The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Can someone set me straight on the jiffy carb settings? Model 30  (Read 7057 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have seen conflicting information from people that seem to know what they are talking about regarding the baseline settings for the jiffy 30 carbs.

Look at post #16 in this thread: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=41368.0

Guy seems to know what he is talking about. 1/4 turn out low speed, 1-1/4 turn out on high speed.

Check the 1st response in this thread. Even has a diagram that looks like it's out of a manual: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=97739.msg955099#msg955099

Picture tells me 1-1/4 turn out low speed, 5/8-3/4 turn out on high speed.

I could post a half dozen others from people that sure look like they know what they are talking about, but I won't.

Can someone tell me what the setting are supposed to be to start? I am having a terrible time getting my auger to run.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Run is a general question when it comes to engines.

Does it start?

Does it start, but doesn't idle?  (Set low speed @ 1/4 turn as baseline, then adjust @ 1/8 turns until smooth idle)

Won't run at high speed? (Set high speed @ 1 1/4 turn as baseline, then adjust @ 1/8 turns until smooth @ full throttle)

A little rich is better than lean, so I always open the high speed an extra 1/16 turn (lean burns up these engines).

Shut off engine and let it cool then start it up again and readjust if needed.

These engines are made to run in the winter, so do these adjustments outside in the cold.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
What he said.  ^^     especially the cold part

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 you will find that if you adjust the main/hi speed first.. then..adjust the idle/low speed...you may get better results..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the baseline suggestions are just rough starting points.  Everyone's carb is going to be a little different.  I bet if we had the same auger, same carb, etc on the same lake the both might run best with a slightly different carb setting, so don't take baseline suggestions as gospel. 

I couldn't tell you what mine is set at, but it runs mint.  I often have to tweek it a tad depending on where I'm fishing. 

Play with your settings until it throws ice chips all over the place and rips through the ice at a decent pace, and thats where you'll want it.  Be prepared to change it a tad on your next outing.  Unless you live on the lake you're fishing, don't bother trying to dial your auger in at home, just get it so it starts and runs consistently. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah, I've been trying to get this thing running right all season. I FINALLY can get it to scream at full throttle, but it won't idle for long. I have to pump the diaphragm a bit to keep it running at idle, and it's a brand new diaphragm and float jet. I am almost completely fed up. I adjusted the jet screws so much that I rounded off the screwdriver slot.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well who needs to idle anyways??  How did you round the slots out??  Are you re-seating the jets hard?  I adjust mine all the time, usually with my pocket knife, and they're fine. 

If it's working, let it work  and be happy with it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah, I don't care much, I can start it up but I pretty much have zero warm up time. I have to go full throttle within a few seconds. Oh well, it's a tough motor.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
   If it won't idle then you have to adjust your low speed mixture.
If it was set too lean you'd have a cold starting issue and you'd compensate by giving throttle to start.
Or you could have the Idle Stop Screw in so far that it is running off the High Speed.
In that case turn the low speed screw out counter clock wise. Do this in 1/8th turns till you get it to run at idle.
After you get it to run at idle its time to fine tune it.
Turn the LS screw in till the RPMs start to build. Now turn it back in till the RPMs start to drop.
That setting will be rich enough to give you good cold starts but not so rich that it'll flood.
Next adjust the idle speed by the idle speed stop screw. 
If you have this in too far from before you might have to repeat the LS adjustment again and then back to the Idle Speed Stop.

If you don't notice any change when adjusting the LS mixture its a sure bet that the low speed circuits are still plugged.
I soak carbs then spray with a cleaner. Then I use a wire to clean out the circuits and jets and repeat with the spray.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It sure seems as if the low speed circuit is plugged, because turning the jet just doesn't do anything at all. But I have soaked the carb in Gunk Carb Cleaner, then I sprayed with carb spray, used the wire to clean the jet holes and then sprayed compressed air in the jets. The thing that gets me steamed is that I am really quite good with carbs. I've rebuilt dozens of vacuum slide carbs in motorcycles which are way more complex.

I'm not touching it anymore because it cuts like mad now, I just can't let it warm up unfortunately. Thanks for the input though Frank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.