", depending on how hard you want the item to be able to remove) ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think I will try the loc-tite.  My bolts are flush with surface of blade.  Didn't know about the different "grades" of that product.  Good suggestions both.  Thanks again and here's hoping you guys both get some more hard water time this season.  In western NY it's not looking good and I have limits on the type of ice I will go out on.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Be warned, if you use loctite it will leave a residue in your threads on the blade. You will not be able to do any blade exchange programs, they won't take them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:34 PM »
That's something to consider for sure BBK.  Thanks for the heads up.   Maybe I will give the silicone a go and see how it does.   Thanks again to both of you.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Since your using a strikemaster, you probably dont swap out the blades, you just get them sharpened. If you had a Nils or something that may be an issue.

I also put some loc tite on the bolt holding the auger to the handle. Dont do this if u telescope it at all.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:33 PM »
 Buy the swedish blades they came with new screws that hold a lot better. You are the second person I have seen break blades on a hand auger with the chinese ones. Assuming you haven't bought the Swedish ones.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2013, 05:57 AM »
Ive also used a drop of clear male polish.  It pops off like a scab when you remove the screw, and what little residue is cleaned with male polish remover.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I have a Normark Finbore 3, 8", same blades as a Lazer, and have noticed a difference with cutting performance related to how I postion the blade when installing and screw tightening sequence.  This may not make sense the way I describe it but best performance was achieved by putting both screws into the blade so that it is loose and can be moved around within the slop of the holes in the auger flight.  I position the inboard end of the blade to extend away from the auger base, pushing it towards the sharp side and pivot the outboard edge towards the back of the blade then while holding the blade in that position I tighten the inboard screw which has a dab of clear fingernail polish on the threads as noted earlier by kb then tighten the outboard screw with dab of polish.  They don't loosen up and the cutting seems better than when I randomly put them on.  Removing the screws with the dab of polish has never been a problem as it is not as agressive as some og the Lock-tight products.  I tried different installing sequences because I was having inconsistent cutting performance when removing/installing sharpened blades.  I also put the dab of nail polish on the small screws in my fishing reels after cleaning the reels so the screws don't loosen up and fall out.  A little dab on the head and edge of the reel case and they hold tight and if it was to loosen up you can see the polish is chipped off.

Anyone else notice cutting performance inconsistancy when installing blades and what worked best for you?

Cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.